Pretty Freakin Bad Day For A College Student :(

Decorating By lbain Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 6:13am by margaretb

lbain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbain Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:18am
post #1 of 29

I am in college and might be having the worst day ever....

I am stressed out about my first round of tests and have been studying so much that i've only got 4 hours of sleep(napping) in the past 3 days...

I also was on my way to a tuturoing session today and I got into a car accident...everyone was okay except my car... icon_sad.gif

I got a ticket to for an unsafe lane change($300 with defensive driving) and i have to pay for all the damage and my parents are making me pay for my insurance now....

So i only am going to have $150 to live off every month from now on!

And not to mention my parents ARE TICKED OFF!! and somehow my mom can say those things to me when im upset that just bring me down even lower icon_sad.gif

AND>>>!!! I accidentally paid for 2 wrong parking spots and wasted my last 4 dollars i have for the rest of the month...

So basically im STRESSED!, BROKE, UPSET, DEPRESSED, and all i want to do is FREAKIN BAKE A CAKE@!!!
and i dont have any money to do it......icon_sad.gif

28 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:25am
post #2 of 29

Yup that sounds like the day from hell and Mom didn't help. Get some sleep and breathe deeply.
Hugs

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:46am
post #3 of 29

I am so sorry you had a bad day, I hope tomorrow is better.

Good luck in your exams!!!

Hugs!

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:48am
post #4 of 29

*hugs* sorry you had a bad day, i hate days like those! Dont let your mom get you down, you have your CC buddies to lean on when things suck. When Im broke and want to bake I break out a pencil and paper and start sketching up different ideas i have for all the cakes I want to do. It's not the same but it helps a bit. Try to get some rest and remember tomorrow is a new day.

lbain Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:09am
post #5 of 29

I heart you guys! yall make me feel better icon_smile.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:45am
post #6 of 29

I've been where you are many a times and all I can say is breath and try to relax. Go through the kitchen and find something. I'm sure you can find some everyday items to bake something. I remember sitting down one day and out of pure frustration writing a paper about my life and thinking eventually I will write a book.....but that's another story.

I sat on my couch ( of course by then I was married) and cried because the situation could have been much worse. At least you are alive and although you are broke and stressed out you can live to tell about it. Moms can be tough, mine always brings me even lower when i'm down so I can understand exactly how you feel, but they are always worried and maybe the thought of you not being in a safe environment made her react that way. Don't stress too much about finals, think positive and you will attract positive. I learned that the hard way. Take care and I hope everything starts looking a little better tommorrow.

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:29am
post #7 of 29

It's okay. It's just one of those crappy day. Everything will be alright in the end. Go take a hot bubble bath and chill for a bit. Don't worry too much about those tests, you will probably find that they are easier than you thought.

Here's a little cake you can make without having to make a lot or spend a lot. It's not too bad, worth a try when you are desperate. icon_wink.gif

1 coffee mug
4 tablespoons plain flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
Small splash vanilla
3 tablespoons choc chips / optional

Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well with a fork
Add egg and mix thoroughly
Pour in milk, oil and vanilla and mix well
Add choc chips if using
Put mug in microwave and cook for 3 minutes on 1000 watts
Cake will rise over top of mug - do not be alarmed
Allow to cool a little; tip onto plate if desired
Eat

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 29

OOooo that definately sounds like something i might have to try!

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 29

Junny what a great recipe I'm also going to give at try, when the kids take their nap icon_lol.gif What's even better is I have left over BC form hubby's cake last week!
Lbain, I'm sorry you're having such a rotten day, I would think your mom would be more supportive, but maybe she was having a bad day too, I hope your day gets better and I hope you do well on your exams, good luck, we're rootin' for ya! thumbs_up.gif

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 29

This is just one of those days where you have to know that as bad as the day is going, things will get better. These kind of days really suck, but I believe we all have 'em and after it's all over and done with, you'll be able to look back and see that even thought it was bad, it was no where near as bad as it coud've been. And you're right, caking helps relieve the tension and frustrations! Best of luck on those exams and keep pressing foward

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 29

great treat junny....

lbain, chin up... college won't last that long.. and hopefully when you are done you will land a great job. Have you considered being a baking gal for study sessions? You know like cupcakes or something.. they are cheap to make and you can charge for them icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 29

I got that cake in a mug recipe in an email and it is NOT good. It needs to be doctored up, so I'm trying to work on it. It's super cool to watch it 'bake' though!! It goes way above the rim of the cup, and just when you're sure it's going to sploosh everywhere, it settles down into the mug just right!! My 3 year old thought it was hilarious!!

Hope you get to feeling better! We're here for ya! There is always someone here who is having a worse day, so try to be happy you're not them! icon_rolleyes.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 29

yep - thats a crappy day!

Why is it that moms can always seem to make a bad day worse!

Take a deep breath, Take a nap and try to relax! You will not do good on your finals no matter how much you studied if you are exhausted!

