Cake Truffle Or Cake Ball Texture

Baking By CakeDiva70 Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 7:08pm by Cookies4kids

CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 5

These little goodies look so easy to make, but I have failed at it twice. I need help on what I am doing wrong. It can't be that hard to make. I tried just this week to make them out of the WASC cake. I crumbled the cake up in a bowl, and it was very moist already. Just to test the texture I tried to make a ball, and I could. However the ball was the texture of cookie dough. Is that how it is supposed to be or did I squeeze too hard. Even still I added just a little flavored coffee creamer to it, and it still was the same way. Is the texture supposed to be like cookie dough or when you bite into it should it be as if you are eating a slice of cake. Please help me out here. TIA!!!! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
CakeDiva70 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 5

Anyone?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 5

The texture is of wet cake mashed together - but not too chewy. I have no standard recipe since I just wing it but I add flavoring, creamer, etc and mix it until it is a big clump. Then I use a cookie scooper for uniform balls, roll and either let them sit out for 30 minutes or pop in freezer for 5. Then I hand dip in chocolate, etc. HTH

CakeDiva70 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks CakeDiva73! I think I might be squeezing too hard. I will try with the scooper next time.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 5

My first attempt with cake balls was also with WASC cake and I had the same experience. The cake was too moist to start with and I had Playdo instead of cake balls LOL. I try to avoid that recipe but have also found that if I use my 4 wire pastry blender to combine the binder and the cake crumbs, I don't get such a solid mass. I also add finely chopped toasted nuts to give them a little more flavor and texture.
Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%