Square Wedding Cake.....

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 8:10pm by tiggy2

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:44am
post #1 of 13

I've just been asked to make my first wedding cake in February! I'm super excited, but also kind of nervous & don't know where to begin. The bride wants a square wedding cake, and I was wondering what my options would be as far as a cake stand. Most of the ones I see are either round or really expensive. Any ideas??

12 replies
hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #2 of 13

Glad you asked this question. Seems like I do mostly sheet or square cakes. I would like to display them better than just on a cake board. Does anyone know of stands for these? Good luck on your wedding cake. I have not done one yet but have been asked for a groom's cake in Feb. in the shape of a computer.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:04am
post #3 of 13

I typically let the bride rent them from a rental company that she is probably already working with.
I make sure they know that I will only provide my cake board (covered in a suitable foil) and that if they would like a stand that they need to rent one.

However, if you really want to get one yourself, I would say to try the party rental companies in your area. The nice ones are very expensive. They are reasonable to rent.

Otherwise, have you tried googling it? How big will the stand need to be?

rreed6263 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rreed6263 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 13

If you are looking to buy one, I googled it and came up with
the following web site. There are a lot of things on Clerance.


jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:56am
post #5 of 13

I don't have many brides using the plateaus and such, so I just use covered wood for mine. My local lumberyard will cut a 20X20 square of 1/2" plywood for about $3. I then cover it in freezer paper and place the cake on that. They're so inexpensive that it is ok if I don't get it back.

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 13

jammjenks, what do you mean by freezer paper??

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 13

Some may call it butcher paper. It is in the same section as the wax paper, cling wrap, and foil at the grocery store. It is white and slick on one side. I put the slick side up.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 13

I just purchased a square silver 18" plateau from efavormart.com It will accomodate quite a few sizes. I will rent it to my brides for $25 with a $120.00 refundable deposit.

I usually leave the "stand" up to the bride and give them several suggestions as to what to use. They can place something elevated under their table cloth or glass blocks look nice too. If you look through bridal books or online you can get a ton of ideas to pass onto your bride.

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 13

I buy mirrors from micheals.....I know they have rounds in all kinds of sizes and then I hot glue wooden legs on them...cost about 6-8 total.

I am not really sure about the squares though....but, it's be worth a shot...just ass $10.00 deposit so you can replace them if not returned.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 13

I agree with the previous posters that:

1. Yes the rental supply companies usually have the plateaus for rent that the bride can handle on her own with the rest of her supplies.

2. I have ordered all 3 of my plateaus from ebay and am pleased with all of them. Just compare the prices and shipping and since you have time from now to February you may get a really great deal on one.

Another idea I saw on here that has minimal expense was someone put a 4 tier square wedding cake on 4 square/rectangle glass vases - one on each corner. Then they filled the vases with water, put in some clear glass rocks and submerged a tulip in each one. The cake was decorated using the same pinks as the tulips and it was a very pretty setting.

I went ahead and purchased the same type vases at WalMart for less than $2.00 each just to have on hand in case I needed them sometime.


lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 13

If I were to do the glass vase idea (sounds great), I'd have to put the cake on a board, and then on the glass vases... but what kind of board would I need to use?

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 13

They are called cake drums. You can order them from Global Sugar Arts, Into The Oven and Country Kitchens. If you bottom tier is 14" square then you would want to put it on at least a 16" square cake drum.

The cake drums come covered in either white, silver or gold. They are made of a reinforced cardboard.

I would also suggest to put a protective layer of another piece of regular cardborad covered in saran wrap under the bottom tier to keep as much oil/grease from seeping through the cake drum - just in case in would 'sag' by the end of the reception.

The cake I was talking about was made by CC member 'Tallmama'. You can search through pics and find it to give yourself a visual.

Good luck and post pics!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:10pm
post #13 of 13

Earlene also sells instructions for making a puff base that is very pretty. It's on her web site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%