3D Car Cake

Decorating By SWHEATLEYCAKES Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm by knel

SWHEATLEYCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWHEATLEYCAKES Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #1 of 7

I AM TRYING TO MAKE A 3D CAR CAKE FOR A GROOMS CAKE? Does anyone have any suggestions on the cake form of it? I thought about two sheet cakes stacked with a small loaf pan on top for the cab! Do you think it will work? any advice is welcomed!

6 replies
lovekzade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovekzade Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:21am
post #2 of 7

My blog adress was wrong, sorry, I'm new at this! It should by .blogspot not @blogspot.
OOPS

Hi - I am an amateur, but I have done three car cakes: a tractor, punch-buggy, and hot rod. It is best to layer two cakes, then shape them to look like the car you want. For the intense detail, shape fondant and put in place under the layer of covering fondant. The hardest part, actually, is the cake board itself. It has to be cut so the wheels can be inserted to look like they are with the car, not attached to the outside. So, cut grooves for the wheel placement. You can check out a pic of my hot rod cake at my blog. [email protected] .
Hope this ameteur advice helps! Good luck!

lovekzade

SWHEATLEYCAKES Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:03am
post #3 of 7

THANKS I had already thought of the wheels on the board! I am an a newby too.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #4 of 7

I've done one car cake, well, it was a Ford F150. Just an idea... to give the car the visual effect of "riding on the wheels", I laid my actual cake board on top of a piece of styrofoam that was hot glued down to the actual cake base. The styrofoam was about 2 inches thinner all the way around than the cake board. The cake board was made to look like it was part of the bumper of the truck. Check out my pics if you want to see it... Good luck!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 7

Any pointers on a convertible?

SWHEATLEYCAKES Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 7

WHERE can i view your photos?

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 7

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1239908.html

This was a first for me, so there are some flaws, but overall, I was pleased with it.

For a convertible, I would do the same sheet cake set up, and carve out the inside of my cake, or just piece your cake together in sections (that's what I had to do to my truck to get the bride and groom in the cab). The windshield can be made of fondant. Did this even make sense? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%