In Need Of Help Quick--Have Made A Mistake

Decorating By patty7276 Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm by patty7276

patty7276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty7276 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:45am
post #1 of 12

help! am making a hockey cake and was excited about making a hockey skate to go on the cake. had a pattern to follow. made it out of rice krispie treats, covered with fondant. looks pretty good. the problem is it is huge--size of a real skate, and very heavy. my plan was to put it on top of a cake, but this thing is so heavy i don't think there's any way to do that. now i have a giant rice krispie treat and no cake. any suggestions? thank you

11 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:51am
post #2 of 12

I don't know exactly how big it is, or how big the base cake is, but I would think that you could put dowels the lower cake to support the skate. You may have to put some sort of plate under the skate, though.

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 12

What is your cake is it made to look like ice rink, could you lean the skate up against the cake?? I know with 2 kids in hockey I am quite used to seeing skates undone and leaning up against things. Good luck I would love to see pics when your done cause I'm always looking for hockey ideas

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:54am
post #4 of 12

Maybe instead of making a hockey cake to go with the skate, you should make a hockey stick out of cake. Or just lay the skate next to the hockey cake instead of placing it on the cake.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

Maybe instead of making a hockey cake to go with the skate, you should make a hockey stick out of cake. Or just lay the skate next to the hockey cake instead of placing it on the cake.

I like the hockey stick cake idea, it would take a big board but thats great!

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #6 of 12

I just looked at your pics and you did a tennis bag, could you do a hockey bag and lean the skate up against it

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:59am
post #7 of 12

you could make the cake to look like a giant hockey puck. just an idea.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #8 of 12

IF you put long skewers into the bottom of the skate, you can then push the skewers through the cake and into the cake board (if you are using a foam core or cardboard cake drum) and then the skate will be supported by the skewers and not even really resting on the cake at all. I have done this with other skates and cleats I have made that sit inside a cake duffle bag. If I had put them directly on the cake they would have crushed it - amazing how heavy those things get!!

patty7276 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:10am
post #9 of 12

thank you all for these good ideas. the cake was going to be a round cake with the skate on top. i was going to make a pair of sticks criss crossing across the front of the cake with a penguins emblem in the middle. the penguins emblem is pretty simple--triangle shape, penguin head on top, maybe the cake could be in the shape of that emblem. what do you think?

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 12

I just saw your cake in the pictures. It turned out great! icon_biggrin.gif LOVE the detail on the skate.

patty7276 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 12

thank you, millermom,

i realized that i would have to make a very big cake to go under that very big skate. since we didn't need that much cake opted to put the skate beside it. my son loved it. thanks to all for the help!

patty7276 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 12

thank you, millermom,

i realized that i would have to make a very big cake to go under that very big skate. since we didn't need that much cake opted to put the skate beside it. my son loved it. thanks to all for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%