Buttercream And Ribbon?? How?

Decorating By kanchaser55 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 3:47pm by PaulaT

kanchaser55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanchaser55 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 6

I have a bride who wants a buttercream cake but wants a ribbon along the bottom of each layer. I know that grease goes straight through ribbon using buttercream. How should I do this??... make it from fondant? Is there a trick someone knows?...

Thanks for sharing! : )

5 replies
levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 6

I like fondant ribbons, so I think that's a good solution. But what you can do is beat your buttercream to the punch and evenly grease the ribbon yourself before you put it on. Just spread Crisco over the back of the ribbon (evenly and thinly) and stick it on the cake. It's not foolproof, but it reduces the chances that you'll have splotchy grease spots show through after it's been on the cake a little while.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, I'm facing this same issue with a wedding cake for next weekend. I line the ribbon with clear tape or I iron on a strip of wax paper.
I hesitate to try spreading the ribbon with shortening or spraying with Pam for 2 reasons: 1 - I've read on CC that the grease may darken the color of the ribbon and 2 - There is always the chance that depending on the type of ribbon you use, the dyes could start to run onto the cake, which looks awful and is not foodsafe.
I use a crusting BC and I don't put the ribbon on until the end when I'm doing the final assembly at the Venue.

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 6

I don't do anything to my ribbon and I have done several of these. I just make sure to use double sided satin ribbon. I have never had any problems with the grease soaking into the ribbon.

Diane

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 6

I've had the same problem, but once I ironed the wax paper onto the ribbon, the grease stopped soaking my ribbon ( a tip I got from here!) icon_biggrin.gif
It worked great at it was so fast, I loved it.

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 6

Hi All,
Just iron your ribbon between wax paper. The wax prevents the grease from soaking into the ribbon. Make sure to put a piece of paper towel under and on top to prevent the wax from getting on your iron and ironing board. It works great.
Have a great day. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%