Strawberry Buttercream Icing?

Baking By bathoryjones Updated 29 May 2013 , 6:58pm by aem1029

bathoryjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bathoryjones Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have a good Strawberry buttercream icing recipe? I have a request for a 1/2 Strawberry icing, 1/2 Vanilla buttercream icing so I was hoping to use 2 buttercream recipes to make them look like the same consistancy. I have an awesome strawberry cream cheese icing recipe but not a buttercream. Thanks!!

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 9

An easy strawberry b/c recipe fix would be to use your favorite vanilla b/c recipe and substitute strawberry extract for the vanilla.

I buy McCormick's at my grocery, but most cake decorating shops carry strawberry. icon_smile.gif

Or you could use icing fruit:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-591057-.html

If you don't have a favorite b/c recipe...

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked cake:
(Has WASC and frosting recipes and much more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 9

Add a small amount of crushed fresh strawberries to plain stiff buttercream - it's fabulous. Just add the crushed strawberries slowly until your consistency is right.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 9

I was going to suggest adding in some extract and pureed strawberries as well.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 9

Adding strawberry jam also makes a great strawberry buttercream. Just add to taste. You may still want some extract, it takes a lot of jam to get a strong flavor.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 9

Strawberry extract all the way. If you use McCormick's it will give a pink tint. If you use a clear extract, you would have to add a few drops of red food color if you want a pink tint.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 9

I use a combination of strawberry extract, strawberry preserves, and frozen strawberries in syrup thawed. I use mainly the syrup out of it and save the strawberrys for filling. I try not to use too much extract otherwise you will get an aftertaste, that kinda fake strawberry taste that you get with some candy. I dont like that in my frostings so I try to use it sparingly and try to use more of the other so that it gives more of a fresh taste.

Cher2051 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2051 Posted 29 May 2013 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 9

This may be a stupid question but do you still add the butter flavoring along with the strawberry flavoring?? Or do you just substitute the strawberry for the vanilla and that is all you put in the frosting?

aem1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aem1029 Posted 29 May 2013 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 9

I cook down strawberries and sugar on low for about an hour, puree and add to vanilla buttercream and it gets rave reviews!  1 cup cut up strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar, cook on low.  It's sooo good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%