How Do You Make An "elegant" Birds Nest?

Decorating By Reedsmomma Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm by Reedsmomma

Reedsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reedsmomma Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 13

I am making a cake for my friends jewelry party next week. She's debuting her ne jewelry line called "The Treasured Nest". I would love to make some type of birds nest for the top of the cake. I would love to do spun sugar because I think it's beautiful. Two reasons why I hesitate - I've never done it before and I'm afraid the humidity (I live in Texas) will make it melt. Can anyone give me some ideas on my to make a nest? Another medium besides sugar maybe? I want a really pretty, elegant looking "nest" if that makes sense... Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

12 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #2 of 13

Can you make one out of strands of gumpaste woven into a nest?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #3 of 13
delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:19am
post #4 of 13

http://www.jollybebakery.com/painted.html There's a bird's nest on this site.

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:49am
post #6 of 13

How about this. A birds nest using those chinese noodles that are white and look like birds nests, filled with or surrounded by edible jewels.

Jibbies

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:54am
post #7 of 13
Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 7:05am
post #8 of 13

I immediately thought of this one, which delicious_designs7 linked to. I had come across it, too.

I think you could use chocolate candy melts. You could lightly grease the outside of a small bowl. Then melt some dark chocolate candy melts and make crosshatch marks around the bowl. You would probably need to layer them in order to build up the "nest". Once you've built it up enough and it has hardened, pop it off of the bowl and Voila! You've got a chocolate nest!

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 7:55am
post #9 of 13

delicious_design, you are so good at researching!!

Reedsmomma Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you all so much for your help...I've gotten a lot o good ideas and I think I'll be able to come up with something great!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 13

Love all the inspirations on this thread - have you thought of making it with Chocolate Candy Clay (maybe even using white chocolate)?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 13

if you can get kataifi at your supermarket (frozen shredded phyllo dough) it naturally looks JUST like a nest... you could bake it and sprinkle it with colored sugar.... it would look very nice.

Reedsmomma Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm
post #13 of 13

I just wanted to thank you again for all your help. We started out planning the party in a chocolate brown, green and blue color scheme and were going to ave more of an elegant look. After talking to my friend, she wanted to do the party in her business colors of hot pink, turquoise and green. The cakes ended up being in those colors - check my photos if you'd like to see them. I tried to make an edible nest out of three different things and none of them worked...it's been raining for 3 1/2 straight days here and the humidity had been wreaking havoc on me! Anyhow, I just placed 3 birds nests on top of the cakes and they ended up being just fine. Thanks again for all the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%