Tiara Help

Decorating By babyblues1520 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 5:23am by babyblues1520

babyblues1520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblues1520 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 21

I'm sure this has been asked before....BUT I can't find the answer anywhere.
I am wanting to make my baby a castle cake with a Tiara on top for her 1st birthday next weekend. And what i'm wanting to know is.......
1: What is the best to make the tiara out of? (royal icing or melted chocolate or chocolate plastic) I got white chocolate chips to melt and try to use but was not sure how well they would work....I also have the stuff to make stiff royal icing......
2: How many days in advance can I make the tiara and it still be good to use? (can I do it now and it be good in 9-10 days)?
The reasoning behind me asking how long it will last is I am going to also be making a 3D dragon, wow wow wubbzy (which is by far the easiest one) and the castle with tiara on top ...For all 3 of my children (will be 6, 3 and 1) ALL on sat the 20th....PLEASE HELP

20 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 21

making them in advance will be fine. I made a tiara out of royal icing and it was actually easier than I thought it woulb be. I've never tried it with chocolate, though I'm sure it would work. If you look in my photos you'll see that I did a castle with a tiara on it. hth icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 21

I make my tiaras out of white candy melts all the time!!! I pipe once... then refridgerate...and repeat 2-3 times.Once it is good and set I carefully peel the waxpaper off and Viola!!! I have made them from royal icing too before but I prefer white candy melts!!

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 21

The tiara in my photos is made of royal icing painting with gold edible paint. Then I used little dabs of RI as glue for the pearl dragees. I made this WEEKS before I used it. Royal icing keeps forever.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 21

RI lasts forever once hardened, and it seems that it would set harder. However, I can see where chocolate might work; you might just have to work faster before it softens.

disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 21

here is a picture of a tiara cake I just delievered today, it is out of gumpaste, super pearl luster and fake rhinestones. It will last for as long as you want to keep it..

I cut out the shape about a week in advance, let it dry and then attatched the rhinestones with royal icing the day before I finished the cake.

good luck with yours..

Sherri
LL

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 21

Just a word of warning about the white chocolate - it melts! I once did a tiara in white chocolate and by the time I reached the party it had slid off the cake and melted into a little puddle on the floor of my car. Granted it was pretty hot, so if you live somewhere cold you'd be fine, but don't take it for a ride in a hot car. I have also done one in RI, it broke as I slipped it off the can which I used to pipe it on, but it was easily fixed. Both are in my photos, the chocolate tiara is on the pillow cake and the RI tiara is on the princess castle.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 21

I made my first tiara out of Royal Icing. I would have lasted if I didn't break it (fortunately it was after the county fair was over). I just recently made one for my DD's bday this weekend out of gumpaste. I found that it was much easier and to me looked smoother. Good luck and I can't wait to see pictures.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 21

When you make them out of gumpaste, do you roll it flat and cut it out? or roll snakes and shape them? (if that makes sense)

babyblues1520 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:04am
post #10 of 21

Thanks EVERYONE for all the good info. It looks like I will have to try my hand at using the RI because I really don't want to spend all the time and work on making one out of chocolate just to have it melt and leave a big mess. I'm not sure how it will turn out so I bought one as back up just encase It doesn't do how I want it to.....BUT I will post pics of the one I do even if it turns out like you know what....lol......thanks again for the info.

disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:55am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

When you make them out of gumpaste, do you roll it flat and cut it out? or roll snakes and shape them? (if that makes sense)

I rolled mine out..but you can do it either way.. just depends what type of look you want...

pumpkinroses Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 21

I used a clay gun and used snake like shapes. I will be posting a picture probably tomorrow or Monday.

babyblues1520 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:20am
post #13 of 21

Well here is the tiara that I just got done making now I have to let it dry awhile and TRY to take it off the can and hope it stays in one piece.....ImageImageImage

babyblues1520 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:07am
post #14 of 21

Well It didn't make it.....I have to do another one the only thing left from this one is the pix you see and a lot of pieces icon_cry.gif ......SO tomorrow I'll try for #2.....

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:36am
post #15 of 21

Are you sure you can't rescue it by gluing it back together with some more RI? That is what I did with mine that broke. I overpiped the back and it came out just fine in the end. Seems a shame to have to start from the beginning, it is so pretty!

pumpkinroses Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:01am
post #16 of 21

sorry to hear it broke. Good luck the next one.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:57pm
post #17 of 21

I'm sorry it broke on you!!! It's beautiful. Did you use one of the templates on here? I wonder if you made the base from gumpaste then overpiped with RI for all the details, if that would hold up better? I'm going to be trying one of these for my daugther's BD in Oct. so this thread is helping me a lot!

babyblues1520 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:37pm
post #18 of 21

There was no way I could have saved it. I wish I could have..but I got #2 done now waiting for it to dry which is going to take longer this time because of the weather being so damp and stuff here......hope this time I don't have to start from the beginning again if it does decide to break.

babyblues1520 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

I'm sorry it broke on you!!! It's beautiful. Did you use one of the templates on here? I wonder if you made the base from gumpaste then overpiped with RI for all the details, if that would hold up better? I'm going to be trying one of these for my daugther's BD in Oct. so this thread is helping me a lot!

I did get a template from on here I do believe I went and looked so many different places to find one I thought I might want to try and can't really remember if it was here or some other place......and If this 2nd one doesn't turn out I might have to try the gumpaste base and see if that would work better.....couldn't hurt to try ...good luck with yours when you make it for your daughters BD next month

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #20 of 21

That was a beautiful tiara! Sorry that it broke, hope the second one is OK

babyblues1520 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:23am
post #21 of 21

I just wanted to share my cake pix that I just got done for my two kids for their birthday on the 20th......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%