Thank You Card Slotted In With Cookie???

Baking By maryak Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 12:40pm by TracyLH

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:21am
post #1 of 17

This is my first big cookie order. The bride has asked for 300 cookies which will be her wedding favors and now she's asking if she gets thank you cards slotted in with them. Just wondering if anyone's done this before and what kind of cards you'd slot in? Also, would you charge extra for the cards?

TIA
Mary

16 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:21am
post #2 of 17

I'm not sure what she means by "slotted in." You could tie the card onto the bag with ribbon like these:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1246911
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1256122
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-7919480820973/flower-cookies-white.JPG
http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/kc_images/ib_wedding_favor_01.jpg

Or staple a card onto the bag like these:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1250509
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1242972

Definitely charge more!!! You'll have to buy the ribbon and cards. Plus, it takes a lot of time and effort to place a cookie in the bag and tie with ribbon. Might not seem like much, until you have to do it -- 300 times (plus extra for breakage)!! I'm a hobbyist (I did do 200 cookies for my sister's wedding) so I don't charge; can't help you with price. But I'm sure one of the other ladies will jump in about that.

There will also be the added expense of a cake box to transport them:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-599465.html

HTH!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:51am
post #3 of 17

Is she wanting a "thank you for coming to the wedding" card with the 300 cookies? Well certainly you would charge extra for them! Are the 300 cookie favors being packaged individually? That's a lot of work, bagging and tying. You should charge for every separate aspect of the order. Each step is time consuming, not to mention the materials used.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:21am
post #4 of 17

Also you are going to have to put something in between the cookie and the card because the fat in the cookie will spot the envelope or card....

Just lay one of your cookies on a piece of paper for a few hours and watch what happens. i know it will spot with mine, but maybe yours will be different.

YES, charge more, it is time consumimg enough to bag 300 cookies.

that is going to take forever.

Julia

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 17

Can you just use a sticker? I've used clear as well as colored oval ones that said:
Thank you for being a special part of our day, and then the bride and grooms name, and sometimes the wedding date. It was easy to just stick them on the bag.
I'm sure you could make them more elaborate, but this might be a more time saving as well as money saving option.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 17

"SLOTTED" ? That sounds like she wants some type of cookie that has a built in slot to "SLIDE" a card into it.......hummmm.......

maryak Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 17

Thank you all. I think she wants the thank you card put in the bag with the cookie. The sticker idea is brilliant. It'll definately make life a whole lot easier!!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:29am
post #8 of 17

Absolutely, most assuredly charge more for the cards! That is time, paper, ink, ribbon and then back to time. If it one saying all the same, you can tie it on with a coodinating ribbon or attach as a foldover on top. I use double-sided sticky tape when I do that to avoid staples. If I didn't explain it well, you can look at the baby onesies with the foldover in my pics, you will see what I mean.

But... no matter what, charge more for the tags/cards and heed the warning given by acookieobsession if she is thinking to have any kind of a note next to the cookie itself. Most definite butter stain disaster!

All that aside, congrats on your order!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

I use double-sided sticky tape when I do that to avoid staples.

Now there's a "why didn't I think of that" moment! I hate the staples, too, and never gave a thought to that roll of double-sided tape in the closet. Thanks so much for the tip!

TracyLH Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 17

No problem, GeminiRJ! All of the tips that we share just help one another! Another thought is to do the fold-over and then do two hole punches and run a coordinating ribbon through. I just have been going for the faster 'double sticky tape' idea lately, but I do like how that looks.

maryak Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #11 of 17

Thank you all so much. She replied back to me after I quoted her and this was her email:

"Sorry Mary I didn't explain myself properly. I have thank you notes from my photographer and I will punch holes in them but just need then tied onto the cookie when you are packaging them rather than us opening up the string and tying them up again."

I couldn't believe it!! So now there's all this extra work that I'll be doing for nothing! I had no idea how to tell her that there's a charge for the work after I'd quoted her for actually making the thank you cards. Lesson learned I guess (very big lesson actually). I have no idea how I would have charged this woman just to put them through the ribbon or if I could have actually charged in the first place.

Honeydukes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:16am
post #12 of 17

You still have to thread them through the holes in the cards. More work for you. Maybe charge a set price, say $25 or whatever, for doing it. If she doesn't want to have to untie and then re-tie she can pay you. Trust me, tying those things on is a tedious job. But it is, of course, up to you. icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:47pm
post #13 of 17

I guess I am a bit confused (up too late cookie-ing), but regardless of any quote you gave her to make the thankyou cards, the bottom line is that tying on her thankyous may not require supplies on your part, but they do take time. Time is money, as they say. You are doing... 300. Nothing to sneeze at. I agree with Honeydukes to give a set price, or figure out how much per thankyou or give her the option to tie them on herself with another thin ribbon if she does not wish to untie yours. It is ludicious for her to expect you to do that. I sincerely doubt any bakery would do that without an additional fee. Just my thoughts, of course.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:48am
post #14 of 17

Or, have her cut the ribbons, and thread the cards through, and provide them. Then you just tie on. That seems like it would not "cost" more time, and still let you live with the quote...hth

Honeydukes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:45am
post #15 of 17

That's an excellent suggestion.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:26pm
post #16 of 17

thank you icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:40pm
post #17 of 17

That last suggestion was excellent! I am afraid my take on it was a bit much. I was confused about a quote to make cards, which is not happening. I just didn't want to see you get zinged. Johnson6ofus has a solution. Hope it works out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%