Sheet Cake For Barn Project: Will Cake Dry Out & Other Q

Decorating By caker123 Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 2:53am by JanH

caker123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caker123 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hello CC...I'm a total newbie here, just learning about caking. I am a cupcaker at heart, but recently have had people ask me to do cakes. So this is my 2nd one...I have been reading the forum voraciously but I have a few questions I am hoping you can help me with.

I made two layers of a 12x18 red velvet cake, which I will cut into a barn shape, frost and decorate for delivery late Saturday morning. I figured I would just do the cutting/decorating etc on Saturday morning because the gal requested cream cheese frosting so it has to be refrigerated.

I made the cake late Wed night and wrapped it in wax paper, saran wrap and alum foil and put it in a cool dry place. It seems to be fine (checked this morning)!

I would LIKE to work on the cake tonite because I have the most time, and can fix any mistakes that don't do the way I plan...but if I crumb coat and frost it pretty thickly, and put it in the fridge overnight, will it dry it out? I am paranoid about putting items in the fridge due to dry cake syndrome. But am hoping with crumb coat and frosting, it will stay moist...help?

Then I can just add the finishing touches (barn door, window, letters etC) tomorow morning and cut my stress level in 1/2.

Also random Q, but I made two thinner cake layers which I will layer/torte with cream cheese, should I do this while they are still 12x18 and then cut the barn shape OR cut the cakes before then layer and fit the shapes together? I would imagine torte/layer then cut, but figured I'd ask.

Any tips for cutting the barn shape symetrically? I have a shape I am going to try to follow from the party invitation but worry about symmetry. The cake board is 10x14 so I would like to fill it since the cake is larger obviously, I thought about getting a legal size paper and folding it half, tracing on it and cutting it, then doing the same with parchment paper to lay over the cake and cut around.

Last question...(for now!), I made white chocolate transfers for the barn door and window and letters which I will put on tomorrow morning. Will the chocolate melt into the cream cheese frosting or sweat?? I have not put white chocolate onto cream cheese before, but wondering if the frosting will soft and melt it. Any help/suggestions?

Thanks, this forum and you members have been lurkishly invaluable so far!!

4 replies
taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:01am
post #2 of 5

The cake should be fine in the fridge as long as it's crumb coated. It shouldn't dry out.

Sorry I can't really help you on your other questions.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:24am
post #3 of 5

your probably finished with your cake by now, but only heat will melt or soften your CT.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:24am
post #4 of 5

I crumb coat, doesn't dry them out but I also use a simple syrup. I use thick but bendable paper templates for the carved designs. I torte, layer, then carve. I once used chocolate on cold BC and it cracked. White chocolate on CC icing may not.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:53am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%