Wasc Substitutions

Baking By brandi412 Updated 17 Feb 2013 , 7:25am by cmaine

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #61 of 87

I've used both the butter cake and the chocolate version for a long time. If one takes the time to read the whole Wilton forum (it's reallly long and dates back to about 2006, I think) you learn that it's best to use half margarine half butter (the forum explains the chemistry.) They are HUGE hits every time I make either version. MacsMom, I've carved the chocolate cake many, many times from this recipe --I use the coffee variation version so I wonder if that makes it different? I have found baking times vary based on pans so it's hard to nail down exacts. I never have baked them for less than 50 minutes and most of the time go a full hour, but that is in three inch pans. The butter version has a yummy crusting top that is the best part of the whole cake!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:00pm
post #62 of 87

I am sooo sorry! I have no idea why that just posted three times! I only hit "submit" once!

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:09am
post #63 of 87

So what kind of cookie would you suggest for a carrot cake? My hubby asked me to make the cake I will make for us for Halloween to be a carrot cake. Any suggestions?

Thank you for sharing this amazing idea! I cannot wait to try it!

ps.. I also posted this question on the other cookie filling thread in case. I hope to get some yummy ideas!

thanks again!

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:23am
post #64 of 87

Can someone post the WASC recipe?
Win-can you post the coffee butter cake as well? Thanks.

Peet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peet Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:53am
post #65 of 87

Is wasc only made with cakemix? I would love to try it but am living in Europe. No Duncan Hines available..! Please, if someone has a wasc recipe from scratch, I would love to give it a try!

Petra

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:56pm
post #66 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

I'm going to pass on the best recipe I have...It came from Cassandrascakes from the Wilton forum. It doesn't use sour cream (not that I think there is anything wrong with using sour cream in cake). It is the most requested cake I make, for pretty much any occasion:

Butter Cake
2 Duncan Hines butter recipe cake mixes
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 sticks butter
2 2/3 cups water
6 eggs
1 box french vanilla pudding mix (small)
2 tsp baking powder
Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, mix until blended. Add cake mixes, pudding, flour, and baking powder. Blend on low while drizzling in water in a thin stream. Mix until smooth (it doesn't take long), and bake according to directions for your pan size (I bake at 325). It makes 15 1/2 cups of batter.
This has a wonderful flavor and it is very moist with a fine crumb. It stacks beautifully, and freezes great.

This sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

cakecrazy1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy1129 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:09pm
post #67 of 87

I was wondering if anyone knew a variation of the WASC for a strawberry cake?

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #68 of 87

save

CakeChica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChica Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #69 of 87

For Strawberry WASC I used box strawberry mix and substitute the almond extract for strawberry extract. Very yummy. You could also substitute some of the water for strawberry liqueur. I haven't tried this version yet but I am sure it would be delish. I did try a Chocolate Chambord version I got great reviews everyone one loved it.

cakelady48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady48 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #70 of 87

OK,,,,call me dumb but,,what does wasc stand for? What is it? I see this term on here all the time but what is it?
Kathy

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #71 of 87

kathy, it stands for 'white almond sour cream' cake. there are several recipes for it in the recipe section. it's wonderful!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:05am
post #72 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinprincess

So what kind of cookie would you suggest for a carrot cake? My hubby asked me to make the cake I will make for us for Halloween to be a carrot cake. Any suggestions?

Thank you for sharing this amazing idea! I cannot wait to try it!

ps.. I also posted this question on the other cookie filling thread in case. I hope to get some yummy ideas!

thanks again!

I know this is late, but I think a regular sugar cookie would be good for a carrot cake, or if you can flavor it to be a cream cheese flavor sugar cookie that would be good.

