Using Candy Clay For The First Time

Decorating By sisspence Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm by TooMuchCake

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 6

I am wanting to use candy clay today for the first time. I made it a yesterday. My question is, can I cover the entire cake with it like fondant? It really taste good and I really want to cover the cake with it, but will it work.
thanks in advance

5 replies
mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 6

I can't speak from experience, because I have never done it. However, you CAN wrap a cake in chocolate. There are a couple of tutorials on the Cake Decorating thread (right at the top). As far as completely covering, I am sure you could probably get it to work, but you might not be happy with the results. I am afraid that it would probably crack and break as you try to cover the cake.

HTH, and you get someone more familiar to give an accurate answer.

Mandi

sisspence Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 6

Well I can now say that I am speaking from experiance. I did it and it worked great. The cake was square, so I rolled the clay out, and cut it out in 4 panals for the sides and the top panal. Used a crimped at all the seams. It worked great, I don't think I will ever go back to fondant. Oh yea, it's tastes great too....

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 6

. . . did you use the recipe from this site to make your candy clay . . .

sisspence Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #5 of 6

I dont think so, if I remember right I just done a google search..but here it is.
14 oz candy melts
1/3 cup corn syrup
I used the smaller melts that come in a 2 lb. bag for chocolate fountains or fondue.
I used this recipe times 4 to make sure I had enough for the cake and the cake board.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 6

If you want to cover your cake in modeling chocolate the same way you do with fondant, you can mix a little fondant into it to give it a little stretch. I've mixed them as much as half-and-half. Works great and tastes good, too. I don't cover cakes in 100% modeling chocolate unless they're about 8" or less because I find the choc gets cracky and it doesn't look as good.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%