Scarey Moment(Long! I Am Sorry)

Decorating By mymomandmecakes Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm by mymomandmecakes

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 17

Last night (late) i finished a baby shower cake for Boss' sister inlaws shower. I placed it in the back of the truck which is parked right outside my kitchen window. It was nice and cool and I have my daughters dog for the week end. I can't trust her so this was the safest place.

We went to bed late (around 1am) the dog was trying to come into my room where my cats are so I didn't get to sleepwith all the whinning then the barking. I thought my son was coming home when she barked. I got up a few minutes later to warn him not to eat the cake that I have to finish today and thru my kitchen window I see two men rummaging thru my truck!!!!! I get my husband and call the police. I husband scared them away and all they got was my change for the tolls. They went thru both my cars. I have lived here for 22 years and never have I locked my car.
My fault .....but after the police left and I was calming down I remembered the cake in the back!!!!!! PANIC...I run outside to find the cake was ok...never even touched it.....I was a mess.... THank gooodness
they didn't see it or I would have been up all night baking instead of worrying!! All turned out well no harm no foul but what a nite! Just had to share thanks for listening!!!!!

16 replies
Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 17

Thank goodness the cake is okay. Take my change! Just leave the cake!! hahaha

mymomandmecakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 17

my thoughts exactly!!! Just don't know if i will be sleeping tonight!!!!lol
Still have another cake that I need to deliver tomorrow!! Guess I will find a neew place to HIDE this from the darling dog!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 17

so creepy, I live in a small town and I never lock my car doors (though I know I should...I'm just too darned lazy....then when I go out in the morning I gotta get my keys out before I get in and the whole thing).........how scary for you though!!!
Bet you won't forget to lock the door on your house!!!! eek

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 17

ok - have to ask. what you have done if it had rained? seems little odd to leave a cake overnight in the back of a truck.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

ok - have to ask. what you have done if it had rained? seems little odd to leave a cake overnight in the back of a truck.

I was thinking that too! Is it OK to leave a cake outside all night? What about bugs? Even worse, what about racoons?

Regardless, I am glad that you are OK!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 17

Thank God they weren't HUNGRY!

umabdurrahman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umabdurrahman Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 17

the truck has a topper, right?

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 17

I'm glad your cake was/is safe. I can understand the dog issue, I have 2 dogs, 1 at the time of my story, I had a 3 tired wedding cake to do and baked all my cakes, had them set out on the table (un-iced) I had to run out so I covered them all with towels, pushed in the chairs and went. When I removed the towels to start icing the biggest layer had a small dent, I thought I must have done that, when I got to the 10" layer half of it was gone...Thank God I had a extra layer. My dog some how managed to get on the table walk over a 2 layers (only dented one) and eat half of another one. That gave her the new nick name of "Piggly wiggly cake eater". Good Luck with the next ones hidding place.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 17

oh yeah, never thought about it being open........guess I just assumed when she said truck she meant like a suv or something not a pick up that's open in back

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 17

I refer to my Explorer as a truck so maybe that's what she meant...an SUV of sorts

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 17

Your story reminds me of a true story that happened to my friend. She too lived in a small town (I once lived there too, though I can happily report I don't anymore). Anyway, she never locked her car. One morning she got up and got in her car and was backing down her driveway when a man sat up in her backseat. She started screaming at the top of her lungs. Luckily, the guy was harmless. His wife had kicked him out the night before for drinking and he was just trying to find a place to sleep. Scary and funny at the same time!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #13 of 17

OMG cylstrial, I nearly wet my pants laughing at that image!!! Maybe the OP has a pickup with club cab or extended cab?

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #14 of 17

How scary. I'm glad they only got into your vehicle, and not into your house!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #15 of 17

Wow, that is lucky, although I would never be able to leave any kind of food in my car overnight...between snakes, frogs, deer and racoons, it wouldn't survive.

Don't you guys have doors in your house to keep dogs out?

We had a rash of people stealing stuff from garages! Everyone felt it was ok to leave their garage door opened while running around for the day. Not me, I lock everything, even my car is in locked while parked IN the garage!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #16 of 17

i would say the op meant it was locked in the king cab part, the back of an suv, or such...hopefully!

just to let y'all know...the largest percentage, like 85% or something, of break-ins are during the daylight hours, because it's less suspicious when they come to your door or window. many times, they'll know who is out during the day hours because they live nearby...you leave, they come in. my husband has taught me and my 4 yr old both that after the door is opened, it gets automatically deadbolted when closed. i've gotten many strange looks from neighbors when they had to unlock the door just to let themselves back out, but it's better to be safe than sorry, for sure!!

also, never leave the garage door open, even when mowing the grass! guess where that door in your garage leads to...your house, you guessed it!!!!!

another thing: if you do not park your car in the garage, you need to make sure your doors are locked, and preferably your garage door opener is at least hidden somewhere. alot of bad people will just break a window, reach in and open the garage door, and they now have access to your house.

starla

mymomandmecakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm
post #17 of 17

I have a pick up truck with a cap and it locks I have put many things in there for safe keeping. Yes I have doors in my house like a bedroom door that would probably come open with the push of her paws so my best bet was the back of the truck it is sealed no bugs no animals and it was cool and safe...I thought!

I will be locking my car everynight now. I leave at 5 am every morning to go to my job. I am glad it happened on a Friday night or I may have walked into that myself.

also I don't usually have a dog .... I am doggie sitting and couldn't think of any where else that I was sure she couldn't get into it.

LOck em or loose them that is what the next town is doing now If y ou don't lock your car and there is theft or the police find it they ticket you . So to add insult to injury last night I could have lost my change(LOL) and my cake and then gotten a fine ontop of that! LESSON LEARNED! Be careful out there please

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%