Anybody Suffering From The Economy Yet?

Lounge By cakesbydesiree Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 2:20pm by loriemoms

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #61 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by holoien003

Whatever happened to supporting fellow bakers? This is sad! You CANNOT compare what's going on now to the Great Depression! It's not even close to the same thing. Do you know WHY candy companies did well then!? That's all people could afford!!! I know the education system down there sucks but come on! And yes I can criticize all I want because I am both American and Canadian! (and yes, I am voting).

GROW UP! You are Ladies not Children!

I don't see that we are being completely unsupportive here. All we are doing is having a dialogue. I don't think debating about an issue is childish at all. I think, unbelievably, that this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. I merely responded to a post on something I thought was offensive and possibly offensive to others, in an attempt to maybe have people choose more carefully how they say things. I have never written a post with negative connotation before, but I was truly offended. I was not implying that this person is horrible, just maybe jumping to conclusions about homebakers and perhaps being a bit snobbish about it. If that was not her intention, I accept that and apologize for using the term snob. I also do not consider myself uneducated because I am American. That is an ignorant statement. I claim no knowledge of Depression Era economics because I was not alive then. I know only the perfuntory concepts. I didn't study history in detail. That being said, I do enjoy CC. I love looking at everyones work and thinking how one day I would like to be able to attempt such things. When I see something I love, I leave an extremely supportive comment. Please just let this part of the thread die. It is getting tired. I had no interest in starting a cake war. Just hoped someone would consider more carefully how they classify "cake decorators." That was the point, to get us all to be a little MORE supportive. I definitely mean no ill will. Lets just get passed this.

Thanks.

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:10am
post #62 of 137

Just an FYI...you aren't the only person who has responded to this thread.

kookyfaery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookyfaery Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #63 of 137

I'm in a suburb of Sacramento, and I'm sorry, but people didn't get the memo of Hard Times USA. Outside Starbucks yesterday there were 15 SUV's. Yes, 15 gas guzzling V8's getting $4 worth of Wake Up Juice. You go to a movie on a friday night to wait in long lines and have your party broken up because there aren't enough seats together.

Everyone is spouting these ideas of depression and economic collapse, but if you look at what people's actions and spending habbits are showing, I disagree. I think people are going to have to invest in one of those little countertop machines that make the coffee at home, and wait til movies come out on dvd, and of course....gasp....make a lunch and take it to work! (WHAT??? No more eating out for lunch...oh my!) I went to dinner last week in downtown sacramento. There was a line around the corner to put your name on the waiting list to wait another two hours for a table. Yes, you read that right!!! HARD TIMES USA....riiiiiight!!!

People at my work are always complaining about gas and how they can't afford to drive to work, while guzzling down the biggest soda and fries and burger from what ever fast food place they deemed worthy for lunch that day.

If you really want to worry about the economy, that's going to be when people start making their own coffee, making their own lunch, carpooling or taking the bus to work, not buying a new designer bag once a month. (You should see the amount of Coach we have around here! I myself have one thank you).

I moved out of my mom's house six months ago....no more mommy food, no more mommy doing the laundry. I have about fifteen bills now instead of three....and guess what, I save each month. If I can do it so can everyone else.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:56am
post #64 of 137

I did not take offense to the "Susie Homebaker" remark because at one time I was one.

But--FYI--I did take offense about the education system sucking "down there"! I graduated in a class of 600--not the top 2% but close enough.
If you think our education system sucks, it's because the education should START at home in the first place.

And I can say that because I have worked in the school system!

maggles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggles Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:19am
post #65 of 137
Quote:

I know the education system down there sucks but come on! And yes I can criticize all I want because I am both American and Canadian! (and yes, I am voting).

As a former teacher and a product of the evidently inferior education system, I take this comment a bit personally. Who am I kidding? I take it VERY personally; it's insulting. I'm not saying our education system is perfect. Far from it. I guess it's just a touchy subject for me. Besides, I'm not sure how criticizing our education system fits into a business / economic discussion. But maybe that's just me...I am very poorly educated, after all.

Making generalizations like that makes you seem haughty and condescending, whether you intend to or not. You may be Canadian and American, but refering to us as "down there" makes you seem very removed....as in, you obviously don't live here and perhaps never have, so maybe you don't have the right to criticize all you want. Maybe I'm wrong, though. If I am, correcting me would be wasted, as I won't ever see it. I'm a lurker, I rarely ever post, and I never (until now) get involved in these skirmishes. Tonight I just felt inspired. Or maybe it's PMS, who knows?

