Wilton Color Mist -Food Color Spray

Decorating By Deniro Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 2:16am by AmieW

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:34am
post #1 of 21

Has anybody used this product? How well does it work. I don't have an airbrush or never have worked with one. Please advice!

20 replies
OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 21

I've never used them, but wonder about them everytime I see them in the grocery isle. I'd like some opinions on them too.

Here's a bump. icon_lol.gif

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 21

I tried it and it's not bad in a pinch. Color is not real deep but it's there and some colors didn't show up well at all. It stays wet longer than I'd like so be careful if using a stencil. On a scale of 1 - 10 I'd give it a 5.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 21

Good to know....I've been tempted to get them, so I can put off getting the airbrush kit longer....

Thanks!

Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 21

I've tried them. They dont spray as fine as an airbrush. Sometimes they spit and sputter, leaving large drops of color on your icing. They are ok in a pinch, but save your money and invest in an airbrush system. You'll be glad you did.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 21

Since I don't do cakes on a regular basis (and in fact, will be retiring soon....watch for online rummage sale! LOL) I use them. You do have to be careful and OH MY GOODNESS the SPRAY FACTOR! LOL I have to practically clean the CEILING at the church kitchen when I use them! I'm SURE it's not the operator's fault! LOL

Keep on Cakin'!!

Beth in KY

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 21

I don't have an airbrush kit yet and I use them alot. I haven't had any trouble and the cakes always turn out very good. thumbs_up.gif

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 21

I've used them for highlighting.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 21

i needed a black tint on a cake, tried wilton's............was terrible. i was very dissastisfied. tried 3 different cans it didnt work. maybe it was the black color, will never buy it again.

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 21

I've used them fairly successfully. The trick is to make sure you don't spray them too close to your object or cake. Nice smooth and light sprays work best (I practiced on paper to get the feel of it and the look I wanted). You'll have to do a few layers to achieve deeper color. It works best on really smooth surfaces (like gumpaste or very smooth buttercream). I'll agree with what I'm reading here about the sputtering and splotching, but just make sure you wipe the spray nozzle off frequently and you'll find that doesn't happen as often. The blue color on the top of this cake and the starfish were both colored with the Wilton spray color. I actually layered yellow and red sprays to make the starfish color and I was happy with the results. Then I made the dots with gel color thinned with vodka. It's definitely not the precision of an airbrush (definitely cover any surfaces around what you're spraying!), but if you're not in a position to buy one, it makes a decent alternative. Like an airbrush though, practice helps! Good luck!
LL

flbeachbummom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flbeachbummom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 21

I've used them with buttercream and they have done quite good.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:21pm
post #12 of 21

Thank you for this thread. I too, have been wondering how they work. Want to get some for Halloween and the cute lil cake wilton had for tinker bell.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 21

They are great for us non airbrush owners...I agree that they do splatter every now and then. Do cover the cabinets behind and beside it will make a mess and lol don't breathe in while you are spraying....I have had a blue nose on more than once!!!!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 21

I used them for the first time on this cake and was fairly pleased with the results--I still want an airbrush though. I also used the spray on my beach scene cake and layered the colors to get a deeper blue contrast between the sea and the sky--also in my pics right next to this one! I covered eveything in the surrounding area with newspaper before spraying though!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1264889.html

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:06pm
post #15 of 21

I have used them a number of times because I don't have an airbrush and I think they work okay. I agree with all the previous posts about how to use them. You do have to do it in layers to get the color you want and it helps to cover the area around the cake when spraying. As I'm not an artist, I am always nervous about using the sprays that I might do it wrong, but so far the cakes have looked pretty good...at least I think so.

kcw551 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #16 of 21

I have used them a number of times because I don't have an airbrush and I think they work okay. I agree with all the previous posts about how to use them. You do have to do it in layers to get the color you want and it helps to cover the area around the cake when spraying. As I'm not an artist, I am always nervous about using the sprays that I might do it wrong, but so far the cakes have looked pretty good...at least I think so.

kcw551 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:23pm
post #17 of 21

sorry...double post!

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:05pm
post #18 of 21

I've only used the black (I do NOT reccommend the black) and it worked OK for what I needed it for - a dusky dark sky look. Definately test it out on a piece of paper before using!!! I'm sure the other colors will work better than the black.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:54pm
post #19 of 21

I used them on this cake, and was satisfied with the results...as others say, they do sometimes spit and sputter and COVER the surrounding area icon_wink.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1270501.html

Mencked, just wanted to say that your borders on the August Birthday Cake are beautiful!
And CristinaB your Beach Cake is lovely! I can't believe you used the spray cans on this cake.
LL

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #20 of 21

Thank You all for the tips. I can't wait to try them out on my daughters Birthday cake this weekend!! icon_smile.gif

AmieW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmieW Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:16am
post #21 of 21

I did a whole cake green with the spray one time, did take forever to dry and never really completely did. at the party the kids had green hands and faces thumbsdown.gif i decided i would never do a whole cake like that again. but the sprays do work really good for making highlights or tips on flowers thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%