My Tutorial For Cupcake Bouquets

Decorating By mixinvixen Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 1:46am by scnix

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 30

we just moved, and i wanted to get my name out to my neighbors, while also taking the opportunity to introduce my family. i thought that cupcake bouquets were pretty simple and would make a good candidate. i had never done one, but through trial and error, i found a process that worked great! i made it up as i went, and it turned out pretty easy (and successful) in the long run! hope this helps...

supplies needed, not shown in first picture:

**buckets or clay pots of your choice.

**small plastic portion cups in the pictures, which can be purchased from sams, costco, or gfs. i used the larger cup (5 oz) for my tallest cupcake, and 2 1/2 oz cups for the other 5.

**bag of pea gravel, purchased from a garden center like lowes or home depot, or you can use styrofoam packing peanuts.

** foam board circles, cut out to the proportions of the bucket about an inch or two down.

**hot glue gun and extra glue sticks

you will also need the following items, shown in picture:
green tissue paper, scissors, dowel rods, cutter for dowels, screwdriver to make holes, small knife to cut holes in bottom of cupcakes.

fill buckets to at least half way with gravel or packing peanuts. next, cut out foam circles, and hot glue them into place. this will help stabalize the dowels

start by using screwdriver to place hole in center of foam. stick dowel in, place portion cup down over it, and then trim so you will only have approximately an inch or so sticking up.

since i was doing a total of 3 flavors, 2 cupcakes each, i made 5 additional holes around, sliding the smaller portion cups down at an angle and trimming the dowel. make sure to trim those lower than your middle dowel, to give you the stacked effect.

place small rectangles of tissue paper, twisted in the middle to form two "leaves", behind each portion cup to hide the cupcake liner.

take your knife and twist a hole into the bottom of the cupcake liner, off center, so you can angle your cupcake outwards, once it's on the dowel. i started doing this halfway through, and really liked it better than sitting straight up. complete your bottom tier, doing this process one by one.

twist a hole into your top cupcake, this time dead center. slide it down the dowel.

make small triangles with your tissue paper, and form these into leaves by bringing two corners together and twisting...then place those in random spots to help cover the cupcake liners. i also added a bit larger pieces between each of the bottom tier cupcakes to cover up the spaces.

add a bow, and you're done!!

one done in plastic "clay" pots

in total, i did 24 bouquets for a total of approximately $125.

hope this helps!

29 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 30

Great information! Thanks for sharing.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 30

Very nice method.

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:34am
post #4 of 30

Thank you so much for sharing!!

YALANTZI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YALANTZI Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:21am
post #5 of 30

Thanks for sharing, your bouquets turned out great.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:25am
post #6 of 30

great tutorial! Thanks!!

covered-in-sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
covered-in-sugar Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:34am
post #7 of 30

Wow! Thanks for the tutorial! I have wondered how they made the cuppy cakes into a bouquet....? Well, now I know! So cool!! Thanks again!

Yours look beautiful and yummy! Nice job!

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 30

Thanks for sharing, I always wondered how to keep the cupcakes from falling, and know I know icon_razz.gif

THANK YOU!!! and they look awesome.

kaytec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytec Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 30

Thank youfor sharing.
Your bouquets are beautiful!

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:48am
post #10 of 30

AWESOME PICTORIAL!!!

I am a visual person. Now I finally get it.

Thanks so much.

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:49am
post #11 of 30

Great idea for constructing the bouquets. Thanks for sharing!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #12 of 30

Thanks for sharing your method! Very cool!

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 30

thank you so much thumbs_up.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 30

Just curious..does the tissue paper pick up the grease from the buttercream? It looks like the paper touches it in some spots.

mixinvixen Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm
post #15 of 30

not really...i waited until the cupcakes were pretty crusted before working with them. i also tried to finish them right before delivering, so they didn't sit around for a long time. a few of my neighbors weren't home when i initially tried delivering though, one even took 2 days, and they still looked great!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #16 of 30

What a fantastic idea! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #17 of 30

Thanks so much for sharing! I am so gonna try this!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Would it be possible to expand it to do a whole dozen and if so how, do you think? icon_confused.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #18 of 30

Thanks for the response. I'm gonna have to give this a try.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:09am
post #19 of 30

Wow. why can't I be your neighbor?! hehehe.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:57pm
post #20 of 30

this is a great method! i don't have to buy styrofoam ball. i am so happy! Thanks!

mixinvixen Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:34pm
post #21 of 30

sorry, for some reason, i stopped getting notified when i had a reply on this thread.

i ran out of styrofoam packing peanuts after about 8 of my buckets, but if i'd had enough, i would have just stuck with them. i went and bought a bag of pea gravel,w hich was an inexpensive alternative, but it also made the buckets heavier ($4 for a huge bag)...the peanuts, though, are free!!!!!!

we had just moved, and had alot of the peanuts. i have since started saving the peanuts from every package that is shipped to us, and just put it in a large trash can...next time i do the bouquets, i'll just use some from my supply. i filled the buckets up about 4" or so, which gives the dowel rods something to sink into in, but what really stabalizes the dowels is the foamcore circle i hotglued in to the top of the bucket.

i really don't see any reason why you can't make this as large as you wanted...i've had the thought myself to get one of those huge flowerpots or baskets and just go to town sticking cupcakes in, using this same method. i think it would be especially beautiful for weddings and large parties.

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:52pm
post #22 of 30

Thanks so much! I have to give it a try.

Kara

CakeChica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChica Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:39am
post #23 of 30

Wow cute idea I will keep this one in mind for sure.

Taleesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleesa Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:06pm
post #24 of 30

thanks for posting this--i've used a different method--now i'll have to try this!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:10pm
post #25 of 30

Those are so cute!! And really great pictures and instructions! Thanks.. I know I've been wanting to make some! And the cupcakes were adorable as well!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:14pm
post #26 of 30

Quick question -- is that a little piece of chocolate on the peach cupcake? The kind that you melt from Michael's?

Thanks!!

mixinvixen Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm
post #27 of 30

hi guys...thanks so much for all the awesome compliments! i'm glad the tutorial is helping so many people!

the chocolate i used is merkens, but you could use a candy melt from wilton also. i used it in a pinch, but really was happy with it in the end!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:18am
post #28 of 30

What would you charge for one of these bouquet "buckets"? Just a ball park figure, as I know each area is different.

mixinvixen Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:22am
post #29 of 30

in my area, i would no charge no less than $40 for the 6 cupcakes, delivered.

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:46am
post #30 of 30

maybe I can try this, this weekend. With mum flowers and then pointsetta's for christmas. Awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%