Servsafe Certification?

Business By springlakecake Updated 29 Dec 2011 , 12:05am by kellertur

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:04am
post #31 of 35

I did the 30 hour class. I'm getting ready to do the 8 hour refresher sometime within the next year also since mine will be coming up soon.

Karateka- you take the test at the end of the last class usually. Depends on your instructor though. The test is not really that difficult. Some of the questions though will have 2 or 3 correct answers and you have to pick the most correct one...I hate that, but it's only on a few of them. Most of it is pretty common sense though. There are many different versions of the test so that way if someone needs to re-take it, they don't get the same questions.

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:19pm
post #32 of 35

I did the 30 hour class as well. And it was well worth it. However, I tend to disagree with the those that say it is mostly common sense. It is to me now that I've taken it but afterwards your whole outlook on food service and how you run your kitchen will change. icon_biggrin.gif

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:39am
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

Jessica,

Email me if you want some quick tips on it. When I took the course, my prof went through and told us the ones he'd seen on the test before and the ones he'd never seen in giving the test over the last 15 years. I starred them in my book so I can pull the list together for you of ones to concentrate on.

I am a certified proctor for ServSafe. When your professor discussed possible test questions, he was actually in breach of his promise/oath/contract to ServSafe. As a private proctor, I charge for mileage, a nominal fee for travel time and the two hours the test taker is alloted for the test. Is it expensive? It certainly adds up but it only needs to be renewed every few years (if you've studied and don't fail the test!!) and sometimes it's hard to find a class that fits your schedule, so many do self study and then call a proctor.

I'm really good at tests and a professional culinarian and still OH SO GLAD I studied.

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #34 of 35

I have my servsafe certificate. I agree that some of the information you learn you may already be aware of, but not all of it. After taking the course and the test I realize that it would have been much more difficult if I had taken it without having a live instructor. I got a good score on the test, but not without studying almost daily.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 12:05am
post #35 of 35

Much of that test was just common sense, especially if you already have excellent hygiene. Anyone who washes their hands in the kitchen sink after using the bathroom (in my opinion) is not anyone I want to prepare my food. I found the test quite simple. It all depends on your state, but here it's pretty much useless for the home baker (the info is all in the state handbook anyway). It's flaunted here by some who shouldn'tt be preparing certain things in their homes to feel justified.
What counts here is an updated state license and city permit AND following the rules of what is and isn't considered hazardous foods. I can see the use in taking the course if someone owns a storefront and has to train employees.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%