80S Retro Themed Cake?? - Cassette Tape

Decorating By lilmansmum Updated 1 Jul 2013 , 11:02am by Loverofcakes20

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 8

Well I was recently asked to do a cake that looked like a cassette tape for a 13-year old who was having an 80s themed party. (Are the 80s really "retro"????? I don't think so!!!! Man, I must be getting old...) Anyway, I was sure I'd find tons of cakes that fit the theme here on CC, but to my surprise, I couldn't find anything like what they were wanting. I had to pretty much design it myself! This never happens....I am always inspired by SOMETHING from CC! I was a bit worried, but everything turned out okay in the end. The birthday girl was happy. I have it in my photos, but I'll attach a pic of the final product here too. She wanted the cake to have some of her favorite songs listed on it.

So if anyone else has a request for a cassette tape cake, maybe I can provide some inspiration. It was a fun cake to do.
LL
LL

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 8

That came out AWESOME.

Totally unrelated, but your avatar pic of (I'm assuming) your daughter is ADORABLE. She is just a precious little pixie!

lilmansmum Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 8

PinkZiab....thank you for the compliments on my cake AND my little girl. icon_smile.gif [/quote]

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 8

LOVE it!

markandjacksmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markandjacksmum Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:17am
post #5 of 8

Love your cake! Hope you don't mind that I'm using it for inspiration for an 80s themed cake I have in 2 weeks.
Can I ask how big this cake is, and did you cover it in fondant?
I have to do a full sized sheet cake (gulp!) and am wondering what to cover it on. I think fondant will be too heavy (it's a sponge) yet I don't have a fridge big enough for a buttercream covered cake.
Any suggestions woudl be greatly appreciated!

lilmansmum Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 8

It is a 12x18 cake and it is covered in buttercream.

markandjacksmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markandjacksmum Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you
I must say I'm extra impressed now - the finish looks too smooth to be buttercream! thumbs_up.gif

Loverofcakes20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loverofcakes20 Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 11:02am
post #8 of 8

AHi I was wondering can i get the recipe of the cake before Thursday

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%