Good luck and I hope things get better for you!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 29

If it makes you feel any better there will be worse days icon_cry.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:29pm
post #15 of 29

Hope today is a better day than yesterday. We all have those kinds of days, I'm sorry your mom didn't help out much with cheering you up. I got my DL when I was 18 and bought a brand new car 2 weeks later and got in an accident that was a $1000 dollars a way from being totaled icon_cry.gif a month after that. They took me to the hospital and I had a concussion, they found out I was diabetic and I was pregnant. Talk about an eventful day. And 12 years later, I'm perfectly fine, well that depends on who you ask icon_lol.gif You will look back at this day and it will seem like nothing. (((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 29

Okay. Deep breath. For me, when a lot hits the fan it is a message to pull back and slow down. Bad days happen to all and you had a doozy. I'm a mom and I would counsel you to prioritize your studies and definitely get more than 4 hours of sleep a night. Take time to review some in your classes every day and do assignments as soon as possible after each class- like doing a math assignment right after class when it is fresh in your mind. Take notes on everything an instructor says and sit in the front row to be more attentive. That said, take some time each day to do something that relaxes you- like so many minutes on CC or taking a run or cooking, which we all like. When your preparation for your tests start early instead of at the last minute you have less need to fear. Also- wish I had done this in college- be proactive about getting help for things you don't understand- remember, YOU are paying for this education so get that help you deserve. Don't fall behind- get that help. So, I'm sorry if I sound just like another mom but I really like to see young people succeed and it just means I care. Good luck. CCM (caring cake mom)

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #17 of 29

I'll be praying that everything works out or you. Try to stay optimistic I know it's hard. We're here for you.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #18 of 29

Awwww, sweetie, take it from a MOM, Grandma, and now a GREAT grandma...... We yell the loudest when we are scared and we are not there to see for ourselves that your ARE okay........ rather like, " IF you live through this, I'm going to KILL YOU ! icon_lol.gif Things seem MUCH worse when you are dog tired.... that is probably why you had the accident in the first place..... Take care, and try to get some rest.... good luck on your tests.... let us know how you make out on them....... ((( HUGS ))))
Grama-j

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #19 of 29

Well, my babies are way too young for college, so I can't answer for Mom.....but I can tell you that I have so been in your shoes, money-wise. So many times, right out of college, I didn't know how I was going to keep the heat and electicity turned on and was eating rice with salt for dinner! Fear and frustration and sometimes, just desperation!
Best advice I can give is just keep your chin up and try to keep smiling. Keep plugging along. Things have an amazing way of working out.
Hugs, Heather

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #20 of 29

I feel guilty that all i can offer is some understanding, a virtual hug and compassion and to let you know your not alone. you have us here.. even those of us you don't know icon_smile.gif

i remember a day years back when my kids were still small and i was walking them to school in the snow and mush; i had only tennis shoes with holes in them; bills coming left and right; ten days till payday; four days worth of food in the cupboard and the witch of a crossing guard was always on my case about getting snowboots for myself..

i was afraid to tell her Why i couldn't afford to buy even a ten dollar pair- in fear she'd turn me in to Cps and the kids would get taken away; i cried the whole way home.. and regrettably held a grudge against her ever since.. she wasn't being a caring friend by reminding me to get snow boots she was just being plain snotty (you'd have to know her)

Sorry wasn't trying to turn this around on me..

i just know that.. well i still dont' know that some how.. we made it through those ten days w/o running out of food w/o any more problems etc.. some one was watching over us during that time for sure and even though it was one of the saddest times i had been through back then; that feeling we'd made it through such a tough time- helps me get through hard times today..

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

Awwww, sweetie, take it from a MOM, Grandma, and now a GREAT grandma...... We yell the loudest when we are scared and we are not there to see for ourselves that your ARE okay........ rather like, " IF you live through this, I'm going to KILL YOU ! icon_lol.gif Things seem MUCH worse when you are dog tired.... that is probably why you had the accident in the first place..... Take care, and try to get some rest.... good luck on your tests.... let us know how you make out on them....... ((( HUGS ))))
Grama-j

You took the words right out of my mouth. I am a mother of 4 ( the oldest is a Junior in college). Trust me, we do tend to panic when we are not with our "babies". I know you can do it. We have told all of our children that if they want to go to college, they are going to have to exaust every possible avenue. My daughter works for the work study program and makes about $300.00 a month and also has a part time job. Her grades are A's and high B's. She pays for her car, her insurance and her phone. She also pays for anything she needs...gas, food, entertainment. She has received scholarships and grants for everything. In the past 2 years, going into 3...we have only sent her about $150.00. She is so confident and very independant. She is so greatful that she was taught the way she was because she says that she can do anything!And, once again, so can you. You are talented, gifted and smart. I am just greatful you are okay...that's what makes it a great day! icon_biggrin.gif I'll be praying for you...Lisa

lbain Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:51am
post #22 of 29

You guys are soooo sweet!!! THANKS SOO MUCH!!

