Freezing Cakes

Decorating By kaabruur19 Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm by tyty

kaabruur19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaabruur19 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 11

Im making a cake for my daughters birthday on sunday, and i want to make it as easy as possible as im working all week. I want to bake the cakes tomorrow and freeze them, but i want to know the BEST way to do it so they wont be soggy or hard. If someone could kindly give me directions on how/what to wrap them, how to defrost/how long, that would be great!

10 replies
arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 11

You will get a lot of varying answers to this question I bet. You can also go back and look through previous posts on the subject and get some help as well.

When I have to bake in advance I bake, let cakes sit for 10 minutes, remove from pan, let cool to room temp, then wrap in two or three layers of plastic wrap, then put in the freezer. The night before I need them I pull them out and let them sit overnight to thaw so that they are again at room temp when I use them.

This seems to eliminate any air being trapped between the cake and icing, which is something I had a problem w/ in the past when I was icing the cakes while still very cold.

Just my way of doing it, not right or wrong. Good luck!

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 11

Double wrap in saran wrap and then put them in ziplock bags (if they'll fit). Otherwise, I would triple wrap in saran and then maybe aluminum foil.

When you pull them out of the freezer, keep them sealed up until they are completely thawed. If you unwarp them while frozen, the condensation will from on the cakes (instead of the plastic wrap) and make the outside soggy. I've baked ahead on my last few cakes and had no issues. icon_wink.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 11

That's exactly how I do it with the exception of leveling them prior to wrapping and it works great!! If I'm going to be filling the cakes with BC only, I level, fill, and then wrap and freeze--works great as well!

arosstx Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 11

Oops! Forget to add that I do level the cake layers first before wrapping. Sorry 'bout that.

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 11

got a question, how about cupcakes? can i freeze them too? how would i wrap them? individually? and if the cake/cupcakes are in the freezer, aren't they smell like chicken or anything that sit beside it? how long can i freeze them?

sorry for piling the questions up... just need some inputs b/c holiday season is fast approaching... got to make myself ready icon_biggrin.gif

arosstx Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 11

All the stuff in my freezer is wrapped really well, so no smells here. As for cupcakes, I put them together on a cake board and wrap them about 3 times in plastic wrap. They come out fine and it's ok to ice them while cold or even frozen cuz they thaw so fast.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 11

One thing not mention is to keep a box of baking soda or inactive charcol (bought at pet stores) to absorbs any food smell. You may not smell it at the time but it can get into the cake/cupcakes/cookies.

I wrap my cakes twice in sran wrap never had any problems.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 11

You definitely want to level before you freeze.

I do exactly what everyone else said, but I like to crumb coat mine while they are still frozen. Then I let them sit until they have thawed, and the frosting has crusted (about an hour or so, depending on the size of the cake), and then I frost them. I make sure I seal them completely with the crumb coat so that the cake stays moist, and I always get compliments on how moist my cakes are.

I have never had an issue with air being trapped between the cake and the frosting.

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 11

I do like the others. Level, double/trip saran wrap. Put flat in the freezer. Take out the night before I need to decorate. Leave wrapped in saran wrap till I get ready to decorate. I think this actually makes the cakes a lot more moist!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 11

For cupcakes I use the clam shell containers like they have at the supermarket. Un-iced cupcakes can be stacked on top of one another. Fill the bottom with 1 dozen cc, then put a layer of saran wrap over them, then stack another dozen on top. Wrap the entire container in saran wrap, and place in a zip-loc bag and place in freezer. Placing 24 per container also saved space in my freezer.

I did a wedding tower of 216 cc. I baked all my cc and put them in the freezer. I brushed them with a little simple syrup before icing, and they were delicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%