At any rate, end rant. Apologies for getting off topic, and undoubtedly inciting a minor cakeland riot. icon_wink.gif

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:51am
post #66 of 137

Melody...who's the famous/expensive baker in the area? icon_smile.gif I am so nosy! LOL! Does it start with a K or a R or an N?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:55am
post #67 of 137

Did anyone watch the Presidential debate last night? One of the candidates mentioned that although we have lost over 700,000 jobs since January, small businesses (such as the ones you all run) have increased and grown, and actually created over 300,000 new jobs here in the US.

Small business is the backbone of the American economy. There isn't a single domestic business (businesses created in the US, not brought in from abroad), which did not start out as a small business. Small business is probably the only reason why our economy hasn't collapsed completely.

So all those who are running legal businesses here on the forum, be proud of yourselves, for it is you, and others in your category, who are keeping the economy going. And I thank you for it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:01am
post #68 of 137

Well said Loriesmom. If Suzie is upset so be it. Let her spend the $$$$ to get legal. I could care less if the ones skirting the law are upset.

Mike

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:10pm
post #69 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

But if a good friend of mine was getting married and wanted me to do a cake and pay me for it, I don't see how that is wrong.

Unless you're licensed and legal, it's wrong because it's illegal.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:21pm
post #70 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggles

Quote:

I know the education system down there sucks but come on! And yes I can criticize all I want because I am both American and Canadian! (and yes, I am voting).

As a former teacher and a product of the evidently inferior education system, I take this comment a bit personally. Who am I kidding? I take it VERY personally; it's insulting. I'm not saying our education system is perfect. Far from it. I guess it's just a touchy subject for me. Besides, I'm not sure how criticizing our education system fits into a business / economic discussion. But maybe that's just me...I am very poorly educated, after all.

Making generalizations like that makes you seem haughty and condescending, whether you intend to or not. You may be Canadian and American, but refering to us as "down there" makes you seem very removed....as in, you obviously don't live here and perhaps never have, so maybe you don't have the right to criticize all you want. Maybe I'm wrong, though. If I am, correcting me would be wasted, as I won't ever see it. I'm a lurker, I rarely ever post, and I never (until now) get involved in these skirmishes. Tonight I just felt inspired. Or maybe it's PMS, who knows?

At any rate, end rant. Apologies for getting off topic, and undoubtedly inciting a minor cakeland riot. icon_wink.gif

Thank you maggies..............I was getting ready to respond to this but saw your post and felt like you conveyed my feelings to a T.

I would just add to this that like indydebi, mike, lorriemoms, and others have said...........if you're not licensed, you're not legal therefore you should not be exchanging monies for cakes that you make......PERIOD!

There is no gray area here............either your legal or you're not.

This is starting to sound a lot like the undocumented people that are in RI complaining that the Governor wants "illegals" that have committed crimes and are sitting in their prisons deported. The "illegals" that are not in prison are complaining that their rights are being violated. WHAT?? You have no rights here in the USA, if you are not here LEGALLY! Stop skirting our laws and come here legally like our ancestors did.

Sorry....off topic, but I'm hearing the same responses here about being licensed. "What's the big deal if I make a cake for a friend and she wants to pay me for it?" THAT'S ILLEGAL, YES IT IS!

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:31pm
post #71 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Did anyone watch the Presidential debate last night? One of the candidates mentioned that although we have lost over 700,000 jobs since January, small businesses (such as the ones you all run) have increased and grown, and actually created over 300,000 new jobs here in the US.

Small business is the backbone of the American economy. There isn't a single domestic business (businesses created in the US, not brought in from abroad), which did not start out as a small business. Small business is probably the only reason why our economy hasn't collapsed completely.

So all those who are running legal businesses here on the forum, be proud of yourselves, for it is you, and others in your category, who are keeping the economy going. And I thank you for it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Hear, hear, hear! thumbs_up.gif During the daytime I work with a small business (construction), and we have been able to keep all our regular workers. Thank God! Even though other construction companies are feeling the drastic slow down, we have been able to employ a few newbies. The baking business I'm starting, my husband and I say is our retirement (sorry wall street, you are not getting our bucks) because we don't plan on retiring...we just love to work!

