State Fair Entry

Decorating By TJCanadian Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 12:46am by weirkd

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:13am
post #1 of 7

I entered this in the state fair this weekend, the theme of the contest is Planes, trains, and automobiles. I did my research to make sure this is authentic and accurate. It is a 1934 Chevy 1/2 ton truck, hauling a load of corn. The truck has a detailed interior, with the ratcheting hand brake, gearshift with no boot, the big steering wheel, etc. The cab roof is molded from gumpaste and has poured hard candy windows clear enough to see shapes but not details in the front, back, and driverâs side. The passenger window was left rolled down so you could see the detail inside. The cake is in the engine compartment and the box of the truck as well as the bench seat inside it. The bags of corn in the back of the truck are little pats of chocolate covered in fondant. I would love to have some feedback, and find out HOW to get clearer sugar windows. I used a basic hard candy recipe and poured it into dried fondant window frames on parchment paper, the backs were foggy until I used a butane torch to heat and clear them up some, but still couldn't get them pure and clear. Is it Isomalt? Do I need to pour it on a silicone mat?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1260940

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1260939

6 replies
jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know about the clear windows but your cake is AWESOME!!! Did you win ??

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #3 of 7

GREAT Job!!! Do you know if you won yet??

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:33am
post #4 of 7

Great job!!!

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:34am
post #5 of 7

That is so awsome! I love the detail! Congrats, I'm sure you'll win!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:42am
post #6 of 7

What a wonderful job you did! I hope you get a top placement - that's SO much work putting something like this together.

I like the idea of the windows not being truly clear as you know how old glass gets kind of frosty and cloudy from the aging. Congrats on a job well done!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:46am
post #7 of 7

I would just use gelatin sheets next time. I tried to make diamonds with isolmalt and they always either had bubble or turned yellow. It seemed like the only part that didnt do that were the splatters on the silpat when I stuck it in the oven plain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%