I Thought That Was A No No!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 12:47am by SHogg

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:39pm
post #31 of 48

Forgive my ignorance, but what is choc-pan?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:55pm
post #32 of 48

Choco-pan is choc fondant ! So yummy to!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:04pm
post #33 of 48

Do any of you have the Into the Oven Website? I have got to start buying it from them...I buy my Satin Ice at a Cake supplie store near me for $75.99 for 20lbs and heck I thought I was doing good....I should have looked around more....
I won't buy that there again....

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #34 of 48

Got it!!!! Thank you so much for referring the site...this will save me lots of money!!!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:36pm
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelebrationCakery

Got it!!!! Thank you s
o much for referring the site...this will save me lots of money!!!

Don't forget to enter the coupon code "October" for a 10% discount!

auntginn Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:31pm
post #36 of 48

OK.......... dark or white and what brand do you recommend (please don't say Wilton, besides I don't think they make chocolate flavored)

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:14am
post #37 of 48

auntginn.. Choco-pan is way different from Wilton Fondant. Its more like satin-ice . You just have to try it and see if you like it. I think its yummy! I think it only comes in 1 choc flavor/color . I have not seen it in light /dark etc ! I know you can buy coffee flavor and caramel,but I dont know of any other choc-pan then just choc

auntginn Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:02am
post #38 of 48

Ok, please tell me who carries it so I can order a small amount to try out. And thanks for all the info, thats why I love this site, so much to learn and do and try.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #39 of 48

The Choco-Pan company has a sampler pack they sell (or they used to anyway, I'm not sure if they still do.) I like to make my own white chocolate fondant which is similar to Choco-Pan in many respects. The recipe for that is on JenniferMI's fondant DVD.

auntginn Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:08am
post #40 of 48

I already make my own fondant and I put white chocolate in the recipe. All my family, customers, friends and students just love it.

So that's why I am asking so many questions and I'd like to buy some. To compare them, maybe I've stumbled on to something better.

auntginn Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:25am
post #42 of 48

Oh Wow, guess I'll put an order in since it comes so highly recommended and its on sale. Yippee!!!!!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:33pm
post #43 of 48

Here's our experiences in the heat and humidity of Florida. If other central Floridians have had different views, we love to learn what you did:

1. We've tried several versions of fondant and placed cakes in the refrigerator. They don't seem to run, but they seem to crust up too much and crack and become brittle.

2. We made a cherry-flavored jello fondant and that was too soft to roll out. It was thicker than most fondants are and again, it cracked. I thought we did a great job decorating it, but the cracks made it look awful. We don't even want to share with you folks.

3. Chocopan is not something we've wanted to waste our money on. We watched the owner of the company in a cake challenge and I believe it was down here in Orlando. Her material did not hold up well, it kept tearing and sagging, and I want to say Collette Peters even made a comment about it not being good in high humidity.

On a side note, I got a text message from Peter yesterday. After eating one of the cakes tried using method 2 from above, he and his staff were running up and down the main street of a world-famous theme park yelling Sugar! Sugar!

Paul

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #44 of 48

auntginn.. Like I said I have only used it for details.I have never tried to cover a whole cake in it. Im not sure what you want it for? But I love it for what I use it for ! I also use the satin-ice vanilla.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:27pm
post #45 of 48

I forgot all about Choco-Pan! So many choices!!!

I'll start with Satin Ice first.

Amy

auntginn Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:05pm
post #46 of 48

At this point, only to compare the taste of it to the recipe I already use. Then I would try different things to see how it works.

I am always looking for products that are of good quality, good taste and cost effective.

LOL

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:13pm
post #47 of 48

Well after you do the test, Let me know how it stands up to what ever you use now. PLease?

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:47am
post #48 of 48

Ok so I completed my cake covered in Choco-pan. Not only does it taste good (think tootsie roll) but it performed beautifully. I would not use it for decorations, I would stick to fondant/gumpaste for that. It can get soft, the chocolate in it reacts to the heat of your hands. And I use a thicker layer to cover that cake than what they recomend. But after covering I put the cake in the fridge overnight without any problems. There was very little sweating and shine. I was very happy with it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%