The company I am working for has been around since the 1970! Why? Small business is what it's all about, keeping it small enought to spread the wealth around.

Oh, BTW, I am a proud "Suzie Home Baker" crossing the road to the "legal side". I don't like breaking the rules (except the 70 MPH rule on the Turnpike). I have found that there is more freedom in doing it right! Freedom in your mind, not just what you can do. Get free "Suzie Home Bakers"!!! One more thing, offence must come, just remember: "A kind answer turn away wrath, but grievous words stirrs up anger". Don't subscribe to the 1970's "Love is not having to say I'm sorry" (it's poppy dust)...but "Love is always ready to say I'm sorry" icon_smile.gif

Now, I'll get off my soapbox... icon_rolleyes.gif

Cheers!
Jeannie

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:51pm
post #72 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

But if a good friend of mine was getting married and wanted me to do a cake and pay me for it, I don't see how that is wrong.

Unless you're licensed and legal, it's wrong because it's illegal.

My point exactly. One of my biggest fears is that a lot of these illegal bakeries don't know the laws in our state, and will get an entire wedding party sick off of a mousse gone bad, or putting fresh strawberries in a cake. These kinds of things always spur investigation and all the LEGAL bakeries in our area get super duper looked over and have to pay higher licensing fees "to protect the public". It has happened before. And do these illegal bakeries have to do it? Nope. They just happily fly under the raider, making cakes for their "friends"...(I guess everyone on goes on Craig's list is their "friend") My only hope is that one day they get caught and they have to pay the THOUSANDS of dollars in fines.

I just hope that brides educate themselves and if they do approach a home bakery, they look for the licensing document that should be hanging on the wall (It is required in my town..pay 125 dollars a YEAR for that little piece of paper) and ask questions.

I have been on Cake Central for a long time. I started here when I first started my bakery, and learned A LOT..about decorating, about business, about just dealing with the stress of trying to get everything done. It used to be a place where people could post how they felt and they weren't called names, or were accused of being mean or nasty. They were allowed to post how they felt. The last year or so, CC has drawn a few members, and it always seems to be the same member, who enjoy name calling, wearing their emoctions on their sleeves and just being nasty for nasty sake. It is very sad. In my post, I never named anyone in particular, I was just stating my opinion, yet the post that followed by several people were mean and nasty to me, one even making fun of my username. (which has a long adoring history behind it) I am sorry to highjack this thread like this, but I just had to say it.

I also feel that this forem is for PROFESSIONALS. Just like the Adult Cake section, if you aren't here to talk about owning a business, and thinking of owning a business and the trials, please don't post here. Let those of us who are trying to etch a living and deal with the "joys" of buisness ownership post in piece.

I was a stay at home mom for 12 years before I went back into the work force, and never, not one time, did I bake cakes illegally. To me baking a cake illegally is not only a disservice to those of us who are doing it legally, but it is just WRONG. Would you grow pot in your back yard? Rob a Bank? Steal from your neighbor? Then why do you think baking a cake without an inspection, without a license and without the education of what is involved is OK???? It is not any different.

If you guys want to have fights and be mean and nasty to each other, then please, take it somewhere else. I am honestly very tired of it.

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:56pm
post #73 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

..pay 125 dollars a YEAR for that little piece of paper)

What a deal .... Mine cost me over $600! icon_surprised.gif

loriemoms Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm
post #74 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

..pay 125 dollars a YEAR for that little piece of paper)

What a deal .... Mine cost me over $600! icon_surprised.gif

I am sure it will go up again this year...every year, it goes up more and more...Its crazy!!! They also just completly changed our food and beverage taxes that you have to be an accountant to figure out. (its not a straight tax). So not only do I have to redo all my configurations, but I have my accountant help me figure out what is what...at 200 bucks an hour, that adds up!!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:17pm
post #75 of 137
Quote:

Whatever happened to supporting fellow bakers? This is sad! You CANNOT compare what's going on now to the Great Depression! It's not even close to the same thing. Do you know WHY candy companies did well then!? That's all people could afford!!! I know the education system down there sucks but come on! And yes I can criticize all I want because I am both American and Canadian! (and yes, I am voting).

Actually as an economist I would have to disagree that you can't compare this to the great depression and the fact is that it is going to get so much worse unless the real problems get fixed, like the fiat curreny. What a previous poster said is true, the American and Canadian economies are built on small businesses which is one reason I refuse to shop at wally world.

