Take The Job Or Not?

Decorating By 3littleangels Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm by Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats

3littleangels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3littleangels Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 13

I have the opportunity to work in a bakery as a cake decorator. Now, I would absolutely love icon_biggrin.gif to take this poistion. However, it pays less than what I currently make and the company does not want to match my current salary (I currently work in an executive office).

I have never worked in an actual bakery setting (which is why they do not want to match my current pay) but I can get the job done. My decorating skills have come a LONGGGGGGG way since I first started out (a long way!). If I decided to take the job I know that I will do so well, beyound well.

Taking the job will allow me to fulfill my passion on a day to day basis (currently I do not decorate on a daily basis) which will increase my speed amongst other things. While also learning the business side of a bakery.

My only reason for not accepting the position is the pay, I truly cannot afford to accept that much of a decrease in salary. I've been trying to weigh the pros and cons of taking this job and do not want to be led by emotions. I WANT THIS SOOOOOOOOO BADLY!!!!!

Am I being unreasonable about the pay, I mean it's only a few dollars, RIGHT?

Can any of you help me? Should I take the job or wait for something else? Please help? icon_confused.gif

12 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 13

Only you can make that decision and I know it is hard but if you did take it and they reailized how much talent you had maybe they would be willing to pay more later. In the mean time maybe just watching your pennies, no eating out, you know small things that can add up. Is there other opportunities in your area? It is a shame we need money to live!!! We should all be able to do what we love. Good luck with your decision.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 13

If you can't afford to work for what they will pay you, then you have answered your own question. Many work at a regular job, and have cake decorating as a hobby or side job.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 13

wait

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 13

I think the "thrill" of working for a bakery will soon wear off and all you will be stuck with is a crummy paycheck!

Take the extra money you make from your executive job and use that to pay for your cake stuff. You know, practice.

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 13

If you cant live off the pay then no. But it's too bad you cant work there part time. Before i had my baby i did hair , and i started out at one of the most upscale salons in town . So i had to start out as a intern so my pay wasnt great , but once i learned the skills and some stuff that only comes with practice . Then i got my own chair and started making some $$$$.
So basically if you can afford it , it could pay off. But if you cant afford it then no.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 13

Well..in these kinda times you have to think practical! If the pay is no way near what you are getting now..the answer is staring you in the face,Bills have to be paid etc..If you have a spouse who is working and can pay the bills.mortgage.groceries etc..then I would say..take the job.At least there is money there to make the payments. We have a saying in our house about almost everything..especially when we have the urge to pull out the Ol credit card and buy something...

Do I want it...Yes..of course!!
Do I NEED it.....most likely No!
Can I afford it...Most times not really!!

That ends the urge real fast!! This would be sorta the same...You want the job but maybe can't afford the less wages so really you don't need it! JMO icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 13

sometimes our emotions over come our ability to think clearly on a situation like this. you've already said you could not afford to loose the other job...so, don't loose it. It sounds like you are only giving yourself two options though? could you possibly work in the bakery part-time? maybe ask them to have you there on a trial basis and say that in some time if they feel your skills are what they need you could re-negotiate the pay?

I think the pro would be that you would be doing something you love...but the con would be that you would not be able to survive with that income...you really wouldn't want to sacrifice that. Do you have other factors? like family, where you live, your type of job is more demanding now? that would hinder the decision as well. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif Good luck!

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 13

Keep your job for now-bakeries do not pay well and rarely give raises.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 13

Big decision! Good, high paying jobs are hard to find. If you quit the office job and the bakery doesnât work out for any reason â then what! Maybe you could see if they would be willing to hire you part time, just a few hours a week. That way instead of taking a pay cut it will just be extra income. Then, after a while if you find you really like it you could consider going full time. Also that will give you more time to prove what you are really worth at the bakery, so you could make enough pay to switch jobs. Good luck icon_wink.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 13

If this is something you would love to do, then maybe some creative budgeting could help you figure it out.
Try making a list of every single expense you have, from the obvious (like car payment, rent, utilities, etc) to the little things we forget to factor in (like take-out food, haircuts, gifts, that "I'm having a crappy day and really need a new pair of shoes" expense).

Are there things you can cut out? Would it be worth it to you to not buy any new clothes of have give up the daily Starbucks run for a year (or more) to take the job?
If the answer is no or you still can't afford to live off the pay even if you cut down on expenses, then I think you either have to see if you can go part-time or turn it down all together.

I'm a believer in that if it's meant to be, it will happen. Just because this one doesn't work out, doesn't mean there won't be another bakery job in your future.

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide!

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 13

Definitely wait. It sound too risky financially. The fact that the bakery wants you shows you have the stuff it takes to be a great decorator. They just won't reward you now. Maybe you can help them out on a one day a week basis that won't affect your current job. Start out small and learn all you can.
Good luck.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy2008

Definitely wait. It sound too risky financially. The fact that the bakery wants you shows you have the stuff it takes to be a great decorator. They just won't reward you now. Maybe you can help them out on a one day a week basis that won't affect your current job. Start out small and learn all you can.
Good luck.

I have to agree with Sandy2008, especially if "3littleangels" meens that you have three little angles counting on you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%