If you like a little zing to your carrot cake, try a gingerbread cookie. icon_biggrin.gif I'll bet that would be good with a spice cake with cream cheese icing too.. yummy

I can't wait to try it myself.. hehe

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:15am
post #73 of 87
Quote:

I'm going to pass on the best recipe I have...It came from Cassandrascakes from the Wilton forum. It doesn't use sour cream (not that I think there is anything wrong with using sour cream in cake). It is the most requested cake I make, for pretty much any occasion:

Butter Cake
2 Duncan Hines butter recipe cake mixes
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 sticks butter
2 2/3 cups water
6 eggs
1 box french vanilla pudding mix (small)
2 tsp baking powder
Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, mix until blended. Add cake mixes, pudding, flour, and baking powder. Blend on low while drizzling in water in a thin stream. Mix until smooth (it doesn't take long), and bake according to directions for your pan size (I bake at 325). It makes 15 1/2 cups of batter.
This has a wonderful flavor and it is very moist with a fine crumb. It stacks beautifully, and freezes great.

Does this cake do well for a tierd cake? Also, is it very "vanilla"-y? Could I add some vanilla extract to make it more vanilla-y?

coopette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coopette Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:32pm
post #74 of 87

Wow! you guys your all amazing. It's like one big happy family here. You share so much. There are so many out there (not here in cc land) that do not want to share any recipes, I guess they are afraid someone is going to better then them or something. I'm glad I found this thread since I've got to make something special for DH to bring to Christmas party. (now have the decision of which cake & cookie to make). I should have taken the warning on the home page more seriously!!!!! Thanks for sharing. Charlie

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:28pm
post #75 of 87

I tried the butter cake and found it to be too sweet (and I mean before icing)...I had a few family members agree, we were sampling carved pieces, so I would definitely omit (probably) 1/2 cup next time.

cookiekisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiekisses Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm
post #76 of 87

I made the cake with the cookie inside--I was quite brave and made it for an event, although I never made it before--I heard it was great, but that some people thought the cookie inside was actually cake that was frozen. Did I make the cookie to thick, or not add enough bc on either side? I quess I was hoping it would really soften it up. Again, I was told it was yummy, I just want to be able to perfect it for next time. Thanks!

DaniAlexandria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniAlexandria Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:26am
post #77 of 87
Quote:

Guys I've got to let you know that the best filling I've used in this cake is a sugar cookie that you bake in the same size cake pan you use for the cake and then use any fruit or bc on top and under the cookie for it to "stick" to the cake. A favorite is seedless raspberry preserves. You just spray the cake pan well w/oil and pat the dough in leaving a space all around the edge for expansion, I use the pre packaged cookie mix and 1 env. makes a 10 - 12", or 1/2 envelope for 8 - 9"(and just use the whole egg the recipe calls for...) The cookie softens inside the cake and people just don't know what or how you made this, it's delish!

I was going for the cookie dough cupcakes as a sheet, but I think this will work! Thanks for this!

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm
post #78 of 87

This thread is awesome! I am going to try all of it!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:06pm
post #79 of 87

I just tried the butter cake recipe to make cupcakes, and for me, it's amazing. The problem is that it still has such a classic DH taste (i happen to love DH) and if i try to sell them to pple i know, they will definately recognize the taste. Is there any way to mask it? I added some butter extract and vanilla extract but it wasn't enough.

wilgon1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wilgon1 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:59pm
post #80 of 87

what does wasc mean

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:17am
post #81 of 87

WASC - White Almond Sour Cream

bm162003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bm162003 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:46pm
post #82 of 87

Hi I'm going to try the buttercake one with the cookie tonite what is a good icing to go with it .will it go with a chocolate ganache or a vanilla bc

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:30pm
post #83 of 87

I know this thread is aged but I'm so thrilled to have found it! I cannot wait to try the cookie in the middle! Thanks for all the ideas and sharing from CCers. You're awesome!

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:08pm
post #84 of 87

Will the cookie be crunchy in the middle of the cake? I am thinking about trying it. Has anyone tried the cookie in the middle of a chocolate cake? If so, how was it?

bm162003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bm162003 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 8:35pm
post #85 of 87

Hi well I did it and it is so good I did buttercake with the sugar cookie and seedless raspberry preserves filling and chocolate ganache whip icing .Thank you for a good recipe it a keeper my 3yr. say so. Can wait to do the chocolate one

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:26am
post #86 of 87

I usually make a meringue the same size of the cake and put it between the layers...it makes a fabulous crunch! Same idea as the cookie!

cmaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmaine Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 7:25am
post #87 of 87

AHi All, I am new here...can someone tell me what WACS stands for? I have been searching & can't find it. Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%