September 11Th 2001 Memorial Thread

Decorating By Daisys_Cakes Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 12:09am by knjmom67

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 30

The topic title says it all, please post if you would like to share memories or express condolences to those who are still grieving for their loss.

God Bless America usaribbon.gif

29 replies
addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 30

WE WILL NEVER FORGET

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 30

I can't believe it's the 7 year anniversary, I still remember every detail of that day as if it was yesterday. My heart still aches for all of the families impacted and that are still feeling the reprocussions of it.

Personally, my brother has served one tour to Iraq and there are rumors of another tour coming up. I realize that I am relatively lucky that he hasn't had to serve more and I take it as such. I am thankful for my freedom b/c of what our servicemen/women have sacrificed for us.

SO even though today is a solemn day I hold my head up proud and I REMEMBER

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 30

great idea....

where was I... I was sitting on an Aircraft Carrier in the middle of the Persian Gulf. We were the 1st naval combat group to take control of the waters in that regions after the attacks. I remember watching the towers fall on our closed circuit television. Within minutes our commanding officer secured all contact with the outside world. No phone calls, emails, or mail going off of the ship for 2 weeks. It was very scary because we had so many people emailing us asking if we were okay... only those who were married or had children were allowed (and mind you after a week) to notify their NOK that they were ok. That stirred a lot of problems with younger or single people because we had families too... my mom and dad were freaking out because they never got return emails from me. I can also remember right after the attack and our entry into their waters, I could go onto the outer decks at night and it would be pitch black... all you could see was our small boy vessels firing off ammo into the distance, and then of course our fighter pilots leaving the ship full of ammo under the jet and a half hour or so later landing back on the pad with nothing. .It was surreal. I hurt so badly for everything that had gone on back in America and you better believe when my feet touched American soil in January of 2002 (110 days out there without leaving that boat until I was flown off) I had a much deeper appreciation for my country. I have NEVER FORGOTTEN that day, and never will. My children who are 5 and 18 months are already being educated about it. So many men and women lost their lives and are still losing their lives as a result of 9/11... I am grateful I have mine! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 30

I was driving to work on Rt 3 east in New Jersey... I had always loved that I could see the New York Skyline on my way to work. That day made we wish I couldn't. At the time I worked in an office on the Jersey side of the Hudson just outside the Lincoln tunnel... obviously I couldn't get to work that day or the day after, but for days after all I could see was the heavy cloud of dust that hung over the city near the site.

I knew 3 people that were lost that day... one was an old friend. My thoughts are with everyone who lost someone that day... and all the days since fighting for our country.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 30

I light a candle (in a tall glass cylinder) every year and put it on fronts steps of the house to remember those who lost their lives with the American flag flying right next to it in plants.

And to those who have a husband, wife, brother, sister, friend or relative who are in the military "thank them from me for serving our country and for letting us have freedom to go to school, speak what we say (even though some people should keep their mouth shut), for letting us live our lives".

My son ask my about a two guys walking by with military outfits on, "I told him they deserve a lot respect for what they do, because of people like them we have freedom"

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 30

God Bless the victims and there loved ones who have had to give up for our country, the ones they loved. It still seems beyond belief that this could happen in this country.
I live in Dearborn, Mi. Although I live in the Western side of the city, the Eastern side is home to the largest Middle Eastern population in the U.S. I strugel with this many a day. I am not a racist, please don't misunderstand. But the knowledge that most of these people are not citizens, recieve government, assistance, don't pay taxes, have special lunches, gym, lockerooms in our schools. And now they want my kids to learn Arabic! Sorry, I believe when my anscetors came to America, they had to live as Americans and learn English.
Sorry for ranting, just raw nerves.
GOD BLESS AMERICA! usaribbon.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 30

It was the fall of my junior year in college, and I was waiting at the bus stop to go to school. Someone pulled up in a car and yelled out the window to all of the students at the bus stop that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.
It was weird because no one knew who this person was, or why they had said this but we all got on the bus anyway and headed to campus. Campus was a ghost town, and I soon found out why - everyone was gathered around TVs in the Union watching the horrific events unfold.
I ran to my friend's house close to campus, and about 20 of us sat and watched in silence as Peter Jennings reported that the buildings were collapsing.

usaribbon.gif

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 30

I can remember being in my car with my SIL and small kids on our way to do some shopping when we bgan to hear it ll on the radio. We arrived at our destinationand just sat in the car sort of frozen and tranced-like. I remember all the details so vividly, that I almost feel like it just happened every time i think about it. I didn't have any personal losses, but I believe that we've all suffered such a major loss through this ordeal.
My heart, thoughts and prayers continue to go out to those in bereavement.