I see it a little differently than most though, I dont think that its the role of government to bail out businesses, they need to make a favourable economic environment that promotes domestic business, but so much of it is consumer driven, most people want lower prices regardless of what that means. Hopefully one day transportation costs will rise so much that shipping raw goods to foreign countries like China for processing and back again makes it worth paying domestic employees the wage they need to keep up with inflation (which is basically another TAX).

Anyway, I digress. We all support fellow bakers, but when it comes to dealing with the law, the law is the law, it is there for a reason. If people want to bake from their homes there are farmer's markets. And the comment on the American education system - look at home in Canada to critize too, like the deplorable education conditions in so many First Nation communities.

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:31pm
post #76 of 137

Not wanting to hijack the thread but since education was brought up ....

Just yesterday, my two girls (come in after school to make cookie dough balls) got into a discussion on different presidents. They didnt' know Nixon was the first president to go to China and what that meant. They didn't know about the 18% inflation and how people felt LUCKY to get a 14% interest rate to buy a home during Carter. They didn't know about the Iran hostages, how long they were there. When I told them about Reagan's "Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall!" statement, their revelation came from "Oh, that's that scene from Family Guy!" (How sad they get their history lesson from a cartoon ... and sadder that they can't even understand cartoons because they aren't being taught history.) They didn't know what the wall was, why it was there and why it was a big deal when it came down. They had no idea about disarmament (sp?) and thougth Star Wars was just a movie.

Watching the debates last night, I spent a lot of time explaining things to my 16 year old. While some teachers assign their students to watch this debate, I wonder what kind of value it really has because I had to explain to my daughter what "KGB" was (oh! that's what that one song means when it says it has more files than the KGB!), what the Cold War was. If kids are not being taught what this is, then what value is it to watch politicians talk about it when they've no idea what the candidates are referring to or talking about.

I asked my daughter and the other girl who works for me, "Don't they teach you ANY of this stuff in school?" I'm told they aren't being taught what happened in the past ... they are being taught geography. History is ONE class that you're required to take before you graduate.

Our children do not know their history ..... god save us when it appears we are doomed to repeat it.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:59pm
post #77 of 137

that is really terrible indydebi. This really brings up the question of why don't young people know history? I am a young person too (22) although I knew everything you mentioned except the Nixon thing but I chalk that up to being Canadian.

I find that everyone places blame on the education system (here and in the US). However, being taught and LEARNING are different things. My dad taught high school and he switched schools late in his career to be closer to home (12 mile drive vs. 52 one way). In his grade 12 biology class he asked the students to read a chapter of the textbook and make some notes to discuss in class. The uproar of the parents was deafening! To think that their babies would need to do some work and be prepared to be taught - grade 12 students! It totally blew him away.

There are only so many hours in a school day and the teachers now spend more time discipling students than teaching, that unruliness is a product of media and home environment. Learning starts at young age, and parents need to instill the desire to learn and explore in kids. Oprah was critized very loudly for deciding to build that girls school in Africa, but her reasoning was very clear, those girls VALUED an education and wanted to learn unlike so many students here and in the US.

Books are for learning - buy your daughter a history book. I do think that is great you are taking the time to discuss these subjects with your girls. Society is no longer a critcial thinker - one of my favorite quotes

How fortunate for leaders that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:06pm
post #78 of 137

When I saw in growing up, you meal ticket and pass to have a roof over your head in my house was to have a library card! We had to read, read, read! On weekends, Archie & Friends comic books were big treats! My mom was big on history so I knew more about American and European history (we lived in Jamaica) at my age in the 1970 than what my nephew know now (he is 16) in 2008! Of course we watch movies, and listen to all types of music (rock, pop, jazz, classical)...but we had a world view. My mom lived in the USA (on a work permit) in the late 1960 early 1970; did not go to high school. When she came back here to live 1980s, she took her GED without doing a class and passed. All because she was well read!

I love cake decorating and I'm looking forward to get my business legal and enjoy the benefits the USA affords me - a true freemarket (I hope a little while longer) to compete fairly with the supermarket down the road, and Suzie home baker across the road. thumbs_up.gif

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #79 of 137
Quote:

Hey, Iâm a graduate of the public US education system. I have a BS in Earth Science, a BA in Business, a MS in Geophysics, and a minor in Computer Science. Who would have thought that my education sucked? I guess Iâm too dumb to even realize that Iâm dumb.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:12pm
post #80 of 137

Ok, seems like the thread got a little off topic....