Yall really know how to make me feel better...
I really can't thank all of you for your words of wisdom and support!

This website means so much to me and so does my CC family...

Just to inform...my boyfriend came over and spent the night with me which was nice to have someone there to comfort me and then he drove me to my classes today...
unfortunately i made a 70 on my economics test but its motivating me to do even better on my other tests!!

PLUS!
I am currently baking some brownies icon_smile.gif Im excited.. haha

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!

LOVE YALL!
-Lauren

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:46am
post #23 of 29

but you passed, right? I got a 70 on one of my finals too but, I got a A+ on the second one so you should too. I'm sending my luck to you now, at least for the school stuff. icon_smile.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:13pm
post #24 of 29

The one of the best bits of college advice I ever got was from my first-year English professor.... She said it was advice she got from her professor in college... When it comes to the choice between an hour of studying and an hour of sleep, take the HOUR OF SLEEP!!!! You're better off to have coherent answers than ones you're so exhausted to get coherently out but in a dreary state, you put down on paper instead.

If it's any consolation I learned to live off of $5/week for food in college, plus pay private apartment rent, pay for gas, phone, internet, etc. All without asking for charity. It CAN be done!!! You've just got to learn to shop smarter, not on want. A bag of flour, bag of sugar, rice, yeast, and learning to cook cheap cuts of meat will sustain you through a lot. I had the best diet compared to the people who were on campus meal plans and I spent far less.

Hard as it might seem, you'll live through it and be a smarter budgeter for it which is what your parents are trying to teach you. Most of all, learn to study smarter, not longer. Longer studying does not mean smarter studying. If you've studied properly you aren't going to add a second of your time except for a quick review of your notes before exams. Also, how your studying may be imacting why you're so sleep deprived. Really go through your schedule and figure out what is going wrong. Did you study differently in highschool compared to now? Chances are you need to go back to how you were studying before.

Good luck!!!!!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:39am
post #25 of 29

I just wanted to add that when I read that you have only slept 4 hours in 3 days and were in an accident, I just thought that you were very lucky that no one was hurt. Lake of sleep not only affected your test score it was extremely dangerous for you to drive while tired. Please call someone to drive you if you have not had enough rest because the consequence of fatally injuring someone because your responses were not focused because of lack of sleep, is something that you do not want to live with. It is almost as bad as being drunk and driving in my views. Okay, off my soap box, but please think about it.

Go eat some chocolate and feel better tomorrow

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:21am
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

I just wanted to add that when I read that you have only slept 4 hours in 3 days and were in an accident, I just thought that you were very lucky that no one was hurt. Lake of sleep not only affected your test score it was extremely dangerous for you to drive while tired. Please call someone to drive you if you have not had enough rest because the consequence of fatally injuring someone because your responses were not focused because of lack of sleep, is something that you do not want to live with. It is almost as bad as being drunk and driving in my views. Okay, off my soap box, but please think about it.

Go eat some chocolate and feel better tomorrow

I forgot to mention this part in my post, but I WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

My brother is a 911 dispatcher and we chatted about this once (I work a job that I've learned to manipulate my sleep cycles and drive a LOT of hours in a short period, but you can only manipulate them to a certain extent for a period of time before you need to literally stop and sleep for 24) if you're driving on the interstate where it's marked "emergency parking only"... If you're driving and you find yourself becoming drowsy behind the wheel, you ARE an emergency waiting to happen, pull off and sleep! A squad would rather stop 1000x for people sleeping on the side of the road safely than they would at one fatality accident because someone fell asleep behind the wheel. Granted, it's not exactly 100% safe there, but it's a lot safer than the vehicle moving and you nodding off. Granted, you probably weren't on the interstate, but the same applies to roadways.

You're better to get to your destination a half hour late than never arrive at all. If you're studying to the point of only getting an hour's worth of sleep, you aren't doing yourself any service and you're threatening others lives. I'm not meaning to sound like I'm scolding because I've done the excessively long hours OTOH, before I started doing them I learned the interworkings of the mind and most of all to LISTEN to my body and it's need for sleep when it says SLEEP! 23 hours on for four days is going to land you in halucination zone, but it's also a brainwashing tactic used by many entities, maybe joining the Marine's or Navy Seals won't seem too tough at this point LOL...

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:46pm
post #27 of 29

sorry, I meant lack of sleep, not Lake of sleep

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:01am
post #28 of 29

Good to know everything kind of smoothed over, Lauren. Just 'keep plugging along' as my DH would say and before you know it, those days will be history. I'm glad that the 70 motivated you and that it's not a failing grade!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:13am
post #29 of 29

Maybe you can go to your student services at your university or college and ask for help. Seems to me (and I was a stay up all night cramming kind of student myself) that you aren't going to learn anything after 4 hours of sleep in 3 days. I mean, it kind of sounds like you were having a panic attack and freaked out and decided not to sleep. Is this your first year/semester of college? Good luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%