Can You Believe Some People!! Long

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 12:55am by Melvira

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 8:41pm
post #31 of 37

I can't believe you did it! Congrats!! Amazing!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 8:44pm
post #32 of 37

I'm not picking a fight with YOU!

You deserve mucho credit for delivering that cake in the gorgeous condition it's in!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 8:49pm
post #33 of 37

Since you are tiny (BUT EVEDINTELY PRETTY TOUGH! icon_smile.gif ) One thing you may consider, our Sam's Club sells food grade carts (NSF RATED) and they are all stainless, a nice cart MIGHT make life a little easier for you? I started using it when I developed numbness in my hands (no doubt for toting heavy cakes!) and almost literally dropped one of my cakes-my arms LITERALLY gave out inches from the table and luckily 1/2 the cake landed on the table, or else it would have been a total loss! Give it some thought! LOL! YOU ARE AWESOME!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 8:54pm
post #34 of 37

yeah I might look into the food cart thing for the future. In this particular instanct I don't think it would have mattered seening as how I still had that first "step" from the ground that was like 3feet high haha

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:34am
post #35 of 37

I have a chocolate fountain the 4 foot tall 150 lb commercial all stainless steel version. THis machine weighs more than I do and my hubby refused to let me move it when I was pregnant 2 years ago. So he cought a hand truck and moved it for me to locations. It is amazing how these halls want you there but absolutely show no thought to what you will need like adequate recepticles (electrical outlets) One outlet on a wall more than 45-50 feet in length from end to end of the room.
No wheel chair access which makes it easier to pull a hand truck up and over the curb from the 150 ft walk from the parking area. No direct access or service entrance for the caterers etc.... A mud/gravel parking lot. In our weather it is mud 9-10 months of the year. Try dragging 150 lbs of stainless through the mud for 150 ft. It is a work out like no other.

I hear your pain and you need to raise prices depending on the reception site. I do and I explain how much work it is because of the sites choices. The brides then suddenly realize that others (florist, decorators, table and chair deliveries etc...) for them might run into some issues as well. You should see the wheels turning in thier already boggled minds. I list it as a delivery or set up fee. a seperate charge altogether. Make it worth your time and EFFORTS.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:48am
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

I hear your pain and you need to raise prices depending on the reception site. I do and I explain how much work it is because of the sites choices. The brides then suddenly realize that others (florist, decorators, table and chair deliveries etc...) for them might run into some issues as well. You should see the wheels turning in thier already boggled minds. I list it as a delivery or set up fee. a seperate charge altogether. Make it worth your time and EFFORTS.

I do the exact same thing. I have a full page that I send with my Introductory Info Pkt that explains this extra labor fee which is a $275 MINIMUM, above and beyond normal fees and costs. As I tell brides, "If you decide to have your reception in a stupid place that causes more work for everyone else ... then you're going to pay for it."

I even have a couple of places on my "No way am I ever catering there again" list. And it's just the type of stuff you listed..... no parking close to the kitchen, gravel driveways, stairs and no ramps. You think moving one chocolate fountain is rough .... try unloading a FULL VAN of heavy equipment and you're under a time crunch because part of the load is food for 200 that you need to keep at a food safe temp! One place had us park at the bottom of a hill and we had to carry everything uphill about 100 yards! Never. Never. Never again will I step foot in that "exclusive club"!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

One place had us park at the bottom of a hill and we had to carry everything uphill about 100 yards! Never. Never. Never again will I step foot in that "exclusive club"!!

Wow, that IS pretty exclusive... you can hardly GET to it!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%