If Someone Has A Moment Please Look

Decorating By Lenette Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 9

I can't link it directly but if you would please go to justcake.com, click on portfolio then go to wedding cakes.

The cake I am looking at is the second one.

I love that cake! It is simple but stunning!

Do you have any idea how she did the plates? What they may be made of or how they look like they are floating?

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

icon_smile.gif

8 replies
PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 9

You are right - it is stunning! I don't know what the plates are but they appear to be spaced with what appears to be pearls.

Sorry that I can't be of help - just giving you a bump.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 9

I just looked and it is a beautiful cake!!! I have no idea though about how she did the plates. But I do think that they are made in one piece like that. From the looks of it anyway. Sorry that I couldn't help you out with it. I am wondering myself now.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 9

I'd replicate that by just gluing pearls to cake plates. Now the cake plates would be the thing. I guess you can purchase some that are flat on each side--y'know no places to insert pillars.

Hmm.

The plates.

I mean I've cut those nubbly things off of plates too.

Actually I think I'd use one of those floating tier stands with the single clear plastic tube up the middle and then make some real sturdy fondant circles for the 'plates' with a hole in the middle so they would fit down around the tube like records on a record player and then have the pearls all stuck in between to provide the separations. So the plates do not bear weight but the acrylic tube.

I'm sure she did it different but that's a viable way to create that illusion. I don't think you could detect the culprit acrylic tube in the middle.

Glory I love her stuff to pieces!!!!!!! Wow!

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 9

Just email her and ask icon_smile.gif If she wants to tell you, she will, if she doesn't, she won't.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 9

PS. About the fondant--I add cornstarch to my fondant and then dry it in a warming drawer so it comes out dry and hard as a rock. So some folks might wanna use gum paste or pastillage or some combination. But that's what I would use.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 9

Just want to thank you all for your replies! You gave some very good ideas and I am trying to figure out if I have enough time to pull this off. If not I will definitely do it later!

thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 9

Maybe foam core rounds? use a smaller one in the center for spacing, then add some pearls to the gaps.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 9

oh my that's definitely interesting! thanks for the link, yet another amazing cake site to ass to my growing list.

i have to agree with KoryAK, you can use foam core for that illusion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%