Ok Im A Little Concerned And I Dont Want To Panic

Decorating By jackie64 Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 1:14am by DebraDough

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 2 layer 14, 12, 10 inch tiered cake all of my layers have cracked in the center I know my oven temp is right and I didnt do anything different . I am using the Wilton Perferred Scalloped Decorator Plates and 7 inch pillars , has anyone sucessfully tiered a cake this size with the layers cracked . I am so afraid I cant even say it. Please help is there anything I can do .

5 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 6

How badly are they cracked? Can you "glue" them back together with some icing?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 6

if your using pillars there shouldn't be any problem at all...

you should have seen some of the cakes they gave us to decorate at this one place i worked...we started calling them frankenstien cakes cause they were so hacked up and put back together.....after they were decorated you couldn't tell.

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:58am
post #4 of 6

Ok I feel a little better now I do think the icing will hold them I was worried with the cracks in the cake that when I put the pillars in it might not do well but I am going to rotate the cakes and try to put the pillars in where it is not cracked . Thanks for your help .

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #5 of 6

if you freeze them first it kinda "tightens" the cake up.

i can ice just about anything and make it look nice if the cake is half frozen.

i like using the pillars that go thru the cake, that way they take all the stress....

DebraDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraDough Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:14am
post #6 of 6

As long as they are not stacked you should be all right. When they are stacked on top of each other even with good support I hate using anything that isn't dang near perfect. I agree with the freezing idea. I always freeze my cakes. Just makes them easier to handle, especially the really big ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%