Pt Cake Decorators - Do You Have An Additional Business?

Business By jessieb578 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 7:00pm by sugarcheryl

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 8

So, I work full time and do cakes on the side part time. I would love to do cakes full time, but I'm nervous to move in that direction that it wouldn't fully support me. Does anyone have an additional part time gig that they do in addition to cakes??

I just started an online travel business, I'm hoping between the two that they can co-support me. My two favorite things in the world are traveling and cake decorating so I figured I'd give them both a shot and see how they work out together. Any suggestions??

7 replies
UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 8

I have my standard 9-5 and do cakes on the side. Then only other thing I do is sell stuff on eBay. Do your research about taking the leap of faith doing cakes full time to support you. Hope all works well for you.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 8

I work part time in a catering company's bakery and I also do cakes from home on the side. This has been working out pretty well. There's a full time cake decorator there so I just help her out, and I also do the specialty fondant and carved cakes. If I have a cake to do at home then I do it at night...which is what I do anyway b/c of my 3 kids.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 8

I'm really the only cake place in town aside from Price Chopper and WalMart, so I couldn't really get a p.t. job doing anything involving cakes. I started the travel thing which is working out great, but it's getting a bit much becasue I work full time, do cakes part time and now the travel thing.

I guess for me, I work hard and play hard too....looking forward to a cruise in February!! I just wondered who else may do something like that.

I was looking into Kate Aspen to maybe have an online business selling wedding favors, etc. Maybe that is a possibility too.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 8

I work full time and do cakes on the side too...wonder how much is in doing cakes full time. I'm really busy but it's hard to just quit my day job and depend on my cakes. Wonder if anyone who does this full time could give some advice or statistics on how well they do as far as salary? Hope the travel thing and cake bus work out for you good luck!

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 8

I'm interested in seeing replies for this. I'm a SAHM and mainly do cakes for fun - occasionally I have someone ask for a cake that I get paid for. I recently had another baby and am looking for something I can do from home. Lord knows there's nothing outside of the home I can do that I'll actually make money at after childcare...so people who work from home - not on cakes- what do you do?

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 8

I sell cake decorating supplies online and also do chocolates & candies to supplement. It's funny though because the supplies/candies side gets more business than the baking side. I would love to have a half cakes/half supplies shop in my town, but the initial $$ would be too much. Right now I'm out of my home bake shop and all of my supplies are here too, so no additional overhead! (actually able to write it off of my house expenses icon_smile.gif )

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 8

I work for Sam's Club bakery full time. I have my own cake biz part time plus real estate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%