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 30

I can't believe it is 7 years already. I was walking to work that day in Manhattan and remember hearing a plane. I looked up and thought to myself that was weird because you never hear planes because the building are so tall. The sky was so perfect! It was a beautiful sunny day with the bluest sky I had seen in a long time. When I go to work I hear what happened. I was stuck in the city for hours. Nothing was working. No cars on the road, no trains working. I hated going back but I had to. I remember that day like it was yesterday. My best friends boyfriend was a fireman and died that day.

My prayers for everyone who lost a loved on.

Kara

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 30

We will never forget!
I am so grateful for the freedoms we have in this country. And it's all because of the brave men and women who fight to give us those freedoms. Thank you to all who have served in our military and to those who serve now. usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainalee

God Bless the victims and there loved ones who have had to give up for our country, the ones they loved. It still seems beyond belief that this could happen in this country.
I live in Dearborn, Mi. Although I live in the Western side of the city, the Eastern side is home to the largest Middle Eastern population in the U.S. I strugel with this many a day. I am not a racist, please don't misunderstand. But the knowledge that most of these people are not citizens, recieve government, assistance, don't pay taxes, have special lunches, gym, lockerooms in our schools. And now they want my kids to learn Arabic! Sorry, I believe when my anscetors came to America, they had to live as Americans and learn English.
Sorry for ranting, just raw nerves.
GOD BLESS AMERICA! usaribbon.gif

I am your neighbor alina, i am right by the airport in westland, I know exactly what you are saying! It is hard to feel that way but I understand.

My thoughts are with everone who lost someone.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 30

My sister was a flight attendant for United. She was in Detroit that morning. She and her crew were stuck there for 4 days with just one change of clothes. Although I'm in San Diego and far from the east coast, it was devastating. I saw it live on tv. I was up early nursing my 3 week old baby. We were new parents and the events completely shattered our joyous bliss. My son is in second grade now. I saved the front page of the San Diego tribune newspaper, with a picture of the Twin Towers for him. If affected everyone in our nation.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 30

The day before I had found out I was pregnant with my 3rd baby. I remember being so scared for what I was bringing him into.

Thanks for starting this post...

meriscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriscakes Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:51pm
post #15 of 30

As I was reading the threads I suddenly realized that our town bells were playing the star-spangled banner. It took me a moment to realize what was being played as live in a little town on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.

I remember getting ready for university that day and hearing that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. Later that morning after dropping my husband off at his school the newscaster on the radio had reported something about the Pentagon (I can't remember what they said exactly because I was so shocked!).

I am going to NYC next month and will pay my respects to all who lost their lives on that horrible and momentous day.

I will be thinking of all those lost and left behind today.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #16 of 30

I wrote three poems right after 9/11 that helped me to express how I felt, as well as helping me cope with all that was happening. One was for the towers, one was for our military, and one was for all the heroes. They still bring tears to my eyes, but they also let me know the sacrifices some people will go to for the freedom of others, and for that I am greatful.
THANK YOU to all the heroes, both in uniform and not for the continued freedom that me and my family have everyday.

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakerz

great idea....

where was I... I was sitting on an Aircraft Carrier in the middle of the Persian Gulf.

I salute you and everyone who serves in the armed forces. You show the strength of our nation and we will never forget the sacrafices you have made for our protection.

