"glass" Made From Sugar?

Decorating By mlharvell Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 11:59am by Jocmom

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 17

I am making the "Coke" cake (see link below).

I want to make it look like it's in a glass. Is there a way to do this using sugar? If so, how? I was thinking about making clear rock candy and then wrapping it around a pan to get the right shape. Anyone have experience with this? Can anyone help?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1254542.html

16 replies
mlharvell Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 17

Not trying to be impatient, but I was planning on working on this tonight. Can anyone out there help? Please? icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 17

Have you read her instructions for the rock candy? I haven't made this one yet, but when she posted it, I printed off the instructions for the cake and the recipe for the rock candy. Maybe you could mold that somehow?

Are you wanting to cover the cake with it? or just make the can into a bottle made from sugar? icon_confused.gif

mlharvell Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 17

Yes, I've read the instructions. I also have a PM of detailed instructions.

I want to have the "glass" part just at the top of the cake. Maybe 1.5 inches or so. I want it to look like the rim of the glass extends above the "drink."

Does that make any sense?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for making the "foam," that would be great, too! icon_smile.gif

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 17

I did the beer bottles out of sugar but they were dark so if you want clear you have to use Isomalt. I would do a search for the beer bottles and they can tell you how to make the mold. can you tell me how you did this cake. I am not home or I would send a picture thanks

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 17

A simple sucker recipe might be easier to work with. It would be less brittle then rock candy

Caution Very Hot! Do not let it get on skin, it will stick and burn.

Simple Sucker recipe
3 cups sugar
1-cup white corn syrup
1 2/3 cup water
Food color and flavor as desired

Combine ingredients in saucepan. Heat to 300 degrees F. at medium high temp. If you want to flavor or color it first let it cool to 280 degrees, then stir until blended. Pour into molds that have been sprayed non-stick cooking spray. Lit cool until set.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:59am
post #7 of 17

I made the sugar beer bottle cake shown below. The "ice" is also made from sugar and corn syrup. PM me if you want details or email me at [email protected].
LL

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:13am
post #8 of 17

is there anyway someone could give me the instructions on how to do this cake.. this is really neat!!

mlharvell Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:35am
post #9 of 17

Which one? The Coke cake or the one posted by Jocmom above?

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:07am
post #10 of 17

the coke cake.. i can't see the picture from jocmom

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #11 of 17

Me either, but I'd love to! icon_smile.gif

mlharvell Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #12 of 17

The original coke cake decorator posted instructions in the forum. Here's the link:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=599450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I'm doing mine a little differently, so when I'm done, I'll send instructions to those that are interested. PM me if you would like instructions.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:49am
post #13 of 17

Working with sugar is a pain in the ass and if you have never done it before.. be prepared to swear a lot. Especially if it's humid of you didn't get enough water out of your mixture and it goes all sticky on you. Good luck and I can't wait to see the picture. icon_smile.gif

Another thought could be to use acetate for the look of glass without the hassle of working with hot sugar.

mlharvell Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Another thought could be to use acetate for the look of glass without the hassle of working with hot sugar.

Ooooh! Good idea! Is acetate easy to find or will I need to order it online?

Jocmom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:26am
post #15 of 17

My sugar beer bottle cake picture is in my gallery if you can't see it here in the forum. I'll send directions to anyone that wants them.

And yes . . . working with sugar is a pain in the butt. That stuff is HOT! I think I'm still missing the fingerprint on my left thumb. I spilled some of the boiled sugar mixture and touched it with my bare hand. I invented a couple new swear words that day. tapedshut.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:44am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

I invented a couple new swear words that day.

icon_lol.gif I remember as a child, my grandmother was making little drop candies and she told me.. "DO NOT TOUCH THEM.. they are HOT HOT HOT and will burn you badly." Of course I touched one and my entire fingertip was a GIANT blister that peeled off in a big sheet as it healed.. it was horrid. Hot sugar is very unforgiving.

You might be able to find acetate at the cfraft store. I'd call over and see if they have some. You could use transparency paper (like for an over head projector) in a real pinch.

Jocmom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:59am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Quote:
Quote:

I invented a couple new swear words that day.

icon_lol.gif I remember as a child, my grandmother was making little drop candies and she told me.. "DO NOT TOUCH THEM.. they are HOT HOT HOT and will burn you badly." Of course I touched one and my entire fingertip was a GIANT blister that peeled off in a big sheet as it healed.. it was horrid. Hot sugar is very unforgiving.

My employer has my fingerprints on file for security reasons. I think I should offer to have a new set of prints taken. I'm pretty sure that I altered some of my fingerprints by touching hot sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%