Do You Prefer Cake Release Or Parchment Paper?

Decorating By margaretb Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 11:03pm by margaretb

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 31

Hobby baker here: I love using the wilton cake release on my pans. However, I've seen quite a few references on this site to using parchment paper. Is that what the pro bakers use? Do you use it on the sides of the pan as well?

Thanks

30 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 31

I don't use either - I line the entire pan with wax paper. Cake release works great - but I'm lazy and hate scrubbing pans.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 31

I use cake release on the sides of the pan and parchment on the bottom. then i very lightly brush a tiny bit of cake release on the parchment. works like a dream!!!

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 31

I have used cake release, butter and flour, parchment, and wax paper. Hmmmm because I do not like scrubbing pans either, I prefer the wax paper and parchment!! And it takes the extra crumbs off the cake, makes it easier to crumb coat!!!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 31

Sorry duplicate post

Jessica icon_smile.gif

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 31

Ok, newbie here.... Do you hand cut circles and sides for the pan for the parchment or just smoosh it in there to fit? I just spray the bakers dream and think it works nice. Will I get better results another way?

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 31

I use homemade cake release only - too lazy to cut the wax paper or parchment.

Yazmin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yazmin Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 31

I did not know you can also use wax paper !!! I spray Baker's Joy bottom and sides and also use parchment paper and spray some more. Wax paper is cheaper than parchment I will give it a try.

snowshoe1 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 31

You don't need to cut out the wax paper - line your entire pan with it. Works like a charm.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 31

Parchment here.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 31

I use parchment paper for the bottoms. I hardly ever have problems with the sides of the cake and if I do I take out my trust spatcula

mandm78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandm78 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 31

I swear by parchment paper/pan liners. I cover bottom & sides with it. I don't spray unless I really need to get the sides w/parchment to stick. My husband cuts out all the paper for me. I usually have him cut extra to keep handy for the next cakes.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:00pm
post #13 of 31

What a great hubby you have mandm78!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:06pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

You don't need to cut out the wax paper - line your entire pan with it. Works like a charm.

doesn't it get wrinkly or folded while you are putting it in the pan?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:06pm
post #15 of 31

I have been using parchment paper.. it is a pain to cut the stuff, but I really think the cakes bake higher and nicer with it. When you cover your pans without cutting how do you do it? I would worry that the krinkled paper would make for a bumpy cake, but I'd love an easier way to do it.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #16 of 31

I guess I'm even lazier (and cheaper) than everyone else. I just use paper towels. I cut a circle (or the shape of the bottom of the pan) and lay it in the bottom; nothing on the sides. Never had a problem. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #17 of 31

I use Bakers Joy. It works fine and I don't have to go to the hobby store to get it.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 31

I use wax paper on my regular pans, and cake release on the shaped and bundt pans.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #19 of 31

OK. I have silently read all the threads that had to do with non-stick products and have always been tempted to share my secret and then I decide I am to lazy to type. But I have some time now so I will share my secret non-stick rrecipe that I have been using for 10 years and is perfect for busy people, people who like convenience, hardworking people, any people! Cleanup is a snap with this mixture! Seriously! I use it for cakes, pies, even fishsticks Anything you put in the oven that you don't want to stick!

Get a bottle of LIQUID VEGETABLE LECITHIN (usually at a health food store or health isle at a regular store). It has the texture of honey.
Add 3 p arts veg oil to 1 part lecithin and mix together until completely blended. Use a brush to brush onto pans or whatever surface you want to make non-stick. That's it. You can make a big batch and keep it in a bottle at room temperature. It doesn't go bad! Sometimes, I reinforce it by just tearing a piece of waxed paper and putting it in the center of the pan. I don't have to cut anything to size or anything. Just a little square. But I am sure I don't even need that reinforcement. It just comes in handy if I have to put my hands under the cake while I prepare it.

But trust me, this will save you a lot of time, effort, energy, not to mention money! If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:46pm
post #20 of 31

I've tried everything to the test, and I have to say that's there's nothing better than the cake release from Wilton. Cakes just pop out no matter how long you leave in oven. I love that stuff, oh and hardly any crumbs.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:48pm
post #21 of 31

I usually just use a release, but lately things have been sticking and I HATE doing the work to make a scratch cake only to have it fail! Then I grab whatever box mix I have cause I don't want to deal with the measuring, sifting and what to add when and when to mix what. So I may soon be a paper lining convert.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:54pm
post #22 of 31

Parchment here.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:55pm
post #23 of 31

I use both! Cake release the pan, then parchment just the bottom. I'm a little paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid then have a cake come out of the pan in pieces! There's nothing that frustrates me more!!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 9:15pm
post #24 of 31

SharonK1973 -- how honoured I am that you chose to share your secret on my thread. How special I feel!

Thanks for all the opinions. As I said, I use cake release (used to use butter and flour, but when my laziness won out over my cheapness, I switched to cake release), but I have been wondering if there was a better method. Plus I have a gigantic roll of parchment paper I got at Costco.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 9:17pm
post #25 of 31

I'm going to look for the lecithin. THANK YOU!

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 9:22pm
post #26 of 31

Sharon, thanks for sharing your "secret"! I have used some commercial spray products with Soy lecithin in them, but the company stopped making the one I loved.

I now use the new (regular, not butter flavor) Crisco, no stick spray in the blue can. It has soy lecithin and canola oil in it. You will find it in the bakery isle by Pam spray and that kind of stuff.

I spray the sides and I use parchment paper cut in circles, square, etc. for the bottom of the pan and it works well.

snowshoe1 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:37pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I have been using parchment paper.. it is a pain to cut the stuff, but I really think the cakes bake higher and nicer with it. When you cover your pans without cutting how do you do it? I would worry that the krinkled paper would make for a bumpy cake, but I'd love an easier way to do it.

I just pull out a few pieces of wax paper, enough to line the pan, and stuff the paper in the pan, fold it over the sides and cut off any excess. The cake batter weighs it down and the cakes are not bumpy. I do this because I can never seem to get the pans really clean ( when I use a spray I have to get out a toothpick to get the seams cleaned out).

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #28 of 31

big roll of parchment paper at costco?!
Ooh! I gotta go!

avenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avenje Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #29 of 31

I use Pam that has Flour in it. Works perfect!

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #30 of 31

I use cake release then parchment on bottoms- works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%