But as for the OPs original question goes, Yes, the economy may be tight and it may last for a REALLY long time, but don't let that detour your dreams. There are ways to do anything and everything at anytime.

In times when the economy is slow, diversify your services and don't just offer a cake, but offer party solutions!

I believe that the baker who understands the frugal budget and overall needs of his or her clients will sustain overtime.

Next, let the success of others fuel your need for entreprenuership and pay little to no attention to negativity.

Finally, when you get the ball rolling on your venture in this tough economy, send us a positive note so that we can all be encouraged!

Blessed wishes!

tcp

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:25pm
post #81 of 137

[quote="loriemomsUnless you're licensed and legal, it's wrong because it's illegal.[/quote]

Nope. They just happily fly under the raider, making cakes for their "friends"...(I guess everyone on goes on Craig's list is their "friend") My only hope is that one day they get caught and they have to pay the THOUSANDS of dollars in fines.

If you guys want to have fights and be mean and nasty to each other, then please, take it somewhere else. I am honestly very tired of it.[/quote]

If your sick and tired of everyone being nasty, why would you wish ill will on someone else? icon_sad.gif

iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #82 of 137

Since we are KINDA talking about saddness/economy, I just have to get something off my chest...and YES I WILL GET FLAMED FOR THIS! I understand that single mom's-even married one's have the right to buy whatever clothes/shoes/handbags they want, but...I was running in the grocery store yesturday at 1:30 after I picked my sin up from Mother's Day out to buy him some watermelon and a Lunchable for Thursdays class' I am waiting in line behind a young girl wearing a sparkling new & clean PUMA track suit, probably $100.00 and some brand spanking new Nike Shox (at least $100.00) and OF course a Coach handbag-(Couple Hundred dollars...do you know what the holdup was for me? She is cashing in her WIC checks for milk, juice and formula. NOW, I am not being ugly, but you are on gov't assistance when you are low on funds...I pay for that service! My tax $ goes so that someone can buy new clothes and look "HOT" instead of their responsibilities first. Let the flaming start! I don't even care-I save every penny I have on cakes, etc. to put into my sons college account which has taken a major hit with the stock market, I choose not to spend my money on clothes and shoes and put the needs of my child first so that we don't go on gov't assistance, and it just makes me upset that THIS is why the economy suffers is when people ABUSE our gov't. I don't think that every mother on WIC/Food Stamps is that way but it was such a blatant abuse that I was floored. I don't know the girls circumstances...and this is getting you all way off topic it just made me sick. My husband that went to school and is still paying off his college loans own a Financial business with his dad-things are so bad for them now with the economy and if you know anything about the stock market you have to ride everything out...but for us honest law abiding folks that means no paycheck for him for a while (we do have savings thank god! And I do ok with cakes!) but it feels like we are always the one's hit the "Middle Class" we pay for the sins of the super rich and the poor. I want better for my sons future!

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:33pm
post #83 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbydesiree

I am starting to look more seriously into making my fun cake decorating hobby into a business. I just completed my third successful wedding cake with many pleased people especially at this last wedding.

I am only concerned with the economy. Should I be concerned with stepping out into this venture? I know people will get married regardless of the economy. However, the economy may dictate there wedding budget. How many people could actually pay for the 5 tier wedding cake I just did?

Thanks for any input.

Desiree

If a bakery is what you want go for it! Bad economic times might be the best time to start a business. People who really succeed in business think outside the box.

But donât commit your life savings to the venture and donât load yourself down with crippling debt.

The NFIB estimates that over the lifetime of a business, 39% are profitable, 30% break even, and 30% lose money.

Watson and Everett published that annual business failure rates were greater than 9% a year (when failure was defined as discontinuance of ownership). The authors concluded that cumulatively 64.2% of businesses fail in a 10 year period.

So go for it, but go cautiously.

iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:39pm
post #84 of 137

Not to mention have a back up funding source (part time job, teaching cake classes, etc.) as alot of businesses take a few years to even yield a profit!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:04pm
post #85 of 137

To the original poster: If you want to start your business go ahead but start small. Keep things tight if you feel the economy is not as strong as before. Just don't over extend yourself $ wise and you will be ok no matter what. Small businesses are what makes America great. Compaq and Microsoft and Dell started SMALL! Compaq in a garage and Dell in a dorm room!

