Help!! Book Cake

Decorating By cocakedecorator Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 2:39pm by superca_girl

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! I need help. I want to make my husband a book cake for his b-day since he is an avid reader. I am at a total loss. What size cake pan should I start with and how do I get the edges of the book cover on the cake. I am thinking a 9x13 stacked and carved in on the edges a bit to get the over hang of the cover and then cover in fondant.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 3

You can make any size you want--this one in the picture below has fondant pages that I didn't get the fondant rolled out good enough so the corners had to curl up and look old timey--the pages around the sides are simply done with a fork--if you clean the fork after each swipe around the pages are smoother if you leave the tines messy you get the raggedy edges like the photo. I only fondanted the top.

The dark spots on mine are air-brushed black--the 'threads' there on the binding is just a squiggly piping line.

http://acmecakes.com/images/RIMG02802.JPG

And I had to slip another 'page' under the top left corner--the top one was way too short!

Open a book and look at it--for inspiration--you'll do fine.

Some bookworm thoughts for you.
signed,
bookstore manager icon_lol.gif

superca_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superca_girl Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 3

I used the wilton book pan. Then just like k8memphis I covered it in BC then just the top page in fondant and I also put a thick border around the outside for the cover. Carving would also work but the pan is inexpensive and a time saver. Good Luck, I'm sure it will turn out perfect!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%