Candy Clay - Did I Do Something Wrong?

Decorating By SaraM Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm by Lady_Phoenix

SaraM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraM Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 6

I attempted to make candy clay last night. I melted wilton candy melts according to the directions, removed from heat, then added 1/3 cup of light corn syrup and stirred it in. I poured it into a wax paper lined pan and spread it out to cool. At this point it almost looked as if the corn syrup was sitting on top. I wrapped it up and let it harden overnight.

This morning I pulled some off to try to make a rose/ribbon roses, it had hardened, but still seemed softer than I would have expected (and it seemed softer than it appeared on a youtube video I watched). When I was kneading it, I came across a few very small peices of the candy that may have not melted all the way, but they seemed to knead in smoothly. I was able to make some ribbon roses and a decent rose, but it didn't seem quite right.

Is this how candy clay is or did I do somthing wrong?

Thanks!

5 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 6

That's how it is supposed to be.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 6

Sounds like you did everything right but I don't like the Wilton brand, I think it is a lot softer. There will be lumps but you can always just knead them back in. Here's a video I did awhile ago showing me making it and making a rose:

SaraM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraM Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 6

Serious Cakes - it was your you tube video that I had already watched! I did see the other candy brand, so maybe I will give that one a try too.

Thanks!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 6

lol! Yeah, I recently used Wilton's brand and was not happy with it. For one thing the white wasn't white, it was tan. For another it was definitely softer than what I'm used to working with. Bleh, no more!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 6

You didn't mention what type of chocolate you used, but I used different amounts of chocolate to corn syrup and treat different chocolates slightly differently. I use the recipe and instructions in Toba Garretts book on cookies, and it works wonderfully! Now if I could just figure out how to have cooler hands, that would help immensely! icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%