Advice Please For Cake This Afternoon

Decorating By PattyT Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 7:56pm by PattyT

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 21

Cinderella cake - Doll cake is going on wilton plate top of the pillars.
Chocolate transfers still to go on side - the mice, fairy godmother etc.

The blue & white flowers around the pillars looked kind of bland, so I added the candy pumpkins for color (cheated at last minute, I know).

Question is: Are the pumpkins a "jarring" color? I still have time to take them off and smooth the buttercream.

Probably won't see them anyway when the plate/doll cake go on.

THANKS ALL for any advice.
Pat

Pictures randomly showing or not...I guess try right-click and show?
LL
LL

20 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 21

I think they look fine - a cute touch!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 21

I think the pumpkins look great, especially for a Cinderella cake....they're perfect!

PattyT Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 21

Thanks so much....I'll leave them. Needed some reassurance. You know how you want to keep adding things...

I'll post finished pic tonight or tomorrow.

THANKS for the advice.

PattyT Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:33am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

Thanks so much....I'll leave them. Needed some reassurance. You know how you want to keep adding things...

I'll post finished pic tonight or tomorrow.

THANKS for the advice.

Sorry for the delay...here's the picture. After all that, my panic wasn't even necessary - they hardly show with the tier so low.

Thank you anyway - I appreciate you coming to my aid.

Pat
LL

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 21

Ohhhh....it turned out WONDERFUL! Good job!!!! icon_smile.gif

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 21

Wow! It is gorgeous!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 21

that looks great. My DD would love this cake.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 21

icon_eek.gif That is drop dead gorgeous! Where did you find the doll? Is it a cinderella barbie or an actual doll pick?

Give us the scoop on how you made that beautiful dress! and the mice and godmother oh plz plz......

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 21

Never would have thought of doing the dress that way, but its fabulous!!!!

PattyT Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 21

Thanks! Everyone was so nice to respond to my "plea for help". If I ever do another, I might raise it up a touch so the pumpkins DO end up showing!

The doll is a Cinderella Barbie provided by the Mom.

Cake is Wonder Mold and 8" layer sitting on a Wilton plate. Skirt is fondant. I made a form the shape of the Wonder Mold using a coffee can and foil ('cause I needed the Wonder Mold to bake in), then a layer of thin foam (like what goes under laminate flooring). I taped the foam down into the "swoopy" shape and lay the fondant skirt on it to dry (weeks!). When I assembled the cake, I iced the two cakes together, and set the skirt on top. Pushed the tightly plastic wrapped Barbie down through the hole in the skirt into the cake, then dressed her bodice, sleeves and trim to cover the seam.

The "Happy Birthday" and the mice pictures are chocolate transfers, stuck to the side of the 12" round with extra SMBC.

There were also matching Cinderella cookies (more choc transfers) and blue ball gowns.

When I posted the picture, I thanked the many people who responded to my PMs about construction of doll cakes. Plus all the beautiful doll cakes already posted...I wouldn't have attempted this without all the help from Cake Central.

So it bears repeating again...Cake Central is truly an inspiration.
THANK YOU ALL for help and advice.

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 21

This is absolutely wonderful!!!!!

i'm still new at this, can someone tell me how to do the chocolate transfers? love how they turned out.

thanks!
Aimee

PattyT Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:08pm
post #13 of 21

I have a sheet. I posted some cookies with them which generated several requests for info, so I typed one up. Do you want me to PM you with it?

I also found some info online, and I just got the Whimsical Bakehouse cookbook and they describe them in detail.

Pat

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 21

PattyT, can you please PM me with the chocolate transfer instructions, too! Your cake turned out amazing! I'm not sure I would be brave enough to try that!

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:26pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

I have a sheet. I posted some cookies with them which generated several requests for info, so I typed one up. Do you want me to PM you with it?

I also found some info online, and I just got the Whimsical Bakehouse cookbook and they describe them in detail.

Pat

Please do. love the cookies as well.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:26pm
post #16 of 21

Pat, your cake is Awesome!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif !!! I love the details. You did a wonderful job, you should be proud. thumbs_up.gif

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 21

Wow! Your doll cake is fantastic! What a wonderful cake, I bet you really made some little girl's day!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #18 of 21

Great job! I recognize the Disney font you used. Awesome!

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 21

PattyT - the orange pumpkins are the complementary color to blue. That means it is in the opposite side of the color wheel. Your eye chose the perfect color and you didn't even know it!! Good work!! And your cake is gorgeous!!

Nancy

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:49pm
post #20 of 21

Absolutely fabulous job!!!! Can I please have choc transfer pattern, too?

Your beautiful Cinderella has really inspired me! I bought 13 (yes, 13) of the little Madame Alexander wicked witch (green face) dolls that McD had as Happy Meal girl toys reently. Bought the small wonder molds and will make little witch cakes. And they may have swishy skirts, too! Thanks for the inspiration!

PattyT Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:56pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinkema

Absolutely fabulous job!!!! Can I please have choc transfer pattern, too?

Your beautiful Cinderella has really inspired me! I bought 13 (yes, 13) of the little Madame Alexander wicked witch (green face) dolls that McD had as Happy Meal girl toys reently. Bought the small wonder molds and will make little witch cakes. And they may have swishy skirts, too! Thanks for the inspiration!

Wow...I'd love to see those! Be sure to post them.

tracycakes...thanks for noticing the font. I thought it would add authenticity.

grammyna...purely accidental !! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%