Wire On Cakes

Decorating By dolphincake Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm by sweetcravings

dolphincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphincake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 16

I'm about to use wire on a cake for the first time. I'm planing on inserting about 15 of this wires near each other. Any tips, tricks, ideas or anything I should keep in mind?
Is it actually safe to insert this wires in the cake?

15 replies
alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 16

Don't stick the wires right into the cake, the weight of them can slice the cake. Put those little straws that you stir coffee with into the cake, then slide the wires inside them.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 16

Ditto.

I can put 4 or 5 wires inside a coffee stirrer, but if you only plan on using one wire per straw, you can stuff the straw with fondant to keep the wires from spinning around inside the straw.

dolphincake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 16

That's a good tip! Could I use a regular type of straw and insert a few of the wired in it or would it be too flaccid?

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 16

You will probably get a lot of different thoughts on this.

Finding FDA approved wire is hard and expensive when you do.

I use coffee stirs and put the wires in the skinny straws. Some have dipped the wire in royal icing or chocolate.

If you are going to put in the cake without anything protecting the wire then I put in a the last minutes. Some people have a customers complain about a wire taste in the cake and in some cases white cake will get a rust color from the wire sitting in the cake. I know Duff put wire in his cake put he puts it in the last minute. So, it is up to, Lindsey Smith uses straws.

good luck.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 16

Im also doing the wires for the first time this weekend and I plan to use straws, Just seems right that they might move around with out anything to lean on ,But Like I said its my first time to .

dolphincake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 16

Thank you so much everyone! You all are great. I honestly had to double think about the wire in the cake for obvious reasons and I think the stirrers will be really helpful on this and I still will insert the wires last minute. Thank you!

crazy4cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4cupcakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 16

I've also wondered what type of wire people use on their cakes. Is it just florist wire or is there special food safe wire that you can buy?

Thanks

dolphincake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 16

I think by what one of the girls said there is a FDA approved one but is up to you.

When it comes to the stirrers do you insert them down to the cake level? so nothing is showing up?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 16

Yes, push them down so you can't see them. I just use floral wire inside the straws.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 16

I've been wondering these same things......I'm curious though, doesn't the coffee stirrer leave a hole showing in the top of the icing? Or is it too small to matter?

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:56pm
post #12 of 16

I do not have coffee stirrers, so I just use regular drinking straws and put fondant in the bottom. I just frost over them, so there is no marks, or I put a ball of fondant on top as well to help stabelize them. It just depends on the situation.

Stephanie

dolphincake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:05pm
post #13 of 16

Great ideas! Thanks everyone.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #14 of 16

I just made a cake with stars attached to wires..i had a bit of frustration with them..here is what happened. I placed the wires in the smallest straws i could find but they still twirled around..ugh..I tried putting all the wires in one small straw and still spinning...ugh.. I tried putting a little fondant in the straw as best i could but when i inserted the wire it pushed the fondant out..spinning wire..ugh..Then my dh suggested i take a small peice of wire and with needle nose plyers just wrap a small amount of the wire around all the wires tight. This kept them from spinning and made a nice pkg of sorts. I then placed the whole bundle into the small straw..and that in a regular straw...it was nice and tight no moving around. HTH.. I cut out a fondant star and pushed the one straw into the top of the cake..it gave a nice finished look and sealed the straw in.

dolphincake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:49pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

I just made a cake with stars attached to wires..i had a bit of frustration with them..here is what happened. I placed the wires in the smallest straws i could find but they still twirled around..ugh..I tried putting all the wires in one small straw and still spinning...ugh.. I tried putting a little fondant in the straw as best i could but when i inserted the wire it pushed the fondant out..spinning wire..ugh..Then my dh suggested i take a small peice of wire and with needle nose plyers just wrap a small amount of the wire around all the wires tight. This kept them from spinning and made a nice pkg of sorts. I then placed the whole bundle into the small straw..and that in a regular straw...it was nice and tight no moving around. HTH.. I cut out a fondant star and pushed the one straw into the top of the cake..it gave a nice finished look and sealed the straw in.

Hey! I was actually asking cause I'm working with stars too! haha
Thanks so much for the idea! Does by any chance you have any pics of the cake?
Thanks again!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm
post #16 of 16

The cake is posted in my photos and on my picasa web album under children cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%