A Day In The Life....

Business By snarkybaker Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm by holoien003

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:04am
post #1 of 22

For those of you who dream of owning your own shop, I thought I might give you an idea of what a day is like as a bakery owner, and not just the financial realities that get talked of from time to time, but how little time you actually get to spend in the kitchen:

Here is what my day has been like today:

Arrive 7:45 AM- Baker tells me that kitchen intern has stripped the drive gear of $700 food processor. Can she get a box grater to make carrot cake wedding cake for 290.

9 AM- Art Museum calls. We're so excited about cake for Sunday..... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif That's supposed to be next Sunday, and it's cake for 500 or so with loads of intricate hand painting. Call in everybody who is off

11 AM- ABC in New York calls... Would we mind if Good Morning America came in and filmed a segment tonight...TONIGHT!!!!!! Sweet Jesus! Call in everybody else who is off to come in and clean...

11:15- New Pastry Chef's car gets towed....she's parked in the wrong spot.

2:48- Bank calls- They can't process payroll, the PDFs of the time sheets aren't legible. Can you resend before 3 or no one gets paid.

2:50- Dishwasher/ gelato maker tells you tomorrow is his last day.

3:15 Head baker gets freaked out because one egg is actually a chicken..screams bloody murder. New pastry chef drops fully decorated cake due in 25 minutes.

4:50 Counter help comes to desk, Cash register is frozen... They have 11 open internet windows on register computer.

6:15 run home- change clothes shower. get ready for Good Morning America.

8:00 PM sit and wait for TV people to show up.

After TV people leave, have to go to grocery, get more carrots, stock supllies for tomorrow. Be back at 6 AM.

21 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:18am
post #2 of 22

Unfortunately as business owners we have to take the good with the bad....tomorrow's another day. Keep your chin up, it could be worse....we could be in a hurricane Ike state without power, water and for many a house or business. Every news report I watch about these hurricane ravaged areas makes me pause and say to myself "what the heck do I have to complain about.....nothing at all". Something to think about.

I hope tomorrow is stress free for you....sending good vibes your way icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 22

I know that today was stressful, but how AWESOME is it that your business is going to be on "Good Morning America"? =o)

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 22

wow what a day!

you need your own tv show!

how cool about the exposure though!!!! man i bet after that you guys are really gonna be hoppin...scarey and exciting all at once.

i think real entrepreneurs are wired for all the excitement...if something aint going on ya get bored.

i don't think i got as much entrepreneur in my blood as you do.

please let us know when we can see you on tv!...i'm so happy and excited for you!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:23am
post #5 of 22

Good Morning America just left... we'll be on Saturday morning when they are live from UNC.

My point is really that even good days ( like when they call and say you're going to be on national televison) are INSANE and crazy stressful.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #6 of 22

Crazy day, txkat! But how do you feel on days like this? Do you thrive on it, or does it seem like you're chasing a runaway train? Or both? icon_lol.gif

Congrats on the GMA segment! I'll be watching this Saturday!

Btw, I love your website! Great colors and such an inviting feel!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:10am
post #7 of 22

Everyone turn on your t.v.'s we have a star among us. That's wonderful that your are going to be on ABC Saturday. Wow!

Now, if humanly possible go kick your feet up and rest. Just reading your post made me tired.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 22

tkkat, you must think I am a complete idiot. I just read my post and realized that I didn't congratulate you on your GMA piece icon_redface.gif

A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU......can't wait to see it, I'm setting my DVR.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 22

That's hilarious that the baker found a chicken in the egg and freaked out. icon_lol.gif And wow, your day is crazy. I get stressed just reading it! That's awesome you're going to be on GMA. I hope I get to see it. Good luck finding a new dishwasher. I hate it when people quit suddenly. At least give a few days notice!

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 22

And here I am doing some serious stress relief drinking due to not getting the paint and the carpet I wanted and had planned on. WHAT A DAY YOU HAD. And you are still sane enough to write us all about it. WOW Hats off to you.!!!!!

Congratulations on GMA. With the help of my slingbox I hope to be able to watch it.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 22

Txcat,

Thanx for sharing. GMA!!! WOW!!! WTG!!!! That is awesome!!!

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 22

Thats alot for one day. Sounds like you got it under control tho!! thumbs_up.gif Even tho I am sure you wonder at times if you do, hehehe! I hope I don't miss you on tv. Thats so cool!! icon_biggrin.gif Congrats on that! icon_biggrin.gif

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 22

Oh my God you made me laugh so hard!!! Thank you!! You have such a great sense of humor!! The part about the egg being a chicken just me laugh so hard I was imagining your pastry chef with a little baby chicken in the batter!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 22

It looks like you had a break between 11:15, and 2 what did you do with that time? LOLOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Congrats on GMA I'll be watching. So very cool

Mike

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #15 of 22

Thanks so much for putting that into perspective.
Still, I bet you're loving it thumbs_up.gif
And I still want to try it, being running all the time, being stressed all the time. I think I'd love it too....
Well everything but the TV, btw, congratulations!!

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 22

That sounds like a crazy day, most people's jobs are like that too. Your company was built on your blood, sweat, and tears; not everyone has the priviledge of doing that or saying that they own their own sucessful company (I'm assuming that if you are going to be on Good Morning America you are "relatively" successful).

Keep up the good work!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:28pm
post #17 of 22

my hats off to you for all your accomplishments especially today!! (or is it yesterday now? heh)

whats UNC? if anyone can get the clip online please send to me?!?! i'd love it!! thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:55pm
post #18 of 22

Ok, did I miss it? icon_cry.gif I was even late getting started on my day 'coz I kept watching and watching. Please tell me it was more than the 3 seconds I saw where they said "...or eating gellato".

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:34am
post #19 of 22

lol...this IS like a tv show

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:16am
post #20 of 22

Reading this it reminds me why I discovered that the grocery store carries pre-shredded carrots... A little extra chopping and it's a CYA when grinding them yourself just ain't gunna happen... Yep, we grind them each by hand for carrot cake icon_twisted.gificon_wink.gif

I didn't catch the post until LONG after Saturday, so what'd they show?????

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:23pm
post #21 of 22

I recorded GMA on Saturday morning just to catch this segment, and I just now got around to watching it. I didn't see anything? Did they scrub your piece after all the trouble they put you through?

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #22 of 22

I hope they didn't! That would just be rude! thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%