How Do You Doctor Box Mixes?

Business By chelley325 Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 1:41pm by bizatchgirl

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 13

I have a couple "signature" scratch recipes that I have been using, but have never heard of doctoring up a box of scratch mix. Was just curious what you all add to them or do differently?

12 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 13

It really just depends on what type of flavor I am going for. Some are light, fruity flavors, others are heavy and rich. I only use 2 mixes as a base....chocolate, vanilla. I used the cake mix doctor as a starting point for inspiration...but I don't use any of her recipes...if that makes any sense.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #3 of 13

What, or who, is the cake mix doctor?

Thanks,
Mandy

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:54am
post #4 of 13

Normally I add a box of pudding, 1 c buttermilk and and extra egg to start off with. From there I might add some spices or extra flavorings depending on what I want. Right now I am primarily a box baker, or as I prefer to say, my cakes start life off as a box. I am trying to slowly find scratch recipes that match my box ones.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:03am
post #5 of 13

The Cake Mix Doctor is Ann Byrn who wrote the Cake Mix Doctor books. They are very good and offer a lot of cool ideas with extenders. I highly recommend them. However if you make her frostings, double them or you'll never have enough. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #6 of 13

I have the Cake Doctor book and I love it! I have one easy white cake in there that gets used once a month at least and it always gets RAVE reviews and so easy. I've only used 3 or 4 recipes from the book so far but they've all been hits. I made one chocolate lovers one and froze it and people just couldn't get enough of it!! I had heard that freezing box mixes changes the texture, but I'd never seen it before that. Yum!

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:13am
post #7 of 13

so are the recipes in the The cake mix doctor good enough alone?? or would it be necessary to doctor them up? (no pun intended) to taste better?? i have considered that book before, but wasn't sure. icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:16am
post #8 of 13

I think they are fine as they are but I've also been known to "tweak" a recipe or two to my personal taste. I would suggest picking a recipe, make it as she wrote it and make notes on it (add more lemon; lose the almond flavoring; double the Vanilla, etc.) Whatever you think it needs. Make it yours!! icon_biggrin.gif

DAviles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DAviles Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:24am
post #9 of 13

Bizatchgirl~

Are you referring to the basic white sour cream cake in the back, I just recently bought the book and was going to try that one first?

Thanks for any input
Dee

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 13

Thnx wonderbuns!! (cute name btw) have a great day!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 7:11am
post #11 of 13

I haven't tried a white sour cream yet. Now I've tried white chocolate peach, strawberry, a chocolate lovers one, and a simple white one. Sorry, I don't have the book handy. The white one I tried uses melted butter and whole milk instead of the oil and water. It's such a simple substitution but makes all the difference.

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:02am
post #12 of 13

I don't have the book but it sounds cool....

I did a french vanilla box mix and added vanilla caramel coffee creamer and then banana cream pudding.... oh man... then I covered the cake in drk chocolate fondant!! Oh man... my new fave cake!!! I absolutely love adding the coffe creamer and pudding into the cake!!

Kim

bizatchgirl Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 13

Kim, I'm trying to find a coffee creamer that is truly non-dairy. Can you tell me what kind yours is? Does it have cassein in it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%