Help On Fondant Tree

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 5:39pm by lorrieg

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 3

I have a cake due in 3 days, and I am making the fondant figurines for it today. I am stumped how to make the fondant evergreen trees! I tried Annie2's tutorial, but cant get it to look as nice as she does with my scissors (one of the tips is broken off slightly on my scissors). This cake order customer is VERY picky, and I need help in figuring out how to make a fondant tree similar to this one...

Do I cut several "star" shapes out, then thread them into a skewer/toothpick? Do I make one solid cone then add each individual "leaf" on it?

Anybody have any ideas which is easiest? Please help! TIA!
LL

2 replies
Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 3

To be honest, those trees don't look like they are made out of fondant. From the picture it looks like they might be made out of royal icing. I would make a solid cone and pipe individual leaves from the bottom to the top. I have use the mini ice cream cones to do this and it worked out well. HTH

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 3

I agree they look like royal icing. If you don't want to make royal icing you could make small cones out of fondant/gumpaste and cut out tiny leaves and paste them to the cones or use your scissors to make V cuts into the fondant all the way around the tree in random layers. If you snip at a horizontal angle or maybe even 45 degrees you would get nice pointy branches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%