Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Like Marshmallow Fondant????

Decorating By TamiAZ Updated 14 Aug 2005 , 7:28pm by Newbie

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 6:05am
post #1 of 11

It seems like everyone raves about it.... icon_confused.gif I made it once and found it too messy and I didn't care for the way it tasted. thumbsdown.gif So, am I the only one??? I'm rushing to put on my flame retardant suit.... icon_lol.gif

10 replies
bigboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigboots Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 11

Your not the only one.I don't like
the taste either.My kids love
it so ill keep making it for them.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 11

I'm making it for the first time today!? I don't like the way store-bought folled fondant tastes, but my husband and kids liked it. Then again, they'll eat anything with a hint of sweet in it!

dolphindreamers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphindreamers Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 11

I just made MMF yesterday for the first time. I didn't like it either! I think I'm going to go with the faux fondant when I make the cake!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 11

I find that it tastes a lot like the pre-made stuff I buy so I'm no further ahead in that category. On the other hand it is very cost effective compared to the bought fondant.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 11

It is most deifinitely cost effective but IMHO it really doesn't have the feel and texture of real fondant. My personal favorite is still Satin Ice!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 11

I agree with MrsMissey, it is much more cost effective .. as for taste, it is chewy and I think that in itself is what some people do not care for .. most icings are smooth and melt once in the palate .. I think the chewy texture isn't expected and a lot of people just don't care for that .. so I put plenty of icing under mine .. for those that do not care for the fondant, they can peel it off and enjoy the icing beneath it icon_smile.gif .. ask me why I do this? I have to say it's because you get such a wonderfully smooth surface that you don't have to worry with like you do with buttercream icon_smile.gif

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 11

I think it's okay, but I prefer plain buttercream. I have thought about flavoring it, but sometimes you just want the good old vanilla and chocolate.

I use it primarly for the looks. I think I'm going to try Satin Ice and maybe some homemade ones too.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 11

I have not tried MMF yet...but do not like the taste of Wilton's fondant. I really love the look of fondant so I am sure that I will try it and use it. I will do what Cheryl does and put a nice coat of buttercream underneath it! icon_smile.gif
traci

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 11

Wilton's Fondant is nasty... I prefer Satin Ice and I like to mix some candy clay in it so it has a taste similiar to Choco-pan... thumbs_up.gif I tried the MMF because it seemed like a cheaper way to go... I think I'll stick to Satin Ice!!

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 7:28pm
post #11 of 11

I think the Wilton fondant is ABOMINABLE - just the smell makes me gag. MMF is far superior in taste and smell. Satin Ice is nice, and ChocoPan is lovely too. But you can't beat buttercream for taste..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%