First Bct Cracked. What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Lori11941 Updated 18 Aug 2005 , 2:43pm by Lori11941

Lori11941 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori11941 Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 4

Friday was my daughter's birthday. I made a chocolate cake with buttercream icing Blue's Clues for her school party so I decided to go totally different for her cake at home. It was butter cake with chocolate pan icing and I tried my first BCT for the top. I was surprised and pleased at how easy it was to do and I stuck it in the freezer for between 2 to 3 hours as I made and frosted the cake. But when I went to peel it off the waxed paper, it cracked in two places along Dory's body and one of her fins broke off and I had to stick it back on. How can I prevent this in the future? The next BCT I'm planning to do is next month for my daughter's teacher's birthday. She's a horse fanatic, so I was planning to surprise her with a horse cake. I'd like to get this worked out before I try it again. Thanks for your help.
LL

3 replies
tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 4

Hi. I am not sure, but was you BCT thick enough? They don't really have to be or anything, it was just a thought. When it is time to place on the cake, I usually just turn it onto the cake and then peel off the wax paper. Is that what you did? If not, that might also have been a factor. Hope this helps!
Tanya

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 4

I'd have to say your transfer was too thin... What type of buttercream did you use?? All butter or half butter/half Crisco?? When I do bct I use an all crisco buttercream..I find that it holds up better when it comes out of the freezer. After I complete the bct I spread some white icing on the back of it to make it stronger..They are a bit thicker, but I don't have to worry about it breaking.

Your Dory came out soooo cute...Great job!! thumbs_up.gif

Lori11941 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori11941 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies. For some reason it never showed up in my email that I had any, so I didn't get back to thank you sooner. Sorry. icon_sad.gif

I used a half crisco/half butter frosting that was actually left over from the Blue's Clues cake. Since Blue was blue and Dory is blue, I was able to just adjust the color slightly and make use of the same frosting without having to make more. I'll have to try all Crisco next time.

Thanks for your help.

Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%