How Do You Store Your Cookie Cutters?

Baking By Jessicafulbright Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 12:00pm by Newatdecorating

Jessicafulbright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessicafulbright Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 18

What do you use to keep them neat and in order?

17 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 18

I store cutters in stacking, plastic pull out drawers from the container store. The drawers are labeled by season/occasion and are also clear so I can see the contents. Each drawer is about 4" high. These are stacked in a hall closet next to the kitchen with other decorating supplies.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 18

Labeled plastic shoe boxes.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:52am
post #4 of 18

I have 2 walls of peg board. I buy the metal hangers that fit in the holes of the board. Similar to a retail store hanging product. I have them in order per hangers, such as christmas, halloween etc, I also hang my candy molds and shaped pans on the wall. You can find the peg board and hangers at Loews or home depot.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:53am
post #5 of 18

neat and in order? icon_confused.gif Now THERE'S an idea!! icon_lol.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

neat and in order? icon_confused.gif Now THERE'S an idea!! icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_smile.gif Oh how i wish!

I do have a big plastic standing drawer container on wheels that i put mine in but it's far from organized. I have so many cutters they all kinda get lost together. It takes me forever to find the cutter i'm looking for. I tried putting them into catagories but when you have lots of them this may take a little time off finding it but it's still a chore.
Love the peg board idea but i doubt DH would like that hanging up in the spare room. icon_sad.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 18

I have several sturdy cardboard boxes that hold one layer each of cutters that I use to store my copper cookies cutters. Each cutter is individually ziploc bagged and then they go into the box by theme. I used the computer to make a label to identify the theme and which specific cutters are in that exact box as I have "Summer 1", "Summer 2", "Summer 3", etc. (You get the idea). I can quickly scan the boxes by theme and pull out the box that has the sailboat if that is the one I need as I know it is in a "Summer" box and the contents of each box is labelled right there on the outside.

For my regular tin-plated cutters or plastic cutters, I have separate plastic storage containers, labelled by theme. As there are so many and all of the themes are contained in one container, there is no way I label all of the individual cutters inside. I do, however, put all tin plated cutters in a ziploc bag. Plastic cutters of the same theme are free to roam their container.

If I have some smaller themed cutters that don't warrant their own container (i.e. - music cutters, dinosaurs, etc.), those are separated into their themes and go in one large, labelled ziploc bag by theme. All of those then go into one large plastic container. This way it is easy to find the small cactus cutter if I need it as all I do is reach in for the "Western" bag and viola, there it is!

Yes, my non-baking friends think I am a bit hyper-organized with my cutters, but I can find them quickly. Also, we tend to move a lot with my husband's job and some areas can be humid. I find that by drying my tin-plated cutters, popping them in a warm oven to completely remove all moisure and then putting them into ziploc bags, I really avoid any rusting and truthfully, the oveall organization really helps me find them quickly (and makes that moving process easier!).

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 18

I don't know if it would apply to cookie cutters or not, but I know that it is recommended that different metals not be kept together. Most of my cutters are the same, so this hasn't been an issue. All my cutters are kept in plastic, flip-top, shoe boxes.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 18

I have them in plastic boxes, roughly organized.

My problem is that I can see too many different things in the same cutter, so I have a picture list on my computer with the different things to use the cutter for (ie: snowman cutter upside-down makes skulls for Halloween ).

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:27am
post #10 of 18

I have mine in 2 of those skinny Rubbermaid pull out drawer cabinets. There are like 4 drawers in each, and I stacked one on top of the other with some good plastic glue. Each drawer has a label and I try to keep them roughly organized. Holiday, basic shapes, Christmas has a drawer all to itself, etc. The hubs actually just suggested that I make some cardboard or foam dividers, by cutting slits in 2 pieces of foam or cardboard to take one drawer and divide it into 4. That might work to sort further in some of my drawers. Separate the Easter from the Halloween, kinda thing.

Just an idea, especially since the drawers I got a Walmart after Christmas were clear and on clearance for $7 apiece.

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:14am
post #11 of 18

Elfa shelving with dividers-- wonderful husband put me up a whole baking wall of that stuff in the laundry room which is right off our kitchen. THere are only about 6 spots, but they are big enough that they hold my 200+ cutters. THey are kind of sorted, but I need more dividers to help break down some big categories.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 18

I love this site!! You all always have such great suggestions for any problem. I was wondering the same thing about how to organize them and the oven drying thing is a great idea! Have a great day!! icon_biggrin.gif

pipercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipercakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #13 of 18

I have oodles of cookie cutters, candy molds and cake pans. I can never remember what all I have and where all it is stored when I begin to conceptualize a new cake or cookie order. I have a full inventory of my materials on my cake website. (PiperCakes.com) This way I can review what I own (which is oh so helpful!) and then track down the cutter or pan I need. I find friends and clients also get a kick out of seeing just how many tools I have too! icon_wink.gif

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #14 of 18

My hubby bought me an inventory program for the computer so I have taken pictures of EVERYTHING I have for the business put it into the program and have it all listed as to where it's stored in what container. All cookie cutters have been categorized and are in bags in tubs and numbered. I picked the color purple to use for my business stuff so it doesn't get mixed in with anything else and all my stuff is organized in it's own place in the basement. My hubby always tells me it looks like a cake supply store down there and doesn't understand when I really need to go to the supply store.

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 18

Kellj, I would love to have that program I have over 400 cookie cutters over 200 candy molds I keep them all in zip bags in the plastic stacking drawers with labels but I still wonder what I have at time and other times I can go straight there and pull it out a inventory program would be great

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:04am
post #16 of 18

The program is Bento for use on the Mac OS X Leopard.

It's a great program and so easy to use. You can set it up the way you want to use it. I also use it for clients and I can put a picture of what they ordered so I can look it up and remember what I did for them.

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:07pm
post #17 of 18

Kellj Thank you I will tell my husband thats what I want for Christmas. Le'Ann

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:00pm
post #18 of 18

I just purchased a Rubbermaid, three drawers with wheels, container. I sorted my cutters into different groups...Halloween, Valentines, Christmas, etc. I measured each one and made a list of all my cutters with measuremnts. Then put them in zip lock bags with a label, on each bag, telling what category they were. Now I can look at my list to see which bag they are in and pull it out. And the measurements are already there for me to figure pricing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%