Attaching Flowers And Wire To Cake

Decorating By momtobtb Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 8:45am by bashini

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 8

I know this has been asked several times before, but I have to ask again. Sorry if these seem stupid as well! icon_lol.gif

First, what the best way to attach real flowers to a cake? The reason I ask is I'm doing a wedding cake for Oct 4th and she's going to have real flowers on the cake. Before I've had the florist stay and put the flowers on, but in the case the florist is leaving the flowers for me to put on the cake. I've never used real flowers before. HELP!

Second, what's the best way to attach anything on wires to the cake? I want to start practicing more on gumpaste flowers and doing the whimsical wire toppers. Is it best to use coffee straws and bubble tea straws for the bigger toppers? What do you use on top of the cake to conceal the opening of the straw (if that makes sense). I've used coffee straws before, but the wires seemed to move all around. Is there something to anchor them with?

Thanks!

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 8

Hi there, sorry I can't help you with fresh flower question. But for the wire, what I do is, I use a posy pick and put a tiny bit of fondant in it and stick the wires. You can position the wires the way you want.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:15am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi there, sorry I can't help you with fresh flower question. But for the wire, what I do is, I use a posy pick and put a tiny bit of fondant in it and stick the wires. You can position the wires the way you want.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Hi Bashini!

I was going to ask you what a posy pik was as I haven't personally heard the term before but figured I'd try to google it first. Is it the same thing as flower spikes? Sorry about my lack of knowledge but I figured I'd ask just in case someone else didn't know either. icon_redface.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:18am
post #4 of 8

I stick the wires right in the cake

bashini Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:43am
post #5 of 8

Hi, I have attached a link for you to see what its like. I don't know what you call it in US. But I'm sure you can get it from any cake decorating shop.

http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/OnlineShop-JewellerySundries.htm

HTH.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 8

I also just stick the wires into the cake.

For fresh flowers, the stems must be completely wrapped (floral tape) and if its a topper, I require the florist to arrangement it in a holder of some sort so that the flowers aren't actually on the cake.

And BTW, you should ALWAYS put the decorations (flowers) on your own cake. Florists are notorious for sticking unwrapped stems into cake and thereby making it no longer safe to serve.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:03am
post #7 of 8

Thanks bashini!

bashini Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:45am
post #8 of 8

You are welcome! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%