It is going to get a little tight. I am fortunate - I live in an area that is booming and since we were just smacked with a hurricane and many of the refineries were smacked right along with the rest of us - they are going to have to strip out and rebuilt parts of the refineries along with the expansion they were already doing. So in my area things are a little more cautious but not depressed or repressed. It is beat up and ugly looking but like I told my boss (I work part time for the largest paint company in the world) we are going to be slammed for paint and that means money.

My cake business is doing just fine and I am grateful. Gasoline is high and so are groceries. I have tightened my belt along with everyone else. I actually gave up my beloved lattes. Latte's are the reason I started decorating for $ in the first place - to pay for my indulgence in lattes. (I would no more by a Coach purse than I would fly to the moon)

My hubby and I are both conservative with our money - 20 years ago when we bought our house we were told we could afford a $160K house and we could have done that. We bought one for $57k and did the old sweat equity - our home is worth 4 times what we paid for it and it has been paid for in full for 8 years.

As far as the comment about our education "down there" America has one of the finest education systems in the world. We have world class universities that people come to from all corners of the earth to learn and live the American Dream. My kids have gone to private and public schools and my 20 year old son could give anyone a run for their money on history. He can speak about WWII and ancient history/mythology with a depth that almost astounds me - almost! My oldest son is pretty darn smart too, and my youngest child, my only daughter, wants to own her own business one day and she has the drive and determination to make that happen. I have always fostered education in my children and purchased books for them to read and discussed events with them. Right now they are sick of listening to all the FOX news but they are at least informed!

Ok...back to the regularly scheduled program icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #86 of 137

iamlis

I can understand why that angers you....hey maybe she bought the stuff at the Good Will? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif (I guess I will now blasted for suggesting that people who are on warefare only show at the good will...which, btw, is one of my favorite places to shop!)

Back to the economy, this weekend they are doing the annual parade of homes in our area and we LOVE going to the really neat houses, that only run about a million, to see how the other half lives. Can you beleive a lot of these houses are sold? I wonder who is buying them and how can I get to become their best friends?

iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:10pm
post #87 of 137

VERY well said Denise!

loriemoms Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #88 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

Ahh, go take a pill or something.....sheesh.

iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:21pm
post #89 of 137

Loriemoms I do have to say every time I see you post i CRACK up about "Gotta have more cowbell"! Ohhh SNL! LOL!

But I did speak out of anger earlier in my post, I am not a mean person and I help and donate time and money to various charities, far be it for me to begrudge a single mom (just saying single mom cause there was no rock on her finger icon_smile.gif) a luxury like looking nice, especially if that is all she has but our economy is weak because so many of our populations priorities are really whacked out! THat is what bothers me icon_smile.gif I don't EVER want my son to covet a pair of shoes more than a private schooled education. I love doing cakes, and because I was a nanny for so long I started out with an "IN" for the rich mom. "HEY I WANT THAT!" cake crowd. SO I kind of was able to go into business with an instant following. I think the #1 thing you have to do is EDUCATE YOURSELF (Cake classes, cake shows, ICES DOS) Anything that you can learn newer techniques and keep your prices competitive with the market! In the midwest you can still charge $200.00 for a kids birthday cake and they won't bat an eye, if you choose your client base. If your client base is SAHM, or your church friends they might not have the funds for $200.00 cakes so you may not be able to cater to them if you want your business to thrive. I guess you do have to be a cake snob icon_smile.gif Not in a bad way, but I would never haggle with a customer over a price, this is what I charge take it or leave it. No skin off my nose. Business has been TOO much since January, so I think if you have a good client base they will always return. I am sad to say that if you have to lower your price to compete with Walmart, then you just can't ever make a profit. It just isn't possible.

leaisagary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leaisagary Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #90 of 137

Iamlis, I would just like you to know that WIC is not necessarily only for the very low income, like say food stamps so go ahead and look up the income guidlines for WIC and maybe then you wont feel so angry. As for the ecomomy, my opinion is basically an unsure one, I do see people spending lots of money still on going out to eat and shopping and I also see small businesses like my parents on the brink of going under. So maybe it just has not hit its peak yet so what I am just trying to save a little more just in case. I am really angry about one thing though and that is last weeks bail out and this weeks AIG scandal and the ceos getting millions, it is so terrible and that is why I am not voting for either canidate because they both voted for it, I am not a highly eduated politician but I did see that coming!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%