No Liquid Buttermilk Available, Only In Powder Form. Help!

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 10 Dec 2013 , 8:13pm by RMS1

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #1 of 28

its hard to find liquid buttermilk here in our country. the only buttermilk i found is in powder form. does anybody know how to use it in a cake recipe that calls for a liquid form of buttermilk? if the recipe needs a 1 cup liquid buttermilk, how would i use my powder buttermilk? dissolve a 1/2 cup powder buttermilk to a 3/4 cup hot water? hope someone could answer this...

maila

27 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #2 of 28

I use powdered buttermilk and it says on the side what the conversion is.

Mine is Saco brand and it says for 2/3 cup buttermilk to use 2/3 cup of water and 2 1/2 Tblsp powder. For 1 cup, use 1 cup of water and 1 Tblsp of powder. Hope this helps.. icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:17am
post #3 of 28

I have used it for pancakes and find the batter a little thinner than when I use the regular buttermilk. For what I use it for it is 4T of the powder to 1 cup water.

You could also try adding vinager or lemon juice to milk. I don't have the amounts but you may try the search feature on here to see if it has been discussed in the past. I'm pretty sure I have seen another post about powder buttermilk beore.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:27am
post #4 of 28

i've always used the sub for buttermilk for my cakes that call for buttermilk.

here's the directions:

1 cup of milk : 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar.
how i do it is, pour 1 tbsp vinegar into a cup or container, then pour 1 cup of milk, let stand for 10 minutes, you may see a slight curd forming on the surface. there, you have just created a sub for buttermilk. good to be used.

HTH!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:46am
post #5 of 28

i also found the powdered buttermilk to be a little thinner. i use milk and then just add vinegar to it. icon_smile.gif

FLOWERGEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FLOWERGEL Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:49am
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimai16

its hard to find liquid buttermilk here in our country. the only buttermilk i found is in powder form. does anybody know how to use it in a cake recipe that calls for a liquid form of buttermilk? if the recipe needs a 1 cup liquid buttermilk, how would i use my powder buttermilk? dissolve a 1/2 cup powder buttermilk to a 3/4 cup hot water? hope someone could answer this...

maila

HELLO
I HOPE THIS CAN HELP
http://www.thatlittlesomethingspecial.com/Buttermilk%20Recipes.htm

FLOWERGEL

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:57am
post #7 of 28

Well that link that flowergel posted was exactly what I was going to say! I use the Saco brand that others use, too. I actually use whole milk instead of water, just for some added bonus fat in the recipe, since the buttermilk itself is "nonfat." I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea, but I can't stop myself icon_razz.gif

As mentioned in the pp's and the link, each 1/4 c of buttermilk is replaced by 1 TBSP powder+ 1/4c water. There's a conversion chart on their website in case you don't want to have to calculate LOL http://www.sacofoods.com/culteredbuttermilkblend.html And as stated on the links, you just add the powdered stuff in w/your dry ingredients and add the liquid whenever you'd otherwise have added liquid buttermilk. So it's really easy to use and it keeps a long time, so no worries about having the fresh stuff on hand.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of fresh buttermilk!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:28am
post #8 of 28

i just might go back to using the powdered stuff now. since when i buy milk in the carton, i usually... use the rest for breakfast LOL and they're quite expensive nowadays.

powdered it is then icon_smile.gif

maimai16 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:45am
post #9 of 28

@ Michelle104, TexasSugar and mclaren
i thought 1 tbsp vinigar + milk to fill a cup is a substitute for sour milk? icon_confused.gif

@cshell & flowergel
thanks for that site... it is handy to have that on hand thumbs_up.gif

@cupcakeshoppe
liquid buttermilk is quite pricey and hard to find here in manila... icon_lol.gif

another question, does it affect the taste if i only used the powder buttermilk and substitutes like milk with vinigar for sour milk? icon_confused.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:25am
post #10 of 28

i only buy like whole milk and add vinegar. i've never seen actual buttermilk around here too LOL

aileenlnbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aileenlnbh Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:50am
post #11 of 28

hiya i only ever use whole milk with 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice in it. Heat the cup of milk in the microwave until it is handhot and then stir in the juice (fresh or bottle works fine). Let is stand for 10 mins and use as per buttermilk in recipe.

