Need Help Adding Fog To A Birthday Cake

Decorating By wkimsey Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 1:58am by mandm78

wkimsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wkimsey Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:31am
post #1 of 23

I am making a 50th B-Day cake that is a graveyard...the client wants fog added to the cake...any suggestions?

22 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 23

My first thought would be cotton candy, but it would have to be put on at the last moment. I used it once for a gingerbread house, but it absorbed moisture from the air and got sticky and melty within about an hour.

I made a car with smoking tires out of BC. It's in my pictures.

Jessica176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica176 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 23

I like the cotton candy idea. Or maybe dry ice? I don't know about it being on the cake, but I'm sure you could have some holes cut in the cake for a couple of well placed shot glasses? And then a bit of dry ice? I don't know how much it costs though, or how long it lasts. Just a thought anyway.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 23

I was with the dry ice thought. Maybe raise your cake board. Place your dry ice undernealth in some kind of container. Possibly a small tube in the center of the cake that the fog could flow through and the the rest would hit the board and flow out to the sides. (In my fantasy world this would go off without a hitch. In reality??????) lol

But that is what I would try.

Good Luck

Lu

wkimsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wkimsey Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 23

One of the ideas that was tossed around was a fog machine...in my mind a hole would be in the back of the cake and a hose ran up through the cake attached to the fog machine...any thoughts?

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 23

Welcome to CC wkimsey
I think a fog machine works by using dry ice. Check and see if it's alright to have that around food. If not I would go with the cotton candy idea.

Jibbies

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 23

Dry ice would be cheaper than a fog machine I would think. Just make your cake board a lot larger than the cake and put wholes in the back of the board. Then you could put the dry ice behind the cake and dequise it somehow. The fog would then come up out of the wholes. (maybe? LOL)
To bad you can't ask Duff. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

Dry ice would be cheaper than a fog machine I would think. To bad you can't ask Duff. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

I would also go with the dry ice. It's a cool idea if you could figure out how to pull it off.
Maybe you can't ask Duff but I know Doug could come up with something for this. Where is he when you need him?

mellormom Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 23

Just PM him LOL I would do it but I don't know his screen name. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm
post #10 of 23

what..he's a cc member?

mellormom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:00am
post #11 of 23

Duff is not a member. I was joking. Doug is a cc member who usually knows answers to questions like this.
Jen...

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

Duff is not a member. I was joking. Doug is a cc member who usually knows answers to questions like this.
Jen...

hehe somebody at Charm City Cakes comes on here, they have mentioned CC before

Jibbies

how-sweet-it-is Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
how-sweet-it-is Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:30am
post #13 of 23

i would say dry ice .100% it works wonders.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #14 of 23

that's pretty cool... I know by looking through the pics that there are some extremely talented bakers and decorators on here... if they aren't already a celebrity I sure think their work screams for it! (sorry op it's ot)

flbeachbummom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flbeachbummom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:43am
post #15 of 23

I'd suggest dry ice as everyone did. We use it at Halloween. You might could get it gray by adding black food coloring to the water. Fog machines do not use dry ice. They use a liquid. I just looked at the back of ours and it has a poison, allergy alert on it, so I wouldn't recommend it.

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #16 of 23

Could you hollow out a place put the container in it with the dry ice and then decorate around it like it is an open grave?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #17 of 23

I'd do the dry ice. May be a great use for your old Wilton fountain flower ring!

And I know that you cant color it. We tried adding it directly to a bowl of red liquid food coloring for my DS's science fair project and it didn't do a thing.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:56am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by flbeachbummom

I just looked at the back of ours and it has a poison, allergy alert on it, so I wouldn't recommend it.

It can trigger asthma. I don't know if this is a party for kids or not, but even adults can have asthma.

As for the cotton candy, I had a bad experience using it on a volcano cake where it came in contact with moisture, and got soggy.

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:12am
post #19 of 23

i have seen duffs cake and he did one for the kung fu panda premier and he used a fog machine ( don't know how sae is that) but i would think that dry ice is fine

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #21 of 23

Where would one get dry ice?

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:44am
post #22 of 23

A lot of grocery stores will sell dry ice. My Basha's does here.

mandm78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandm78 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #23 of 23

I'm not sure about any ideas to create the look of fog except to use dry ice. You just have to be very careful with it. It will burn your skin like having a second/third degree burn. You don't want to inhale the fog or put it in your mouth. It will also make whistling sounds if put on anything metal. It doesn't last too long either. I would buy it right before you need it...it evaporates very quickly. Putting it in freezer doesn't make it last any longer....it will actually evaporate faster. We would put it in an igloo (styrofoam one) and then place alot of newspaper or some towels to take up the air space. Dry ice is a gas and air is it's enemy. It does create alot of smoke when it comes in contact with water. You may need to buy double amount. My husband used to work for a dry ice company and it can be very dangerous if not handled correctly. He had very thick gloves that he used in order to handle. I would use something like pot holders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%