God Bless You and God Bless America - LAND THAT I LOVE! usaribbon.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #18 of 30

I can't believe how it can now be 7 years.... but for those who went through it in NY it seems like it was just yesterday. May God be with all those families who have suffered and continue to suffer through their loss. These are things that aren't easily forgotten and things that will continue to burn a hole in their hearts as they remember that day. Just yesterday I was watching a 9/11 special on NG and saw as survivors spoke of that day, a blank look as they spoke and were interviewed. You can see the pain on their face. At times I really wish we can wipe away all misery, pain and hurt from peoples face like the fairy did to Cinderella. But I've come to realize that these things just make us stronger inside and teach us a valuable lesson and that is to believe and love among all things. Be strong NY!

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:58pm
post #19 of 30

That was my senior year of college - I didn't have classes until the afternoon, so I woke up late and turned on the tv (still on TBS from the night before) and saw the Pentagon burning. I honestly thought it was a movie, so I just left the tv on and got in the shower to start my day. When I went back to the living room, I saw footage of one of the towers falling. As it was hitting me that this wasn't a disaster movie, the phone rang and my mom was hysterical telling me my dad was flying cross country that morning and she was worried. She filled me in on everything, and I just sat in stunned silence watching the news until it was time to leave for my class.

I remember it being the weirdest feeling driving to class. It was a beautiful day, and I passed kids on the playground at an elementary school, and there was heavy traffic on the interstates and music on the radio. All of that seemed so shocking because it didn't seem right that everything there in TN was business as usual when so many people had just died. I guess I had thought that the world would be standing still and was amazed that it wasn't. As worried as I was that day about my dad (we heard from him that night, safe and sound), what I remember most about that day is the strangeness of watching that tragedy on tv and feeling the world had ended, then going outside to find it hadn't.

klynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klynne Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:13pm
post #20 of 30

Gosh has it been 7 years!!! I remember that day well,,,I had just gotten to work and turned on the radio. John Boy and Billie radio show was playing when they came across that the first tower had been hit. We ran to the lobby to check the television and saw the second plane hit the second tower. Was such a horrible horrible day and I cant even imagine what those poor people and their families had to endure. My heart goes out to all who suffered and are still suffering from this horrible attack. Prayers and sympathies to all surviving family members!!!
I WILL NEVER FORGET!!!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1264229.html

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:34pm
post #21 of 30

My mom and i weren't talking at the time. We didn't watch the news at the same time but when she got home i just put my stupid pride aside and said i was sorry, i was 17 at the time and thought about not having my mom around to see me grow up.

Everyday without fail, i speak to my mom and tell her i love her.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:36pm
post #22 of 30

I was an operator in Directory Assistance here in PA. People were calling us from all over the US, and all over the world, to get telephone numbers of organizations they could donate to, or to try to get to New York City and to Washington and to Shanksville, to help. The circuits through New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut (all the closest ajoining states to New York State) were so backed up that they kept different area codes until they found a state which could assist them. Fortunately, at that time, our system was able to provide nationwide DA, and they finally got the telephone numbers they sought.

We had firefighters and rescue workers call us from Canada and Mexico. We had diplomats calling us from overseas, asking for the telephone numbers to their embassies, and for the telephone number to the White House, to offer assistance.

I felt so honored to be able to provide those telephone numbers to those people, because it told me that, no matter how much we might disagree, the rest of the world really does care about us.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #23 of 30

Jmtreu98 - thanks for your words of kindness. I realized when I joined in 1998 that something may happen where I would be away or even in combat, but I guess I never really imagine something so horrific as 9/11.... it is sad to say but some of our men and women in uniform and even contractors and news anchors have seen the horror everyday since then... some are on repeat tours and some will never come home... I am proud that fellow CC members feel as much pride for their country as I did when I joined and as I did to this day. They will never break us and by the grace of God, they will never take us.... we won't be moved! usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:12pm
post #24 of 30

Here is a poem I found that was written 2 days later.

We Are America
© Susan Halmi 9-13-01

Innocence destroyed,
Fear is felt by all.
Our world lie in shambles,
And yet we will stand tall.

Our lives stripped of normality,
A tragic memory forevermore.
They may have closed a window,
But we will find a door.

The pain seems to be unceasing,
Not a single eye is dry.
And yet through all of this horror,
Our heads remain held high.

Prayers are lifted up,
Sorrow controls our mind.
And yet through this time of darkness,
Our country's pride and strength will shine.

