Exceeding Expectations

Business By Kitagrl Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm by marmalade1687

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 36

I hear alot..."Thank you so much for the cake! You exceeded our expectations!"

Does this mean the cake was out of this world, or does this mean they were scared to death to order a cake from a home baker?

LOL! I have a hard time figuring this one out sometimes! Either way, I guess its a good thing!

35 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 36

judging from your pics...you just blew them away....that stacked cowboy cake is awesome......you really nailed the tooled leather look, and the hat was great...(i'm in oklahoma so that one caught my eye)....the others are stunning too...good work!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 36

DH and I crack up whenever someone says I've "exceeded their expectations". What kind of crap were they expecting? "Gee, Diane, we never expected anything this nice from YOU."

I know it's a compliment, but it still sounds a little backhanded. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

DH and I crack up whenever someone says I've "exceeded their expectations". What kind of crap were they expecting? "Gee, Diane, we never expected anything this nice from YOU."

I know it's a compliment, but it still sounds a little backhanded. icon_smile.gif

LOL yeah! I just got an email from a bride and she said that and I felt like maybe she was expecting cheap junk from me or something....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 36

geesh, I hate it when people use "current trend corporate buzzwords".

"exceeded our expectations". Whatever happened to "Wow! What an awesome cake!"

Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

LOL well in the same email was "rave reviews", was it you in a recent thread who grumbled about that, too? haha....

Well hopefully I'll get such a reputation that soon people will be saying "This cake met every one of my expectations" LOL....

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:47am
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

LOL well in the same email was "rave reviews", was it you in a recent thread who grumbled about that, too? haha....

Well hopefully I'll get such a reputation that soon people will be saying "This cake met every one of my expectations" LOL....

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I have Rave Reviews on my website. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
icon_surprised.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:28am
post #8 of 36

I have people consistently tell me that the guests all "raved" about the cake...I always picture a bunch of screaming guests stampeding around the reception.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:20am
post #9 of 36

Hi Suzy-
First of all, I think your website is great! You have some fabulous cakes in your portfolio on CC as well as your site. I think my favorite is the stacked one that resembles a quilt. My jaw dropped.

I must say though, that I noticed this quote on your site:
"I want to make sure your cake will meet or exceed your hopes and expectations."

Reading the OP and then this quote confused me a bit. No big deal...just sayin', ya know?

*<ducks from flying objects>*

littlecake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:23am
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I have people consistently tell me that the guests all "raved" about the cake...I always picture a bunch of screaming guests stampeding around the reception.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!! NOW THAT'S FUNNY!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #11 of 36

o.k. here's one, I THINK this one is supose to be a compliment...sometimes I not sure...

(I don't own a business but have done some fun cakes.)

So, my sister is always telling me, "I think you missed your real calling in life".

It doesn't feel like a compliment! icon_confused.gif

It does make you crazy to hear stuff your not sure of the meaning!!!

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:51am
post #12 of 36

How about when someone at church or a shower says something like, "OMG, you did that?"

Well, yes. I told you I would make the cake. What did they expect?

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #13 of 36

There is a lady that lives in my town, our kids went to school and played sports together, went to church. Anyway I haven't seen her in a while until recently. She was at a wedding a couple of weeks ago that I did both of the cakes for and I did the cake for her future DIL's shower (I was asked by her daughter who still comes to our church) this past Sunday. She called me Mon night just to tell me how pretty the cake was and how moist it was and everyone was commenting on how good it was. I ran into her tonight and she said someone called her today to get my number so they could order a cake. Anyway I told my husband she just seem really "suprised" that I am able to do cakes. I really do appreciate when I get compliments on the looks and taste of my cakes, I was just a little tickled about the way she complimented them. The daughter is getting married May 09 and I am doing her cakes.
I don't have any pics on CC because I can't figure how to resize so they will fit. I'm computer stupid.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Hi Suzy-
First of all, I think your website is great! You have some fabulous cakes in your portfolio on CC as well as your site. I think my favorite is the stacked one that resembles a quilt. My jaw dropped.

"I want to make sure your cake will meet or exceed your hopes and expectations."

Reading the OP and then this quote confused me a bit. No big deal...just sayin', ya know?

Um....yeah...gotta agree with this poster! You've got it right on your website!! They're just letting you know!

Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Hi Suzy-

Um....yeah...gotta agree with this poster! You've got it right on your website!! They're just letting you know!

LOL I thought about that! haha.... I guess I have it on there because I DO have people who come to me, nervous, because they really like what they see on my site...but then here I am in my home a mom of four kids...and I can tell that they are like thinking "I hope this turns out as good as the website pictures..."

