Carolina Cake Show

Decorating By lbass Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm by rkljazz

lbass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbass Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 41

Did anybody else go today?

This was my first cake show and I had a ball!!!!
I wish I would have entered a cake. The cakes were so awesome!!!!!
I didn't get to stay till the end, so does anyone know who all won?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

40 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 41

I haven't heard about it. Where was it?

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:00am
post #3 of 41

I went too and had a blast! I really enjoyed the demos in center court - particularly the cake carving one by Jef Bailey. My cake won 2nd for the intermediate novelty category. The people's choice best in show cake was amazing, I wish I had a picture. Where are you from? I'm based in Durham. I would like to find other Triangle area cake decorators.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:16am
post #4 of 41

I hadn't heard about it. How would I find out about cake shows? I've always been curious.

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 41

The cake show was amazing! It was in Charlotte at the Pineville Mall. My daughter and I entered last year and this year. It's always a lot of fun and the judges give you great advice on how to improve your techniques! My daughter won 1st place in her division, 8 & under, and I won 2nd in mine, intermediate non-tiered special occasion. One of the organizers told me that the mall really doesn't want us there and they were very difficult to work with this year, so they're looking for a new venue for next year. I can't wait!! I took a lot of pictures of cakes there, but I'm not sure if I can post pics of other people's cake without their permission. I'll put up mine and my daughters though icon_biggrin.gif

Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 41

I was there and the cakes were amazing! This is the first time I have been to a show or entered one also and I cant wait to go back next year! I have a pics of all the cakes at the show and I would upload some but im not sure where to put them.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 41

How do you find out about these shows? Is it in the Charlotte Observer?

Sonya Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 41

North Carolina ICES put this show on and I think they have it every year. Here is their website keep checking back next year to see when the show will be again. It is usually around the same time every year.
http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/ncices/

If Pineville mall doesnt want us there maybe Concord Mills Mall might. icon_biggrin.gif

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 41

I had a great time too. My cake got a 1st place ribbon. There were only three in my category though. Some of the cakes were just spectacular and they didn't even place, because the competition was so tough. I stayed in the mall for over 11 hours and didn't even look in one store. I was into the demos. I will try to post my cake.
LL

Sonya Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 41

Hi turtle! I seen your castle cake and it was great! Congratulations on your 1st place ribbon!! I am already thinking about what to do next year, lol.

turtle3264 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 41

Sonya--Thank you. Your cake was great too. I stood there and looked at all of those roses. I can't even do one rose. lol I'm already excited about next year too.

lbass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbass Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 41

Turtle-I saw your cake and even took a picture of it.

Do yall know which cake won best of show? I guess I need to check out NC Ices website.

My husband was so great to come with we with the kids. We were there about 5 hours and he entertained them the whole time.

I also liked the doll cake contest. Especially the bridal barbie. I wish I could have stayed for the buttercream flowers.

This show has convinced me to join ices in my area!

I can't wait till next year!

turtle3264 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 41

The cake that won Best of Show was yellow. It was number 716. It had big orange flowers and blackberries on it. It was a wedding cake. They should have it on the ICES site soon.

Sonya Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 41

I am working on putting all the pictures on a web host and as soon as I finish I will post a link.

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 41

I'd love to see more pictures because I didn't take very many. If somebody figures out how/where to post them, please let me know!

MsTonyasCakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm
post #16 of 41

Turtle-I loved your castle!! You did a fabulous job on it, it was one of my favorites!

