Buttercream Ribbon?

Decorating By txteague Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm by leah_s

txteague Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txteague Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone ever heard of buttercream ribbon? Do you think this is made with rolled buttercream? I saw mention of it on a wedding cake site and wondered what it is. I have a wedding cake in April of 09 that I am planning and have only used fondant ribbon but the bride suggested satin ribbon. The ribbon color is chocolate brown.

Has anyone ever used modeling chocolate to make a ribbon for a cake?

2 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 3

If you want a chocoalte brown ribbon...you could always use chocolate clay for a ribbon.... I doubt that rolled buttercream would work, its too flimsy....unless maybe, you cut out a piece of freezer paper that is the right length and width you'd like the ribbon to be, and then covered it with the buttercream, making sure to go over the edges of the paper...then lift the paper up, and you should get nice edges. Then wrap that around the cake, and peel the freezer paper off... I would imagine this would work, but I've never used RBC.... just an idea. Try it out ahead of time, I'm sure it would work. Maybe someone else will come along and give their advice on it...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 3

There is a local bakery that pipes a buttercream ribbon on their cakes. i really don't think it looks very nice, though. Fondant ribbon is really the way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%