I'm Back Again! How Do I Make This Wedding Cake

Decorating By tytyrita Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 3:08pm by cakemommy

tytyrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tytyrita Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help on my last wedding cake it was a success and the bride loved it. I've got another order, much simpler but i'm not sure how the cake was displayed and what the green ruffles where made of and how to recreate them. I seem as if the cakes are floating, are they stacked or pillared? any help and advice will be greatly appreciated many thanks
LL

13 replies
meganmo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmo27 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 14

It looks like they used the "tall tier cake stand" you can find it on wilton's site. I have no idea what the green things are. they almost look like lettuce. does the bride specifically want all edible or would she be okay with flowers or some kind of greenery?

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 14

The green florals look like very open carnations, possibly fresh or you could make them out of gumpaste/fondant 50/50 mixture.

Can you find out who made the cake and go to their website? I've even contacted the person and asked questions - sometime you get lucky and get the answer you want. Good luck!

tytyrita Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 14

I'm working with a wedding planner, she's not sure what the green stuff is but she's happy for me you use a non- edible material, i think they may be silk flowers or just fabric

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 14

You could also use the Wilton Hidden Pillars http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3119F0-475A-BAC0-5772682F766C019C&killnav=1 to give you space between the tiers. That's what I used on this cake, http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1119353 , and tucked the florals in between the tiers.

I also think these are green carnations.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 14

They're not Hydrangeas are they? The white ones start as a greenish tint It's hard to see in that picture.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:00am
post #7 of 14

Just in case you didnt know: The bottom and top tiers are done with an impression mat. The bottom is a basket weave pattern - put smooth fondant on that tier first and then wrap the scalloped basket weave around the bottom. Impression pearls (looks like 1/2 pearls) are then placed to hide the scalloped seam. Looks hard but super-crazy easy. You can buy them on Global Sugar Art and other supply sites.

tytyrita Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 14

Hi everyone i've made the cake, and my! oh my! what DRAMA! I had less than a week to make the cakes. The original cake maker had an accident, they had already given her 75% of the money and couldn't ask for their money back as she was in a coma, after a severe road accident.
Anyways, so i start to make the cakes on mon, 14,12,10,8 & 6, madeira,coconut,marble,coffee and fruit cakes respectively.As time was of the essence i had to use silk flowers and we(event planner & I) went for carnation in orange.
So come thurs night, i sent her a photo of what i'd done so far.. she called back saying she wanted the cake in ivory not white! from the pic she sent, i thot the cakes were white, so i had to scrape all the cakee and covered again in Ivory. She also said the flowers looked squash and sparse btw the tiers so i had to get more, well on sat, got to the venue with the cakes and lo and behold she had new flowers she wanted on the cakes!, so i had to take all the ones i had on off and put hers! Gosh and all this for just a measly £400, i charge so little cos i felt sorry for them as per the money they could not get back from the original cake maker. I'm attaching the photos of the before and after. Thanks for all your input and sorry this is so long, i had to get it off my chest..lol
LL
LL
LL

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 14

Wow! Sorry there was such drama. Your cake turned out beautifully, and I like the flowers you put originally MUCH better! At least it's over now, and next time charge 'em through the butt! LOL! Again, great cake!

rnp3603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnp3603 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 14

Your flowers looked way better!!!! Hers are too big for the cake, they hide the beautiful design on the side of the tiers. As long as she was happy, is all that matters. Good job!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:22am
post #11 of 14

Tyty, you're nicer than I would have been. I would have said, if you want ivory it'll cost more $ since I've already iced it and if you want me to redecorate the cake it'll cost more $. I didn't charge you a rush fee or my normal fee, but these extra requests can merit such costs. Yours was sooooo much prettier! Did you use carnations in between tiers? What gave the ruffle effect?

tytyrita Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:36am
post #12 of 14

Thanks Dandelion56602, i've learnt my leasson now, i know i'm too much of a push over, need to grow some spine and stand up to demanding customer.
Yes i used carnation and brown roses as orange and brown was the colour scheme, but mine were smaller.
And thank you toodlesjupiter and rnp3603

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:04pm
post #13 of 14

My husband and I both agree that your flowers are so much better than hers! You did a great job.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:08pm
post #14 of 14

I do much prefer your flowers. The are more vibrant, SMALLER, and have texture what with the multiple colors.

I would have been furious if I had to take off the fondant and do it over. Girl, you are too nice. Not that I would be mean but I would have said something to the fact that it will tear up the cakes if you pulled the fondant off. You had even detailed the tiers for goodness sakes! I don't know what you charged is equal to in dollars but I hope she was happy with it.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%