maimai16 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 28

i just read that sour milk is used as substitute for butter milk... http://graveyandrice.blogspot.com/2006/07/buttermilk-vs-sour-milk.html

so if i use the powder based buttermilk, would it change the texture of my cake? icon_confused.gif has anyone noticed the difference between the two on your cakes? icon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 28

i tried powdered buttermilk before and then the buttermilk sub. i didn't notice any difference. but that's just me.

maimai16 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:51pm
post #14 of 28

@cupcakeshoppe
well, its cheaper to use buttermilk sub icon_lol.gif maybe i wont bother to buy the powder anymore icon_biggrin.gif have you used it on other stuff like oven fried buttermilk chicken? hehe i know its not supposed to be asked here but i can''t help it icon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 28

oh no. i only used it for baking.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:50pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimai16

@cupcakeshoppe
well, its cheaper to use buttermilk sub icon_lol.gif maybe i wont bother to buy the powder anymore icon_biggrin.gif have you used it on other stuff like oven fried buttermilk chicken? hehe i know its not supposed to be asked here but i can''t help it icon_biggrin.gif

Haha, no I've never tried it for anything other than cakes or pancakes, but I too can't tell the difference real buttermilk vs powder. Maybe if I did a taste test with the two side by side I'd detect something.

I have definitely read tons of threads here using the lemon or vinegar+milk sub so I say, go with whatever works best! I tried the sub once and didn't think it tasted as "buttermilky" but it totally could have been my mind playing tricks on me.

maimai16 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #17 of 28

hmmm... good to know that cupcakeshoppe... thanks icon_smile.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:01am
post #18 of 28

You could always make your own buttermilk. I don't know how it works with baking, but here's how to make it. You take heavy whipping cream and shake it until butter (a solid ball will form inside) is made, which probably takes about 10 minutes. The liquid left over is buttermilk. Good Luck.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #19 of 28

Powdered buttermilk is all I ever use....it lasts a whole lot longer than the liquid stuff. The directions are on the container as to how to mix it.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:20am
post #20 of 28

Instead of trying to use the powdered buttermilk, why not use 1 tsp of lemon juice with enough milk to make 1 cup; let stand 5 mins & voile' buttermilk icon_lol.gif

osorio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osorio Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:51am
post #21 of 28

I always use powdered buttermilk and I think it works fine for me.

Honey_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey_Cakes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:26am
post #22 of 28

I always make my own:

Lemon juice
Milk

Add one tablespoon of lemon juice to a half cup meassuring cup. Fill the rest of the cup up with milk. Let stand for 5 mintues and there you have buttermilk. Its a cheaper this way as well.

icon_biggrin.gif

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:56pm
post #23 of 28

I prefer the powdered buttermilk because it won't go bad that easily. I have found that when I buy the liquid, if I don't use it all at once, it will go bad. I just add the powder to the dry ingredients, and follow the direction for the amount of water (or sometime, I use milk).

It's very good to keep handy for baking.

Cheers!

Jeannie

maimai16 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:23am
post #24 of 28

@kandu001
do the heavy whipping cream need to be room temp?

@Wendoger
but the one i found is pre-packed. no directions attached icon_sad.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #25 of 28

No it can be cold. Make sure it is liquid whipping cream and not whipped cream for toppings. It tastes good, but I don't know how it bakes up. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:23am
post #26 of 28

I like the powdered buttermilk too because it lasts better than the regular. The directions on my can say to add 4 tablespoons to 1 cup water. So, if my recipe calls for 1 1/2 c. buttermilk, I add 6 T to the dry ingredients and add 1 1/2 c. water. My directions say to add to the dry ingredients rather that mixing it with water first. Hope that makes sense.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #27 of 28

I always make my own. 1 tbs vinegar (white) to 1 cup of milk. You can use lemon juice also.

In a liquid measuring cup, I put in my vinegar, then add my milk to equal 1 cup of liquid. I let it stand 10-20 minutes while I measure out my other ingredients and put them away. Works like a charm! No need to buy special ingredients.

RMS1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RMS1 Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 8:13pm
post #28 of 28

Mix the dry buttermilk with the dry ingredients and add water in the amount needed with the liquid ingredients. Conversion chart here: http://sacofoods.com/products/view/cultured-buttermilk

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%