Rubber Stamps

Decorating By aandecakedesign Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 5:01pm by sweetstampen

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:26pm
post #61 of 70

Honestly it should be enough for us that that if a product is made for one thing that it may not be suitable for something else and we should contact the company and find out.
You don't need proof that something isn't usable-that's not when you need the proof... you need proof that a product made for crafts or another use that does not state food safe is also food safe and can be used with or in the production of food.

sweetstampen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetstampen Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:29pm
post #62 of 70

The one thing I've learned teaching this technique over and over and over for the last decade plus is... people are going to do whatever they are going to do. You can share your experience & hard won knowledge and at the end of the day there are always those willing to take shortcuts.

At the end of MY day, I pray that these people (I'm not using the first word that pops into my head here) don't sue me because of their own willingness to take risks with their health as well as the health of their own families and customers.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:44pm
post #63 of 70

I don't want to start a war but I use a clear stamp on my food and after reading this debate about stamps I contacted the company that make most of the stamps I use and this is the reply I got

Cured photopolymer stamps carry no health risk (we have not tested for FDA compliance or food compatibility). They contain no latex, phthalates, melamine, carcinogens or toxic or harmful compounds.

On the grounds of the this reply I will continue to use my stamps on my cakes and cookies (as I am not selling them to anyone). We all consume things that probably does not do us any good, ie alchole, caffeen and the likes.
But I would be interested in seeing any reports as to what makes sweetstampens products any different as I could not find anything on the website that says what they are made from. ( I do have some of your stamps given as a gift from a friend).

sweetstampen Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #64 of 70

Yes but it is a polymer - a plastic. Not all plastics are food grade and these most certainly aren't.

That's one of the reasons HGTV had a hissy fit anytime we used polymer clay anywhere near something food related.

Our rubber stamps are made from a food grade rubber...it's all over our website.

rainbow_kisses Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 8:56pm
post #65 of 70

yes I know it says food grade rubber but you don't specify what are in the rubbers. The old style stamps were made from rubber but they certainly were not food safe.Not all polymers are toxic when in contact with food, I know polymer clay is but it has other ingredients in it.

sweetstampen Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:09pm
post #66 of 70

Right - it is a trade secret. Why should I readily volunteer what took us years of research and cost us hundreds of thousand of dollars? If you want to manufacture food safe rubber, do the same research.

I hear what you are saying about polymers but with my personal history, there would be no freaking way I would want it near my food.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:35pm
post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrummymummy

yes I know it says food grade rubber but you don't specify what are in the rubbers. The old style stamps were made from rubber but they certainly were not food safe.Not all polymers are toxic when in contact with food, I know polymer clay is but it has other ingredients in it.

My polymer clay says "non toxic", the Fimo kind. Sculpey doesn't, just FYI.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #68 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetstampen

Right - it is a trade secret. Why should I readily volunteer what took us years of research and cost us hundreds of thousand of dollars? If you want to manufacture food safe rubber, do the same research.

I hear what you are saying about polymers but with my personal history, there would be no freaking way I would want it near my food.

I think the reason is because you are selling something based on it's "food safe" properties yet condeming others, but you won't tell people what it's made of? I don't mean any disrespect but that is the type of thing that says to me it's not any different. People aren't not trying to make their own food safe rubber stamps they are only trying to find out why your's is food safe and other's aren't and not because you say so. The thought is what IS it that makes yours different. Is it the process that doesn't have XYZ or is it the properties that do have XYZ.

I sleep every night on a 100% rubber mattress and have for 30 years. It's called talalay, I believe that's how it's spelled and all my research showed that natural rubber is very safe and non toxic (unless you have a allergy to latex) and it's anti-microbial. Dust mites can't live in it and it is promoted as the best for babies. It's very europeon, not so much here in the US.

Again I am not trying to cause any issues just stating that, for me, it has to be backed up with proof if it doesn't make sense to me, and it doesn't.

rainbow_kisses Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:58pm
post #69 of 70

Even if it is a trade secret, you can still indicate why it is so foodsafe and different to everyother stamp on the market.
I have mailed the company to whome providede me with my previous quote and they have said that if the market was bigger for said items to be food safe they would look into having it endorsed but as yet they have not had to do so and still feel it is save to use as a sugarpaste/fondant stamp as there would be no real transfer from the stamp. If you were using foodcolouring as ink and washing and steralizing it often. The only thing they point out it that with photopolymer the life expectancy of it would be reduced faster than rubber. They are confident that it would not cause any life threatening illness or foodpoisoning.

sweetstampen Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:01pm
post #70 of 70

Once again, WE use a FOOD GRADE rubber that cost us thousands upon thousands to research.

Do whatever you wish, just don't sue ME when someone gets sick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%