God bless our humble heroes,
Who risk their lives for me and you.
We will remember forever their courage
And hearts so bold and true.

God bless the innocent victims,
Who unknowingly stood by;
Clueless to the fact,
that very day they would die.

And God will bless America,
Land that we all love.
For He will send us hope,
faith, and strength from above.

For we will prevail,
For we will find a way.
Slowly we'll recover,
moment-by-moment; day-by-day.

For we are American's,
Proud, united, and strong.
And when we all so deeply believe in ourselves,
We cannot possibly go wrong.

Although we have long to go,
We'll conquer this terrible sin.
Because, we are America. . .
Simply, we shall win.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:13am
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakerz

Jmtreu98 - thanks for your words of kindness. I realized when I joined in 1998 that something may happen where I would be away or even in combat, but I guess I never really imagine something so horrific as 9/11.... it is sad to say but some of our men and women in uniform and even contractors and news anchors have seen the horror everyday since then... some are on repeat tours and some will never come home... I am proud that fellow CC members feel as much pride for their country as I did when I joined and as I did to this day. They will never break us and by the grace of God, they will never take us.... we won't be moved! usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

AMEN!!

It's people like yourself that makes me love AMERICA - (THE Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, the things that these people wanted to take away from you). My DH and I are both Canadians but I was pregnant and living in America when this happened. Even though we are not Americans by citizen my whole family is American in Heart.

Thank you for all that you have done!!!!

To this day my heart still bleeds for all those that were lost in this tragedy and all the heroes that lost their lives!

God Bless America!! usaribbon.gif

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:40am
post #26 of 30

Daisy, that was a beautiful poem! I couldn't get thru 5 lines before tears!!

mittmitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mittmitt Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:09am
post #27 of 30

Where was I.......I was at my boyfriends, now husbands house sleeping. His roommate banged on the door waking us up telling us we are going to war. We got up and turned on the TV and was watching it when my mom called. She was po'd because I wasn't home yet (we were moving) and I told her what happened. She thought I was lying to get the focus off me and I was like no really turn on the tv. I rushed home and we watched tv the rest of the day. My uncle was in the first Gulf War and he was in this one. I have many friends in the military most of whom have been to Iraq. I have a cousin who came home last year and another one well we don't know about him, he's Special Ops. My moms side is full of military and although I thank God they came home in one piece I know that there are many more who have come home wounded or not come home at all. I thank all of them for their sacrifice and makes me proud of them even though I don't now all of them, they will have my everlasting thanks and gratitude.

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #28 of 30

i was at mass that morning. right before mass started the secretary came and told the preist that a plane had hit the WTC. we all thought it was an accident and prayed. when i got home and turned on the TV found out it was not an accident. our family was very fortunate that day. my cousin is a NYC firefighter. his whole firehouse responded to the WTC. they are a rescue unit. all of them were in the tower when it collapsed. my cousin was the only one who made it out alive. 11 men from his house perished. WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!! prayers for all of those who lost someone and prayers for all of those who served to help that day and the days that followed..........

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:45am
post #29 of 30

Seven years later and my heart still aches like it did that day. Seven years later and my stomach still turns when I see footage of the planes hitting the towers and then the towers collapsing.

We went to NYC 6 months later and visited several fire stations, some who'd lost their entire crews. We were allowed roof access to one of the nearest remaining stations to the WTC so we got a very close look at Ground Zero. There was still so much destruction, it was hard to believe it had been six months because it looked like it had just happened the day before - to me anyhow. It was so devastating......

Thank you to all of our military heroes who fight so hard to defend our freedom everyday. Your service is not in vain and is appreciated so much more than you will ever know.

knjmom67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knjmom67 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:09am
post #30 of 30

September 11, 2001 - it was my 34th birthday. I was at work and my brother called me to wish me happy birthday...right then someone came down the hall and told us a plane had just hit the World Trade Center. I remember the day just seemed to fall apart. The first tower...the second tower...the plane in Pennsylvania...the Pentagon.
I hope never to have that sense of helplessness or that fear again.
Sugarbakerz - thank you and all service men and women for your service to a grateful nation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%