So I do want to assure them that the cake will be everything they thought it would be...but I guess when they actually SAY it, it comes to light that they really WERE kinda nervous to order from me!

I wasn't complaining, just thinking its funny when people say that, because it reveals they may have been very nervous to order from a "home baker". LOL. (Though I am licensed and insured...)

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:02pm
post #16 of 36

Suzy,

I absolutely love the cake with the snail topper... Did you use a baby blanket pattern?

My daughter's bedding matches your cake!!! LOVE IT!

Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 36

Thank you! Yes I used the baby blanket picture to match the cake...

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #18 of 36

Yup, I've had this a few times, it and does feel like a back handed compliment!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:11am
post #19 of 36

Well...you could always change your wording on that sentence icon_smile.gif

I don't know why anyone would be nervous ordering from you - your cakes are amazing!!!

Do they come to your home for meetings? I'm a licensed home baker too...but I'm also a member of a local wedding company, and that allows me to have my meetings and tastings in their office space, which is REALLY nice, and a lot cheaper than running a shop/renting space.

Anyway, I love your work!! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:19am
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Well...you could always change your wording on that sentence icon_smile.gif

I don't know why anyone would be nervous ordering from you - your cakes are amazing!!!

Do they come to your home for meetings? I'm a licensed home baker too...but I'm also a member of a local wedding company, and that allows me to have my meetings and tastings in their office space, which is REALLY nice, and a lot cheaper than running a shop/renting space.

Anyway, I love your work!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you!

Well maybe I should change it LOL....I do meet them in my home (I have hubby take the kids, make sure everything is presentable, and they sit on our nice new sofas and we chat about the cake and they eat their tasting cakes). I just feel that I want people to know that they don't have to worry about some kind of cake disaster coming from this "home baker". (I guess it COULD happen LOL, it probably will eventually!).

I just find it funny when they do say I exceeded their expectations...I feel like, "Yep, I knew it! You WERE nervous to order from me!" lol....

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:17pm
post #21 of 36

awww come on guys! It is DEFINITELY a compliment!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #22 of 36

My fav comment is "Thanks for the amazing cake...people actually ATE it!!"

I understand that they have been to other weddings where the cake has been dry and yucky, so most of it has NOT been eaten, but for goodness sake...(LOL)!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:08pm
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

I understand that they have been to other weddings where the cake has been dry and yucky, so most of it has NOT been eaten, but for goodness sake...(LOL)!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

I know, I don't quite understand the current reputation for cake decorators but everyone always seems so shocked that a cake can look AND taste good, both at the SAME TIME!!!! icon_lol.gif

marmalade1687 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:22pm
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I know, I don't quite understand the current reputation for cake decorators but everyone always seems so shocked that a cake can look AND taste good, both at the SAME TIME!!!! icon_lol.gif

Believe me, I use that shock factor in my consultations that if the couple books with me, that strange but true, their wedding cake too can taste good, AND look good at the same time!! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

littlecake Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:04pm
post #25 of 36

well that's what a customer told duff last night...(for a big cake and 70 (UGH) tiny cakes)....

didn't seem to hurt their feelings ha ha ha

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:09pm
post #26 of 36

Here I actually find that people expect a better cake from a home baker...My little brother lives in a Atlanta and for his wedding my future sil (who is too snobish to order from a home baker) ordered the cake from a big "muckety muk" cakery there. He (the cake guy) acted like royalty, wouldn't make the cake size they needed, it was too small for him, so made a dummy layer, charged an arm and a leg for a very plain/boring cake that tasted soo bad it was not edible... A box mix cake would have been better. I actuallt went into this guy's website before the wedding trying to figure out why they wouldn't let me make their cake, and was intimidated and actually doubted my cake making abilities after seeing it, it made him sound soo fancy and knowledgeable, NOT! icon_lol.gif

marmalade1687 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:25pm
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

muckety muk

Love it!! A new addition to the CC dictionary meaning snobby cakeries!!! thumbs_up.gif

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:03pm
post #28 of 36

I totally agree with everyone's comments. My personal favorite is, "It tastes as good as it looks!" Like I'm gonna make some beautiful cake that tastes terrible? People are so funny...

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:15pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ROTFLMAO

This one is my favorite so far!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #30 of 36

It is always a compliment, but I think people who say "YOU made the cake?" or something to that affect, just mean that they are surprised that someone who is seemingly "normal" like them has the ability to do it.

You just never know what someone has a talent for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%