Ok Honestly How Hard Are These To Make?

Decorating By apetricek Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 12:20pm by GrandmaG

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #31 of 39

I'd love to try this! You all have such great information!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:29pm
post #32 of 39

Mel, pg. 5 of the sugarbottle thread. Here is the quote but I forgot who it was.
for the ice look you just make the sugar the same as the beer bottles but dont melt as long and then pour it on crinkled up tin foil and when it dries you crush it with a hammer. pretty sure i read this somewhere in this post. HTH
But mine stuck to the foil and it was a mess. I'm using a silicone pan next time!
You can use air dry clay for the stand to sit the mold in. Just take a big glob of it and make an impression of your bottle horizontally making it tip slightly lower at the bottom of the bottle. I will try to get a picture of mine to give you an idea.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:03pm
post #33 of 39

Ah, Grandma, thank you!!!

What about spraying the foil with non-stick spray? Do you think that would help???

GrandmaG Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:23pm
post #34 of 39

Give it a whirl, Mel. It's all trial and error here! icon_confused.gif I actually have little cuts on my hands trying to break it apart and peel off the foil. Don't want to do that again. All in the little fold parts of my fingers. Ouch!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #35 of 39

YOWCH!! Sounds like you earned some pumpkin kisses grandma. IF I HAD SOME I would share them with you! Heheheheheh!

GrandmaG Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #36 of 39

OK. will try to recreate my steps in how I made mine.
1. Take some air dry clay and make a fat long roll out of it. Make an impression with your bottle.
2. Peel labels and wash off glue and paper residue. Either leave cap on or drink the beer and put in a cork that is flush with the top which is what I did.
3. Set bottle on wax paper. With a brush and your Mold Builder gently brush vertical strokes until bottle is covered. Add about an inch lip around bottom. You'll be glad you did when handling the hot sugar.
4. With the Mold Builder it took me a couple of days before I finished it. Make sure the first coat is completely dry before adding the second. Seems like it dries faster with each coat.
5. When dry dust it with corn starch and roll it off. It will turn wrong side out but you can flip it right back with a little help of a wooden spoon handle.
6. With 1/2 Cup light syrup and 1 Cup sugar, mix in a 4 Cup glass measuring cup and cook in microwave at 50% power for 6 minutes. If you want it colored, add it with the corn syrup. For beer, no need to color as the sugar turns amber. I keep cooking for 2 minutes at a time at 50% until candy thermometer reads 310. It will boil over if you don't have a big enough container. I use a 4 cup glass measuring cup so it is also easy to pour.
7. Let it cool slightly about a minute, until it gets a little thick, like molasses. Carefully, and I mean carefully pour into mold. Start turning mold to coat. Keep pouring in and coating until you use all of the mixture. It hardens quickly! I didn't get a smooth look but by the time you put on the labels and put it in the cake it's not noticeable but with the amber beer look I'm sure it needs to look smoother. I need to practice that!
Within about 20-30 minutes it's ready to peel off the mold just like you did when making it!
That's it! Good luck! I tried to post pictures but I've wasted an hour just trying to attach! I've reduced the sizes to CC regulations but still doesn't work. If you want pictures of my recreated steps pm me.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:27am
post #37 of 39

Okay, I am amzing mold putty po'd! I was trying to make the mold for my sugar bottles and things seemed to go okay with the mixing. But as soon as I tried putting it on the bottle it acted like it wanted to stay in one small piece, not sread out over the bottle like I wanted it to! What did I do wrong? Now I have this big blob of $20 hard yellow mold making material. It got as hard as a rock, I swear. I didn't even get it to cover the front half of the bottle!!! I use just over half of each container of mix-yellow and white 1:1. I kneaded it to get the white streaks out, making sure to stay within the 3 minute time limit. Now I am just in tears. I can't believe I spent $20 on something just to have it do me this way. I must b crazy even trying this out. Help, help if you can. I have about 1/3 of each color of the mix left if you think it might work. Now I am even scared to try to make the clay mold part to hold the putty mold. Should I just gve up or what?

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:17pm
post #38 of 39

Okay. I tried the rest of the putty to make my bottle last night. Everything seemed to go much better. But when it was time to remove it, it tore!!! I am having a terrible time with this stuff, I guess. I think it is still usuable once I make the clay mold to hold it, right. I will just have to use the cracked side as the backs of the bottles I guess. Thanks for all of your help though guys. I am thinking about trying to buy some more and start again. Wish me luck!

GrandmaG Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:20pm
post #39 of 39

I'm not sure. I bought the kind that was already mixed! Sorry I can't help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%