Cupcake Dummies??

Decorating By newtocakes Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 1:10pm by newtocakes

newtocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newtocakes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,
I am doing a display for an upcoming bridal show and I am planning on making a cupcake tower. I have found cupcake dummies on line and they are expensive! $20.00 for 24! Since I need at least 60 this is an expensive option. Do you have any ideas for a cheaper version??

Thanks,
Thena

8 replies
Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 9

this is probably a very crazy thought but here goes...

could you make something?

take cupcake papers and use that foam insulation in a can stuff that expands? Spray it in the paper (not a lot, it expands a lot!) and then decorate it like that? I don't think a can is very expensive and you can get it at any hardware store (i think), and if you need other "tools" you're already there icon_wink.gif

just be careful of the fumes, I'd do it outside =)

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 9

Probably cheapest to just bake cupcakes! lol Sorry I'm no help.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 9

that foam stuff sounds like a great idea, wonder if that would work?? I'm thinking of trying to make some too.....I was thinking that salt, flour, water dough...but that could get REALLY heavy on a stand

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 9

The foam stuff is called great stuff. I tried to make my own cake dummy with it and it turned out awful! It was very hard to use and you can only use it once. So you can't stop and go do something and then come back becuase the tube glogs.
What about flower foam balls? You could cut one side so that would be flat maybe? I'm grasping at straws here!
Jen...

rayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rayven Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 9

For displays that I did when I worked at Michaels, we would take stryofoam balls and cut them in half. Put the cupcake paper in a cupcake pan, squirt in some royal icing, put in the half ball and then decorate like you would a regular cupcake.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 9

What about meringue.. You could whip it up and bake it right in the CC papers. It is light as a feather and quite hard when dried/baked. You could color it too.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:56am
post #8 of 9

Newtocakes where did you find the cupcake dummies?

newtocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newtocakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the great tips! I am going to check the cost of each option and see what is the cheapest, and least time consuming!
Shadowgypsie - if you just google cupcake dummies they should come up. I think it was bakers kitchen that had the best price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%