Sonya-I absolutely loved the colors you used and how you broke it up with the roses, it was wonderful!

lbass-I see you're in Clinton, check out the SC ICES page, there's a Day of Sharing coming up and those are WONDERFUL!!!

www.scices.org

Sonya Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:37pm
post #17 of 41

Ok here is the link for the pictures I took at the show. I think I did get pictures of all the cakes but if anyone sees one I missed let me know.

http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee337/cakecre8tor/

enjoy icon_smile.gif

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:38pm
post #18 of 41

I was also at the show this weekend and had a blast. The demos were great and the cakes were beautiful! My toy box pic in my pictures won best special occasion intermediate division and best intermediate division all around. I had never entered a cake show before, now I am already thinking about next year!

afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #19 of 41

Oh my gosh, wendalynn - your toy box cake was absolutely ADORABLE!! Was by far my favorite in the show - great job!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #20 of 41

I missed it...again!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #21 of 41

Yes, I went to the Carolina Cake Show! It was fabulous!
I loved seeing all the cakes, and since I'm new here, I don't
know who put what cake in there, but there were some
AMAZING cakes there!!!!
I was flabbergasted at the 13-17year old category too!!
Those were wonderful!!!!
This makes me want to do more and maybe enter next year!!

So, if you put a cake in the show, I just want to say, Congratulations!

Susan

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #22 of 41

Thanks afolk!!! I loved doing the cake!

MsTonyasCakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:50pm
post #23 of 41

LOVED your toy box Wendalynn! I took pics from every side, it was so detailed and beautiful! It would have taken me an entire year to do all that! Congrats on 1st place and best intermediate division, you definitely deserved it!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #24 of 41

Thank you for sharing the photos! I love seeing what other cake shows have. Great work!!

May I ask what kind of demos and how many there were at this show? Who did them? Was it just local cake decorators or pros?

Someone mentioned a doll cake contest? Was that a separate contest?

And finally, what was the grand prize?
Thanks!
KimAZ

turtle3264 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:30pm
post #25 of 41

MsTonyasCakes--Thanks for the compliment, I remember that your daughter did a desert last year...which one did she do this year?

Kim AZ--There was a demo on a lingerie cake, a carved cake(an alligator), a castle cake(one side was for a boy and the other for a girl), gumpaste gerber daisies, and a cake competition. There was a cupcake demo, but I missed it. The cake competition had three ladies that made a doll cake from the beginning. The cake was already baked of course. They picked a piece of paper, not knowing what type of doll cake that would have to do. There was southern belle, bridal and princess. At the end, they chose a winner by the amount of applause that they got. I think these were local people doing the demos. From what I could figure out, they have shops in the area. I think some of them teach classes.

The grand prize winner got a 4.5 qt. kitchenaid mixer and something autographed by Bronwen Webber. Not sure if I missed anything.

MsTonyasCakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:33pm
post #26 of 41

Sorry, I can't answer your questions about the demo's, I didn't stay for them. My daughter and I dropped off our cakes and spent the day at Carowinds. I wasn't even going to attempt to keep an 8-year old occupied at the mall all day long!

The "Best of..." winners got really great gift baskets with all kinds of goodies in them and the Best of Show got a new KA! 1st - 3rd places got ribbons and everyone that put in their doorprize ticket got a door prize. I got a set of heart gumpaste cutters and my daughter got a really cute bear mold for fondant/gumpaste.

MsTonyasCakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:40pm
post #27 of 41

Turtle-You have a GREAT memory! Allison did the desert last year and this year she did the farm. There were 2 in the youth/teen category. Hers was the barn made of RKT, silo made of butter cookies, animals made of fondant. It's in my pics thumbs_up.gif I'm SO proud of her, she worked REALLY hard! She started making her animals in July!

turtle3264 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:46pm
post #28 of 41

I never delete my e-mails and I wanted to meet up with some people that went last year. I had an e-mail from you last year. I met Daisy and AndiSC this year. I didn't want people to think I was stalking them...lol. I just wanted to try and put faces with names on here. Her cake was great. I think I'm going to make a farm cake for my son's birthday.

MsTonyasCakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:52pm
post #29 of 41

Were you sitting over on the flower pot?

turtle3264 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:22pm
post #30 of 41

Yeah I was there with my husband and little boy. I heard you talking about your little girl's desert cake, but I'm so shy, I didn't really want to introduce myself. That's how I figured out who you were.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%